PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Cleric (Warlock Style)

R.Shackleford
2016-08-03, 11:17 PM
I wanted to share my Cleric made to the style of the warlock. I'm going to put at least the Sorcerer and Druid to this too. I'll update the warlock to change a couple things too.

I just prefer the warlock style casting.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/r1KbWmeF

I'm changing this to a 10 level class.

Level 11+ prayers will be deleted.

Additional Prayers

Armor of Light
You can cast Shield of Faith on yourself at will, without expending a spell slot or material components. The duration of the spell becomes 8 hours.

Note: it's only 8 hours because you don't want players telling you every minute *I cast this spell*

DracoKnight
2016-08-04, 06:51 AM
I wanted to share my Cleric made to the style of the warlock. I'm going to put at least the Sorcerer and Druid to this too. I'll update the warlock to change a couple things too.

I just prefer the warlock style casting.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/r1KbWmeF

I like it so far. One of the Divine Prayers I would recommend you add:

Searing Flames
Prerequisite: The Sacred Flame cantrip

When your target makes a saving throw against your sacred flame they take full damage on a failed saving throw, or half as much on a successful saving throw.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-04, 07:45 AM

Searing Flames

When your target makes a saving throw against your sacred flame they take full damage on a failed saving throw, or half as much on a successful saving throw.

I like that a lot more than just copying thr warlock.

BurchardOfEn
2016-08-04, 07:49 AM
I can already imagine that Warcaster being an Invocation-like could be a serious issue. I'm also hesitant about giving Heavy Armor Proficiency through an Invocation-like rather than dropping it or tying it to the War domain (the effective Bladelock equivalent).

I will give, however, that I am a fan of the Warlock chasis, and I would probably make nearly all of my caster characters Warlocks if not for the non-at-will spell Invocation options being pretty inferior.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-04, 12:25 PM
I can already imagine that Warcaster being an Invocation-like could be a serious issue. I'm also hesitant about giving Heavy Armor Proficiency through an Invocation-like rather than dropping it or tying it to the War domain (the effective Bladelock equivalent).

I will give, however, that I am a fan of the Warlock chasis, and I would probably make nearly all of my caster characters Warlocks if not for the non-at-will spell Invocation options being pretty inferior.

Clerics, even light, already get access to heavy armor. The ones that don't are one feat away from heavy armor.

Putting it as a prayer allows for a player to customize their cleric instead of the game customizing their character.

Much like warlocks and mage armor (I'm not a fan of how Dex it makes the warlock tho).

The Warcaster prayer is replacing the feat for the cleric because clerics won't be able to take feats. They won't need to (my personal touch to this). Other feats can be prayers too, or modified feats at least.

If I need to make prayers there's no reason to not do it "right" :p

The cleric as I have it already gets part of warcaster in the base class. They can use their deity's favored weapon as a focus.

I think warcaster will just give spell to OA.

Another prayer will give advantage on concentration checks versus damage.

Then other prayers give a bunch of different cool things (that aren't just you cast this spell) and then the "just you cast this spell" will be the 1/day spell (6th or higher spells).

DracoKnight
2016-08-04, 12:30 PM
Much like warlocks and mage armor (I'm not a fan of how Dex it makes the warlock tho).

Is it just me, or should mage armor be: "Your AC = 13 + your spellcasting modifier"? It seems really weird that mage armor functions like martial armor, and doesn't take into account the individual's spell prowess (also never scaling beyond level 1.

EDIT: R.Shackleford, why does this write up of the cleric get more spell slots than the Warlock?

BurchardOfEn
2016-08-04, 12:51 PM
Clerics, even light, already get access to heavy armor. The ones that don't are one feat away from heavy armor.

True, but a feat is a pretty decent sized tax on a character's options. Although if you are going to have Prayers be able to function as feat-likes, then this is the least of your worries since armor proficiencies aren't anywhere near the strongest feats.

The Warcaster prayer is replacing the feat for the cleric because clerics won't be able to take feats.

