PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Nothic as a Player Race

Goober4473
2016-08-04, 10:20 PM
It's still a ways off, but I'm planning to run some Planescape sometime soon, and one of my players expressed interest in playing a Nothic, which we encountered when she was DMing Lost Mines of Phandelver last week. I love the idea, and I want to make it possible, but I'd also like to make sure it's balanced with other PCs.

How would you go about making a nothic PC race? The main points of weirdness, as I see them, are:

Truesight. Nothics get 120 foot truesight by default. I could probably replace this with 60-foot darkvision and be fine.
Rotting gaze. This could either be limited like the dragonborn breath weapon, or perhaps be weakened and turned into more of a cantrip.
Weird insight. This is the toughest one, because while it's not actually that powerful (as it's "one fact or secret" of the DM's choice), but making those checks constantly could get old. Perhaps a limit of once per long rest per creature?

The Nothic has very high Dex and Con, but it might be most interesting to give them +2 Dex (or Con?), and +1 Int.

Keen Sight could either work as-is, or be turned into proficiency in Perception to make it more PCish.

Perhaps free proficiency in Arcana, or maybe your choice of Arcana, History, Nature, or Religion, due to all the stolen knowledge?

ClintACK
2016-08-05, 01:29 AM
Ooh. Sounds very cool.

Truesight: This is one of the key features of a Nothic, but situationally really powerful. Maybe have it level in -- darkvision 120' to start, then Truesight as an action 3/long rest at 5th level and Truesight 120' at 10th level or something like that?

Rotting Gaze: This one's the easiest. Treat it like a bonus cantrip -- let the damage scale with level like cantrips do. (Maybe 2d6 base, 3d6 at 5th, etc... given that it's no damage on a save and short range?)

Weird Insight: Good idea to make this 1/long rest/creature. I'd suggest you have fun with this one. It's "Weird" Insight -- let the Nothic PC learn that the Sensate Modron they've just met has tried 632 distinct alcoholic beverages, mixed and otherwise. Or that the fiendish dire bear they're about to fight broke a tooth once on a Legion Devil's breastplate.

Skills: The Nothic as written gets proficiency in Arcana, Perception, and Stealth, and expertise in Insight. So I'd *definitely* give the Nothic PC class proficiency in Insight. Probably Insight and Perception.

Stats are tough -- 14-16-16-13-10-8. Assume that came from a Standard Array, and it looks like a +2,+1,+1,+1 -- or a +2/+1 and one ASI? Maybe +1 Dex, +1 Con, +1 Int?

Cool and flavorful Monster -- not at all sure what kind of PC to build off one.

MrStabby
2016-08-05, 03:36 AM
Mainly agreeing with ClintACK, but just wanted to add in that this seems like a very cool idea.

If you work out what a Nothic should have, then you can have this replace both the class and the background - so giving more skills proficiencies to the character is fine as they don't get background ones as well.

DracoKnight
2016-08-05, 03:45 AM
I have made a Nothic PC race, if you go to the homebrew thread stickied at the top of this forum. :smallsmile:

mgshamster
2016-08-05, 06:49 AM
I have made a Nothic PC race, if you go to the homebrew thread stickied at the top of this forum. :smallsmile:

It's here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?425030-The-Nothic-and-the-Magmin-as-PC-races-(PEACH))

ClintACK
2016-08-05, 08:39 AM

Very nice.

Ivellius
2016-08-05, 08:50 AM
This was what I suggested for someone who asked this question on Facebook a few days ago.

Nothic Traits

ASI: Your Intelligence increases by 2 and your Dexterity by 1 (swap in Charisma if you like, but the monster has low CHA).

Perceptive: You have proficiency with Insight and Perception checks. (Giving two is probably fine, but if you want to drop one or the other that also works.)

Keen Sight: You have advantage on Perception checks that require sight.

Weird Insight: As an action, you can force a creature to make a Deception check against an Insight check you make. If it fails, you learn some secret about them. You cannot use this feature on a single creature more than once per 24 hours.

Rotting Gaze: As an action, choose a creature within 30 feet. That creature must make a Constitution saving throw (DC equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier) or take 1d10 necrotic damage. This damage increases by 1d10 at 5th, 11th, and 17th level.

Truesight might be nice to work in, but I think all of that is plenty for a player race.

Goober4473
2016-08-05, 12:56 PM
This was what I suggested for someone who asked this question on Facebook a few days ago.

Nothic Traits

ASI: Your Intelligence increases by 2 and your Dexterity by 1 (swap in Charisma if you like, but the monster has low CHA).

Perceptive: You have proficiency with Insight and Perception checks. (Giving two is probably fine, but if you want to drop one or the other that also works.)

Keen Sight: You have advantage on Perception checks that require sight.

Weird Insight: As an action, you can force a creature to make a Deception check against an Insight check you make. If it fails, you learn some secret about them. You cannot use this feature on a single creature more than once per 24 hours.

Rotting Gaze: As an action, choose a creature within 30 feet. That creature must make a Constitution saving throw (DC equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier) or take 1d10 necrotic damage. This damage increases by 1d10 at 5th, 11th, and 17th level.

Truesight might be nice to work in, but I think all of that is plenty for a player race.

I think I like the +2 Int, +1 Dex best, despite the monster stats giving higher Dex/Con. It makes the thing feel both unique, and also fits the "insane wizard" thing.

