PDA

View Full Version : Divine Abjurant Champion?

schreier
2016-08-04, 12:19 PM
Has anyone modified the class to be divine instead of arcane? There aren't a ton of great prestige classes on the divine class, and the class could really help a divine gish or theurge with caster level. If you compine with Divine Power, your caster level is your character level, right?

It seems pretty close to RAW - under Adaption, it says:

The abjurant champion can be made into a divine prestige class by altering the requirements and spellcasting progression.

Has anyone tried this? How close to RAW is this? Do you think people would have a problem with it?

Venger
2016-08-04, 12:29 PM
Has anyone modified the class to be divine instead of arcane? There aren't a ton of great prestige classes on the divine class, and the class could really help a divine gish or theurge with caster level. If you compine with Divine Power, your caster level is your character level, right?

It seems pretty close to RAW - under Adaption, it says:

The abjurant champion can be made into a divine prestige class by altering the requirements and spellcasting progression.

Has anyone tried this? How close to RAW is this? Do you think people would have a problem with it?

I can't really see any reason that would be problematic. It'd help out with divine gish types and would allow them to keep up casting. Yeah, divine power would in fact do that. tell us how it goes.

Troacctid
2016-08-04, 12:42 PM
I don't think it's accurate to say that divine casters are lacking in gish prestige classes. There are plenty of good options to choose from, especially if you're a cleric.

That being said, most prestige classes can be switched from arcane to divine or vice versa without balance problems.

BowStreetRunner
2016-08-04, 01:11 PM
I would replace the Abjurant Armor ability in a divine version for two reasons. First, divine casters are rarely as limited in armor options as arcane casters as they do not have the failure chance and do have the proficiencies. Second, there aren't going to be many spells on a divine caster's list that qualify for the ability. Shield was the arcane staple for Abjurant Armor.

Instead I would focus on the divine list of abjuration spells that are aimed at other creatures and give divine Abjurant Champions an ability that increases the save DC of their abjuration spells by their Abjurant Champion class level instead. It would make them better at banishing, dispelling evil, and that sort of thing.

Chronikoce
2016-08-04, 01:25 PM
Instead I would focus on the divine list of abjuration spells that are aimed at other creatures and give divine Abjurant Champions an ability that increases the save DC of their abjuration spells by their Abjurant Champion class level instead. It would make them better at banishing, dispelling evil, and that sort of thing.

That seems a bit too strong. +5 to the DC of banishing for taking an already good prestige class seems way way better than the personal buff to AC that you're replacing.

Arcane one gives you a moderate defensive buff but your divine version could end a fight by banishing the enemy.

BowStreetRunner
2016-08-04, 01:52 PM
That seems a bit too strong. +5 to the DC of banishing for taking an already good prestige class seems way way better than the personal buff to AC that you're replacing.

Arcane one gives you a moderate defensive buff but your divine version could end a fight by banishing the enemy.

To be honest, no one in our campaigns has ever actually tried to banish anything. The idea of making something go away that you could kill...well, it really doesn't seem to occur to anyone. (For that matter, turning undead is primarily used just to power divine metamagic.) So I don't have any experience to go on with regard to how powerful this bonus would be in practice. I was just trying to think of something divine abjuration did more than arcane abjuration.

schreier
2016-08-04, 01:54 PM
Also the Adaptation section says:
"The abjurant champion can be made into a divine prestige class by altering the requirements and spellcasting progression."

Granted, it's guidance - but I can see taking that as RAW - you just change:

Spellcasting: Must be able to cast 1st-level arcane spells, including at least one abjuration spell. to "Must be able to cast 1st-level divine spells, including at lesat one abjuration spell)"

then change:
Spellcasting to be an increase in divine spellcasting

As far as special abilities -
Abjurant armor doesn't necessary need to change, even if it is rarely applicable
Extended Abjuration doesn't need to change at all
Swift Abjuration doesn't need to chance at all
Arcane Boost - becomes Divine boost, and you burn divine spell slots
Martial Arcanist become Martial Divinst - raising caster level of a divine class.

I think that's all I'd change to make it as direct a port as possible

Some mentioned other classes they adapt - out of curiosity, which classes are good fits?

Troacctid
2016-08-04, 02:58 PM
Altering the spellcasting progression means nerfing it. The designers (or some of them, at least) believed that since divine magic is naturally better suited for combat than arcane magic, combat-focused prestige classes for arcane casters could be stronger to compensate. (In other words, they weren't worried about giving full BAB to Abjurant Champion because they knew it would only be compensating for the wizard's poor BAB and average out to medium.) As a corollary, adapting such a class for divine casters necessitates an adjustment for balance. The adaptation section for the Enlightened Fist in Complete Arcane discusses this philosophy.

Personally, I think this is another case of the designers overrating BAB. I would leave the spellcasting progression the same.

Andezzar
2016-08-04, 03:02 PM
Abjurant armor doesn't necessary need to change, even if it is rarely applicableIt's not like there are many applicable arcane spells either. Unless I missed something there is Shield, Protection from [Alignment], Luminious Armor and its greater cousin.

Some mentioned other classes they adapt - out of curiosity, which classes are good fits?Cleric.

BowStreetRunner
2016-08-04, 03:13 PM
It's not like there are many applicable arcane spells either. Unless I missed something there is Shield, Protection from [Alignment], Luminious Armor and its greater cousin.
Only those that give an armor or shield bonus, so even the Protection from Alignment spells don't count. On the other hand, Ectoplasmic Armor gets a boost, even if it is only against incorporeal attacks. However, for a divine caster Shield and Ectoplasmic Armor are generally not available so it would only be Luminous and Greater Luminous Armor - effectively making it a class ability that only works with a single pair of Sanctified spells.

Gullintanni
2016-08-04, 03:42 PM
Only those that give an armor or shield bonus, so even the Protection from Alignment spells don't count. On the other hand, Ectoplasmic Armor gets a boost, even if it is only against incorporeal attacks. However, for a divine caster Shield and Ectoplasmic Armor are generally not available so it would only be Luminous and Greater Luminous Armor - effectively making it a class ability that only works with a single pair of Sanctified spells.

The Divine Magician ACF could be used to pick up Shield...and really any Abjuration a Divine Abjurant Champion could want.