PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Invisibility and surprise?

Godrednu
2016-08-04, 08:01 AM
I can't figure out how this works. If something goes invisible on the middle of battle, is there some sort of bonus to their next attack? Do they get an extra turn as a surprise round, maybe? I'm just not sure how to continue a battle after a character or monster goes invisible m

RickAllison
2016-08-04, 08:34 AM
I can't figure out how this works. If something goes invisible on the middle of battle, is there some sort of bonus to their next attack? Do they get an extra turn as a surprise round, maybe? I'm just not sure how to continue a battle after a character or monster goes invisible m

No one can see them, which inflicts disadvantage on attacks against them and gives them advantage on any attacks against others. Additionally, they can Hide at any time while attempts to see them have disadvantage due to being heavily obscured.

A rogue who has Greater Invisibility cast on him can Sneak Attack with advantage followed by bonus action Hide to basically attack with impunity.

RSP
2016-08-04, 09:32 AM
Rick has it pretty well explained. Invisibilty alone only provides advantage to attack and disadvantage on attacks against the invisible creature, as well as the ability to hide without cover or obscurement.

However, Invisibilty does not provide disadvantage on attempts to see them, as it's impossible to see them without some sort of invisibility counter measure like See Invisibility.

Any Perception vs Stealth roll made between combatants, even when invisibility is involved, is still a straight up roll. Obviously barring any advantage or disadvantage otherwise imposed by the DM.

RickAllison
2016-08-04, 09:56 AM
Rick has it pretty well explained. Invisibilty alone only provides advantage to attack and disadvantage on attacks against the invisible creature, as well as the ability to hide without cover or obscurement.

However, Invisibilty does not provide disadvantage on attempts to see them, as it's impossible to see them without some sort of invisibility counter measure like See Invisibility.

Any Perception vs Stealth roll made between combatants, even when invisibility is involved, is still a straight up roll. Obviously barring any advantage or disadvantage otherwise imposed by the DM.

You're right, I was thinking of "dim light" for some reason.