Perhaps true sight would be a good racial feat for them? In the meantime, they should at least have darkvision 60 ft. I think maybe dropping Keen Sight for that fits fairly well, and keeps the mechanics more PC-style, just granting proficiency in Perception like elves.

They probably don't need any more skill proficiencies. I'd probably just recommend somethign liek Sage for a background.

I think I'll also toss on claws, since they're no better than short swords. Ultimately about as good as the racial weapon proficiency features of other races.

Here's what I've got:

Nothic Traits
Ability Score Increase. Your Intelligence score increases by 2, and your Dexterity score increases by 1.
Age. Nothics are functionally immortal, living for thousands of years if left to their own devices.
Alignment. Nothics are generally evil.
Size. Nothics are about the size of humans, but their hunched stature makes them appear shorter. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Claws. Your claws function as light, finesse melee weapons that deal 1d6 slashing damage. You are proficient in your claws and they count as monk weapons.
Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Perceptive. You have proficiency in the Insight and Perception skills.
Rotting Gaze. As an action, you can gaze at a creature within 30 feet of you that you can see. The target must make a Constitution saving throw, with a DC equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier, or take 1d10 necrotic damage. This damage increases by 1d10 at 5th level (2d10), 11th level (3d10), and 17th level (4d10).
Weird Insight. As an action, you can target one creature you can see within 30 feet. The target must contest its Charisma (Deception) check against your Wisdom (Insight) check. If you win, you magically learn one fact or secret about the target. The target automatically wins if it is immune to being charmed, or if you have targeted it with this ability since you last took a long rest.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Undercommon.

Optional Feat:
If your DM allows the use of feats from chapter 6 of the Player’s Handbook, your Nothic character has access to the following special feat.

Truesight
You gain truesight with a range of 120 feet.

mgshamster
2016-08-05, 01:38 PM
Seems a little powerful. I'd change the gaze attack to either once per long rest or a 5-6 recharge. And maybe make the claws d4 so they're not automatically more powerful than a starting monk.

Ace Jackson
2016-08-05, 03:15 PM
As an alternative note for rotting gaze rebalancing, drop it to a d8 and make the range 60 it's essentially a necrotic version of sacred flame, keyed off CON as opposed to WIS the save DC, and saving on CON vs DEX. A racial cantrip unique to Nothic PCs, a d10 base is unusual, but not impossible, might reduce the range a little more.

Goober4473
2016-08-05, 03:57 PM
As an alternative note for rotting gaze rebalancing, drop it to a d8 and make the range 60 it's essentially a necrotic version of sacred flame, keyed off CON as opposed to WIS the save DC, and saving on CON vs DEX. A racial cantrip unique to Nothic PCs, a d10 base is unusual, but not impossible, might reduce the range a little more.

Seems a little powerful. I'd change the gaze attack to either once per long rest or a 5-6 recharge. And maybe make the claws d4 so they're not automatically more powerful than a starting monk.

The gaze is no better than a cantrip. d10 with no rider effects at 30-foot range is actually a little below par. Overall no better than a high elf taking firebolt. Plus a nothic PC that already has reasonable attacks can't select something useful like prestidigitation or minor illusion.

As for the claws, even at d6 it's honestly pretty much a ribbon. A monk can use a quarterstaff (i.e. a stick) for equal effect. I carefully worded the claws as weapons, since martial arts and flurry of blows allow only unarmed strikes for extra attacks, not attacks with weapons. The only real benefit beyond say elf weapon training is that you can't be without weapons, but you also get only effectively scimitars, not four different weapons.

Given that, I'd compare the nothic to the high elf:

Ability scores are both +2/+1.
Both have darkvision.
Both get a cantrip or equivalent.
Elf weapon training is about equal to claws.
Both get Perception for free.
High elves get fey ancestry, trance, and an extra language.
Nothics get Insight for free and Weird Insight.

That feels roughly equivalent to me.

ClintACK
2016-08-05, 04:26 PM
Here's what I've got:

Nothic Traits
Ability Score Increase. Your Intelligence score increases by 2, and your Dexterity score increases by 1.
Age. Nothics are functionally immortal, living for thousands of years if left to their own devices.
Alignment. Nothics are generally evil.
Size. Nothics are about the size of humans, but their hunched stature makes them appear shorter. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Claws. Your claws function as light, finesse melee weapons that deal 1d6 slashing damage. You are proficient in your claws and they count as monk weapons.
Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Perceptive. You have proficiency in the Insight and Perception skills.
Rotting Gaze. As an action, you can gaze at a creature within 30 feet of you that you can see. The target must make a Constitution saving throw, with a DC equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier, or take 1d10 necrotic damage. This damage increases by 1d10 at 5th level (2d10), 11th level (3d10), and 17th level (4d10).
Weird Insight. As an action, you can target one creature you can see within 30 feet. The target must contest its Charisma (Deception) check against your Wisdom (Insight) check. If you win, you magically learn one fact or secret about the target. The target automatically wins if it is immune to being charmed, or if you have targeted it with this ability since you last took a long rest.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Undercommon.

Optional Feat:
If your DM allows the use of feats from chapter 6 of the Player’s Handbook, your Nothic character has access to the following special feat.

Truesight
You gain truesight with a range of 120 feet.

Looks good. Definitely playable and interesting. Very good for Arcane Trickster or Wizard.