PDA

View Full Version : Question about Grease and Slick armor

Eladrinblade
2016-08-04, 05:58 AM
So, I was trying to find a way for a fighter to counter big-monster improved-grab grapples and whatnot, and the simplest way is via the grease spell, which grants a +10 bonus to resist grapples or escape stuff via escape artist. It lasts for one round per level, however, so an oil or other similar item would be very expensive.

Then I thought, "what about the slick armor enhancement?" ....only applies to escape artist checks. Why the difference between it and grease?

Reading this: tower shield FAQ (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17835372&postcount=3), I thought it might be cool to have a perma-greased tower shield, yet I don't really know if that's kosher or how it would be priced if so. Or even just a perma-greased suit of armor.

Any core way to resolve this short of a ring of free movement?

Darrin
2016-08-04, 06:50 PM
Third Eye Freedom (MIC) is only 2600 GP, but is 1/day. Otherwise, a dwarven buckler axe with the Freedom property (+5 enhancement, MIC) is around 36K, cheaper than the ring.

InvisibleBison
2016-08-04, 09:22 PM
In theory, according to the custom magic item creation guidelines, a continuous item of grease would cost 8,000 gp (2,000 * 1 * 1 * 4). I don't know of any similar magic items to compare it to, but that doesn't seem overpowered. It's about the same price as a continuous item of enlarge person, which gives smaller bonuses on grapple checks but also gives other benefits.