Seeing as the Cleric is getting the same number of Invocation-likes as the Warlock, it seems like the Cleric as you're making it would be having far more Invocation-like competition than its PHB Warlock brother.

The cleric as I have it already gets part of warcaster in the base class. They can use their deity's favored weapon as a focus.

I'm pretty sure that they could already do this, but I also did not know that you intended for Prayers to replace feats initially.

I'll keep an eye on how this goes.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-04, 10:53 PM
Is it just me, or should mage armor be: "Your AC = 13 + your spellcasting modifier"? It seems really weird that mage armor functions like martial armor, and doesn't take into account the individual's spell prowess (also never scaling beyond level 1.

EDIT: R.Shackleford, why does this write up of the cleric get more spell slots than the Warlock?

The designers have a way of thinking about game balance that is like... Showing up to a hockey game in basketball gear.

The warlock will get a tweak to look a little more like the cleric. Currently pact spells aren't sure automatically added to your known list, you must select them, I don't like that.

True, but a feat is a pretty decent sized tax on a character's options. Although if you are going to have Prayers be able to function as feat-likes, then this is the least of your worries since armor proficiencies aren't anywhere near the strongest feats.

Seeing as the Cleric is getting the same number of Invocation-likes as the Warlock, it seems like the Cleric as you're making it would be having far more Invocation-like competition than its PHB Warlock brother.

I'm pretty sure that they could already do this, but I also did not know that you intended for Prayers to replace feats initially.

I'll keep an eye on how this goes.

Prayers aren't directly replacing feats. Prayers are a way to customize your character in a fluffy way.

The Armor prof is not all that different from mage armor... If this is a bad prayer then is mage armor a bad

Some prayers and invocations will overlap. I do plan on fixing some of the warlocks Invocations.

I think if they designed the cleric and warlock side by side then some of these would have been already done.

BurchardOfEn
2016-08-04, 11:35 PM
The Armor prof is not all that different from mage armor... If this is a bad prayer then is mage armor a bad

I said that if the Prayers were going to be able to grant feats that armor proficiency isn't comparatively a great feat option compared to others such as PAM or Warcaster.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-05, 08:58 AM
I said that if the Prayers were going to be able to grant feats that armor proficiency isn't comparatively a great feat option compared to others such as PAM or Warcaster.

Not directly 1 prayer = 1 feat

(What is this, Facebook? :p)

But the feats that a cleric typically would want/need to "cleric better" will be incorporated into prayers in some way.

A form of Warcaster, Resilient, Elemental Adept, and Spell Sniper would be given to the Cleric, Warlock, and any other casters that gets "Warlocked". Combat feats and other feats will be for martial classes, the cleric (and others) already get a ton of class specific options to customize themselves, the cleric just shouldn't have access to PAM or GWM, they are too busy working on their spellcasting ability to branch off like that.

Clerics don't have a need for feats before they got more customization and they won't need it now. Cleric, Warlock, and other casters are the best classes to run in a no feat game.

If these classes were designed this way from the beginning I think something like this would have happened much like how there are simular spells and abilities that the wiz/sor gets.

Side Note

I have a list of feats that will be part of a background choice. These are typically fluff filled half feats and you don't get the ASI of they normally give them.

Background Feats
Actor
Alert
Athlete
Dungeon Delver
Durable
Healer
Inspiring Leader
Keen Mind
Linguist
Tough

With this you can have two PCs with soldier background but one of them could have been a field medic (Healer) and the other a squad leader (Inspiring Leader).

====

update edit

Searing Flames

I added your searing flame but also added...

"Radiant Savant
Prerequisites: 5th Level, Sacred Flame Cantrip

Whenever you cast Sacred Flame you may target multiple creatures within range instead of just one.

At 5th level you may target 2 creatures, at 11th level you may target 3 creatures, and at 17th level you may target 4 creatures. Split up the damage from Sacred Flame between each target (minimum 1d8). "

So if you are 5th level and have this prayer, you may target two goblins. Your sacred flame deals 2d8 damage normally, so each goblin would take 1d8 damage (save negates).

If you take both prayers, on a save each goblin would take 1d8 damage (save half).