PDA

View Full Version : Goblin Summoner!

Dopplegengar
2016-08-03, 08:07 PM
Hey all! Really new to DnD/Pathfinder stuff and my DM told me about this place. I hope this is the right place for this and if not please excuse me! So here an idea for a character that I really would love to play later on. Gwog (name subject to change), a Goblin that runs a little to the left while other goblins are sprinting to the right. He's always been picked on for having a slightly kinder heart than the others. Thanking people for food, making his bed, waving. He's even gotten in a few fights just for showing an interest in reading. Never really knowing too much outside his own tribe Gwog has so far been content where he's at. Until a day when terror hopped into his village. A giant toad looking monstrosity crashes over the crude wooden gate and starts feeding on all of his frein- er comrad- uhmm...other goblins. Scared ****less Gwog runs away accidently running face first into a hut. There he lied for several hours unconscious and covered in ****. When he awoke he found the toad looking thing was staring right at him. Gwog tried to run away but the monster would just hop right behind. Gazing now at a destroyed home Gwog realized he had to go. But where? Anywhere. With nothing holding him back, it was his time to live his life and maybe figure out why this monster was following him. Or why it destroyed everything but him. Thinking about it too much hurt Gwog's head. It was time to sleep. Again. But on purpose this time. Lemme know what you all think ^^ I can't wait to get into this community!

Waker
2016-08-03, 08:10 PM
Are you here looking for build advice or roleplaying ideas?

Dopplegengar
2016-08-03, 08:16 PM
Roleplay ideas would be nice! And I don't know too much about summoners. I was reading a bit on a pdf I got from a Humble Bundle. Sadly I didn't get a whole lot that I didn't already know from it. What is a Summoner's main stat even?

Waker
2016-08-03, 08:34 PM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner
Charisma is the stat used for a Summoner's casting. I will say though, at least from the description you gave on your character that Summoner might not be the best fit. The big draw of the class is that aside from having conjuration magic, they have access to a tailor-made outsider called an Eidolon. The toad you are describing seems more of a big monster that followed your goblin home. To that end, maybe look at the Cavalier class, more specifically the Beast Rider archetype.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/cavalier

Extra Anchovies
2016-08-03, 08:53 PM
The title of the thread made me think of a character who summons goblins. I want to try building that sometime.

That being said, I do think Beast Rider Cavalier would be a good choice, with a Giant Frog or Toad as a mount. Summoner seems like a pet-focused class, but a lot of their strength is actually from their Summon Monster SLA, which doesn't fit terribly well with the backstory concept you have in mind.

Dopplegengar
2016-08-03, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the tip! Yeah I had it at first as if it was just a monster toad randomly around but I have some story ideas that would extrapolate on what it really is. Being a Goblin puts me at a disadvantage in the charisma department. The idea I have for the Eidolon is a Toad back with the arms of a bat and nose of a vampire bat. I feel like the reach abilities an Eidolon can evolve to get are fitting to a toad. I'm not sure how to upload pictures or if I can at all, but I'd love to show what I had in mind. But Cavalier is something I'll look into as well.

Extra Anchovies
2016-08-03, 09:12 PM
Being a Goblin puts me at a disadvantage in the charisma department.

It does indeed. Perhaps you could talk to your GM about swapping the penalty to Int?

The idea I have for the Eidolon is a Toad back with the arms of a bat and nose of a vampire bat. I feel like the reach abilities an Eidolon can evolve to get are fitting to a toad. I'm not sure how to upload pictures or if I can at all, but I'd love to show what I had in mind. But Cavalier is something I'll look into as well.

You might want to take a look at Evolved Companion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/evolved-companion), a feat which lets you add 1-point evolutions to your companion. Limbs are a 2-point evolution, but you could at least use the feat to give your frog the scent ability.

Waker
2016-08-03, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the tip! Yeah I had it at first as if it was just a monster toad randomly around but I have some story ideas that would extrapolate on what it really is. Being a Goblin puts me at a disadvantage in the charisma department. The idea I have for the Eidolon is a Toad back with the arms of a bat and nose of a vampire bat. I feel like the reach abilities an Eidolon can evolve to get are fitting to a toad. I'm not sure how to upload pictures or if I can at all, but I'd love to show what I had in mind. But Cavalier is something I'll look into as well.

When you say arms of a bat, do you mean bat wings? If you do go the Cavalier route, use Anchovies suggestion on that feat. You could also ask your DM if taking the feat multiple times would let you access higher evolutions.

Dopplegengar
2016-08-04, 06:18 AM
When you say arms of a bat, do you mean bat wings? If you do go the Cavalier route, use Anchovies suggestion on that feat. You could also ask your DM if taking the feat multiple times would let you access higher evolutions.

Yes indeed I meant bat wings for the front arms XD sorry for not being very clear. My DM is pretty chill so it could work out. I really feel like a Cavalier then would work better as I'd get to keep the toad out the whole time which is cool. I know toads are pretty good at hiding and I think Goblins get some sort of stealth riding? I'm not too certain. You two have been really helpful! I know I was pretty vague on the help I was seeking.

khadgar567
2016-08-04, 06:23 AM
if you want to geab wing and still play cavalier I advice shere cavalier from spheres of power tou can use alteration sphere to get wings

Gallowglass
2016-08-04, 08:53 AM
welcome to the board!

https://s31.postimg.org/5c4n8yuaj/frogbat.png

khadgar567
2016-08-04, 09:06 AM
welcome to the board!

want to say ugly but considering a mad goblin experiment damn thing is cute

Gallowglass
2016-08-04, 09:12 AM
want to say ugly but considering a mad goblin experiment damn thing is cute

Hims Mommy's widdle wiggins, yes he is.

Dopplegengar
2016-08-07, 08:48 AM
welcome to the board!

WOW! THANK YOU! I've been away from my computer for a while so I didn't even see this until now! Thanks for taking the time!