PDA

View Full Version : Daughter Of The Lilies: It's got Elves and Orcs and Demontoads

Gildedragon
2016-08-03, 11:50 PM
Is anyone else reading this?
Thoughts? Opinions?
Orrig fanclub knitted sweaters?

Draconium
2016-08-10, 12:13 AM
Hey, someone else is reading this! It's pretty interesting so far. Orrig is the best Team Dad, in my opinion. :smallbiggrin:

For anyone that's interesting, here is the link (http://www.daughterofthelilies.com/about) to the description, the link (http://www.daughterofthelilies.com/dotl/chapter-1-our-wild-bretheren) to the first page, and the link (http://daughterofthelilies.com/) to the current page.

GAAD
2016-08-10, 02:00 AM
Huh. Pretty decent. I can tell a lot of worldbuilding went in this. I think I'll check back on this every once in a while. :smallsmile:

Brance_a_Lot
2016-08-23, 10:38 PM
I have only one complaint, it was way too fast to go through the archives! :smallwink:

In relation with that, the romance part of the comic is slow to start, but I feel like it will come around eventually. I'm excited to see what they have in store for the future.

wobner
2016-09-06, 11:05 PM
I have only one complaint, it was way too fast to go through the archives! :smallwink:

In relation with that, the romance part of the comic is slow to start, but I feel like it will come around eventually. I'm excited to see what they have in store for the future.

F.Y.I. to anyone else starting, following the book from page 1, mine stopped at the end of chapter 2, I.e. no next and last button, I thought I had already reached the end. There are 5 chapters though, all accessible from the archive. but at least for me, as of a day or two ago, traversing from page 1 hit a little snag.

not that you still don't go through the archives way too fast

aurilee
2016-09-07, 08:47 AM
Just checked this out...I like the art and so far the story is intriguing.

And it updates Tuesdays and Thursdays which fits nicely into my schedule. :smallsmile:

-D-
2016-09-07, 09:19 AM
Just checked this out...I like the art and so far the story is intriguing.

And it updates Tuesdays and Thursdays which fits nicely into my schedule. :smallsmile:
It's got a solid setup and intriguing premise and the updates do fit into my whole between Erfworld, Unsounded and Hero Oh Hero.

aurilee
2016-09-07, 09:58 AM
It's got a solid setup and intriguing premise and the updates do fit into my whole between Erfworld, Unsounded and Hero Oh Hero.

For me I've also got Wilde Life and YAFGC (more or less) on MWF, plus Poppy O'Possum when it's updating. So another Tuesday/Thursday comic is a welcome relief.

I'm well into the archives now and really enjoying this story. It's been a while since I've had a good archive binge. :smallbiggrin:

halfeye
2016-09-07, 10:10 AM
Is it on hiatus? the last three posts seem to be filler.

Draconium
2016-09-07, 10:24 AM
Is it on hiatus? the last three posts seem to be filler.

Only for this week. They've decided to take one week-long break every so often so they don't get overworked. Not to worry, it should be back next Tuesday.

Narkis
2016-09-07, 07:23 PM
So, I've just caught up to the last comic. I rather like it so far, it has good art, interesting characters, a fascinating world and a story that seems to go places. I'll definitely be following along.

-D-
2016-09-15, 04:17 AM
Yay, new comic.

I like the attitude of these comics - very optimistic.

Leewei
2016-09-15, 10:05 AM
Yay, new comic.

I like the attitude of these comics - very optimistic.

I like the characterizations. The art reminds me a bit of LFG, which isn't bad, but still a bit jarring given the very different (better) tone DotL has.

archon_huskie
2016-11-11, 03:47 PM
Oh goody it is updating again!

aurilee
2016-11-11, 04:05 PM
Oh goody it is updating again!

And well worth the wait. ^_^

archon_huskie
2016-11-21, 07:40 AM
Big Toad go boom!

Sarcasticles
2016-12-13, 02:15 PM
'Bout time Wu finally showed up. Epic page is epic.

Rockphed
2016-12-13, 02:34 PM
I got pointed at this last night and read the archives in one sitting. I have to say that this is a very solid fantasy story. I just wish the archive was deep enough that we actually got to see Brent pining after Thistle.

And, for everyone who just stumbles upon this, here is a link (http://www.daughterofthelilies.com/)!

aurilee
2016-12-13, 03:56 PM
Also the update today was gorgeous.

