PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Brawling Blood Hunter

Fightmaster
2016-08-04, 03:14 PM
So my current character in my duet campaign might die soon, and I was wondering how effective a dip in monk might be for a blood hunter. I was most likely going order of the profane soul and maybe do a Monk 5/ Bloodhunter 15 split. What are your thoughts?

Citan
2016-08-04, 05:44 PM
Hi.

Seems you are talking about a homebrew class. Could you please tell us a bit about its main features? It would help advise you. ;)

Fightmaster
2016-08-04, 07:24 PM
Oh my mistake, I was referring to Matt Mercer's Blood Hunter class which can be found on dmsguild.com for free. It's a d10 martial class that gets light and medium armor, simple and martial weapons, and has health reducing features such as reducing maximum hit points in exchange for additional damage or crowd control. Specifically concerning me is the order of the profane soul archetype. It's basically a warlock's casting with an eldritch knight's war magic. You'd be better served looking at the class on the site than hearing it from me though :smallredface:

jaappleton
2016-08-05, 07:10 AM
Monk and Blood Hunter is very versatile... Though I do NOT recommend Profane Soul if you're multiclassing. You're already a 1/3rd caster if you go Profane Soul, and further delaying its progression is a poor idea, IMO.

Monk and BH go together well. You get the Monks Unarmored Defense, and with BH only getting Light and Medium armor with NO shield proficiency, stealing Unarmored Defense from the Monk fixes that pretty well.

If you go Profane Soul, I'd go pure BH and utilize Archery. Focus on spells that are can help get you advantage and debilitate your foes. You'd play it much like a Supernatural Ranger.

If you insist on going Melee with a BH, I'd really look at the Ghost Slayer archetype. I may have gotten it's name wrong, but you know the one. Much more geared for Melee. A note about brawling, however; Your damage per round will essentially max out pretty early. Think about it; You get two attacks, maybe a bonus action attack. Three. If you're brawling, you're only taking Monk until you get a d6... Maybe. So 3d6 + 15. Plus your Rite damage. But your DM will make you use your Rite on each fist, lowering your HP.

If you DO dip Monk, but I actually do recommend you do for a BH, I really suggest that you utilize a Quarterstaff. It's a Monk weapon, it's a d8, and your Rite would only have to be applied once to it. Polearm Master nets you the bonus attack.

RSP
2016-08-05, 07:55 AM
Actually, Mercer updated the BH to specifically state it takes 2 uses of a rite to effect the butt end of a weapon usable with PAM, so it would still require using the rite twice, just like going unarmed.

JackOfAllBuilds
2016-08-05, 09:46 AM
The only one that doesn't take 2 rites is the Order of the Lycan that was released later separately. One use of the rite affects both hands that turn into claws when you shift

JakOfAllTirades
2016-08-05, 11:01 AM
Multiclassed Monk/Blood Hunters have one really good thing going for them: using the Crimson Rite on a weapon lasts 8 hours or until it leaves your grip. But if the weapon in question is your fist that's not an issue at all; you're guaranteed to have your Crimson Rite active for 8 hours without worrying about keeping your weapon in your grasp at all times.