PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone not allow feats in their games?

treecko
2016-08-03, 08:58 PM
I'm honestly curious if anyone on this forum doesn't allow feats in their game. While the rules for whatever reason have them as optional, it feels like fighter and rogue were balanced around feats to compete powerwise with other options like barbarian and paladin. On the other hand, the general consensus is that the feats are unbalanced and need some tweaking.

So how about you guys? Do you play with feats as is, homebrew, or none at all?

Zman
2016-08-03, 08:59 PM
Haven't seen any games without feats.

Is use my Tweaks, see my signature, that rebalances some of the feats and adds more to fill other niches.

Shaofoo
2016-08-03, 09:14 PM
I allow feats but ban VHumans.

Daishain
2016-08-03, 09:19 PM
There are apparently several people that have disallowed feats in their games, and a few that swear doing so improves their games. However, my impression is that both groups are a small minority both on these boards and out there in the world.

In fact, one of the most popular house-rule types I've seen grant an extra feat or half feat at L1. With banning or adjustment of Vhuman commonly paired with such

Not particularly surprising, far too many people see feats as a default expectation for it to noticeably go the other way

treecko
2016-08-03, 09:25 PM
Haven't seen any games without feats.

Is use my Tweaks, see my signature, that rebalances some of the feats and adds more to fill other niches.

Man, I love your tweaks but the feats you made I feel mess with AC on classes that were balanced to have a low AC.

ZenBear
2016-08-03, 09:39 PM
I feel like a lot of character builds/concepts simply don't work until you get one feat or another, so I prefer to grant a free Feat at level 1 for everyone. Even then I don't remove the VHuman, they get two feats instead of one. I find that most players don't play VHuman at that point though. I think a game completely devoid of Feats would be strictly worse.

Degwerks
2016-08-03, 10:46 PM
Our game doesn't allow feats or multiclassing. We have been able to get some magic items made though.

Zman
2016-08-03, 10:49 PM
Man, I love your tweaks but the feats you made I feel mess with AC on classes that were balanced to have a low AC.

I don't want to derail this too much, but please give me your feedback in my thread.

I'm curious what classes you mean? I created four Unarmored feats, one for Int, Wis, and Cha, and a 13+Dex Armor. The Wis feat already existed for Monks, and none of them break bounded accuracy nor can be combined with Armor, Shields, or together. All come at the opportunity cost of a feat and possible magical armor or shields.

Even if a character starts with 2 16s in the relevant stats it still requires 1 Feat and 2ASI to max Unarmored at AC18, 1 Feat and 4ASI to max the other three. Max AC is AC20, or comparable to a 1 level dip for Plate+Shield, actually less for Fiter with Defence.

I'm curious as to what classes you think this breaks, I can only think of are Lore Bard, Maybe Non Blade Warlock, and Maybe Wizard. And I don't think spending a feat and targeted ASIs late game on Dex really breaks the game. Consider the opportunity cost is say Warcaster or Resilient Con or +2 Con etc. Warlock and Wizard can only net a +2 AC over Mage Armor once they max Dex so +1 AC at 4th level, +2AC at 8th+ for a Feat. If they choose at 1st level, they get less benefit from it that a feat till lvls4 and 8, and if they choose it later they do so at a big opportunity Cost. A 10 Dex Character with Medium Armor Proficiemcy can jump from AC 15 to AC 18 with a single feat.

I feel they allow more viable character concepts to be realized, maintain bounded accuracy, and give classes that have few ASI/Feat choices actual competitive options.