This comic has fantastic artwork overall, but today was just...yeah. It was awesome. ^_^

Draconium
2016-12-13, 04:15 PM
On the topic of today's update:

http://i.imgur.com/lA8E2DU.gif

Seriously, though, this page was absolutely beautiful. And I'm not just saying that because I'm biased by the content (although I am). :smalltongue:

Rockphed
2016-12-13, 07:26 PM
Seriously, though, this page was absolutely beautiful. And I'm not just saying that because I'm biased by the content (although I am). :smalltongue:

Any time you can have a splash page with a dragon resplendent fighting anything of its same size and feel like you are watching the battle between two gargantuan entities, it is a beautiful page.

So, theories about Master Wu:

1: He is a dragon who always looks like a dragon and is in residence at the magic academy for whatever reason. Probably because he likes magic and people and the magic academy is willing to provide him with food, shinies, and the occasional philosophical debate.

2: He can shape-shift between dragon and man, either as a result of his great magical strength or because of he is a dragon. He is the head of the school and sticks around for the same reasons human professors congregate in colleges and universities on Earth.

3: He is a powerful sorceror, but he is not the dragon. He is controlling it, either by summoning it from beyond or by exerting power over it. I suspect that if it were possible to summon dragons from beyond that people would be doing that instead of summoning demons to possess rats as is done with the Drackthmal.

-D-
2016-12-14, 05:32 AM
Where did this dragon appear from?

Morty
2016-12-14, 05:48 AM
An interesting comic and a fine addition to my list of regularly checked ones.

aurilee
2016-12-14, 09:39 AM
Any time you can have a splash page with a dragon resplendent fighting anything of its same size and feel like you are watching the battle between two gargantuan entities, it is a beautiful page.

So, theories about Master Wu:

1: He is a dragon who always looks like a dragon and is in residence at the magic academy for whatever reason. Probably because he likes magic and people and the magic academy is willing to provide him with food, shinies, and the occasional philosophical debate.

2: He can shape-shift between dragon and man, either as a result of his great magical strength or because of he is a dragon. He is the head of the school and sticks around for the same reasons human professors congregate in colleges and universities on Earth.

3: He is a powerful sorceror, but he is not the dragon. He is controlling it, either by summoning it from beyond or by exerting power over it. I suspect that if it were possible to summon dragons from beyond that people would be doing that instead of summoning demons to possess rats as is done with the Drackthmal.

We've seen him in his human form I believe, so possibly a dragon who can shapeshift, or possibly a human who can shapeshift. I don't think it's a summon though since we've been told that the dragon's name is Wu.

@-D-: The dragon made its "entrance" on page 5.55. And the students/people around have been shouting "get Master Wu!" for a while. So I guess he just finally showed up.

Rockphed
2016-12-14, 12:33 PM
We've seen him in his human form I believe, so possibly a dragon who can shapeshift, or possibly a human who can shapeshift. I don't think it's a summon though since we've been told that the dragon's name is Wu.

@-D-: The dragon made its "entrance" on page 5.55. And the students/people around have been shouting "get Master Wu!" for a while. So I guess he just finally showed up.

Well, on the opening page the alt text is "His name is Wu. He's a nice guy. We'll meet him in chapter 5.", so the dragon is obviously Master Wu. Where have we seen master Wu as a human before?

edit: is this (http://www.daughterofthelilies.com/dotl/519) master Wu in the last panel?

aurilee
2016-12-14, 03:29 PM
Well, on the opening page the alt text is "His name is Wu. He's a nice guy. We'll meet him in chapter 5.", so the dragon is obviously Master Wu. Where have we seen master Wu as a human before?

edit: is this (http://www.daughterofthelilies.com/dotl/519) master Wu in the last panel?

I believe so, yes.

Morty
2016-12-14, 03:35 PM
His colour scheme does match the dragon's, too.

Rockphed
2016-12-15, 08:13 PM
The one thing I don't like about Daughter of the Lilies: it is too short and too prone to take hiatuses. There simply isn't enough comic to dredge through to find all sorts of cool things that make more sense when combined with something from two chapters ago. However, there is one cool thing about the current page: we finally get to see exactly what a wizard is. Back in chapter 2, when Thistle was grumping at Brent, or was it the other way around, about problems with healing the chunk taken out of his arm by the Cave Elf, Thistle said that Brent needed a wizard to heal his arm. Somewhere else, probably in one of the character answer posts, it was mentioned that Wizards are the height of natural ability.

On this page, we get confirmation that Wu is a wizard, and a wizard is Wu. I wonder what Wu is going to have to say about Thistle growing a tree to cap a broken portal. I wonder what he is going to have to say to Thistle at all.