PDA

View Full Version : Non-Lethal Custom Flail?

TheCreatorT
2016-08-04, 11:34 PM
Hey y'all. Right now I am making a character for fun during my free time, which is a LN warrior of Hextor (I am thinking Crusader, which will make for interesting story when Hextor does not like the Crusader's neutrality, but I am up for alternative ideas). I want him to wield a flail like Hextor, but in order to stress also that the character prefers the lawfulness of Hextor, I want him to also wield a flail that is suited for non-lethal damage. Do you guys think a custom flail for this purpose would be worth it? Also, how would you do it? I am thinking either 2 separate flails, a flail with an interchangeable head, or perhaps a Dire flail with one end for each type of damage. And finally, how much do you think it would cost? And finally, if you don't think this is worth it, should I just stick with feats etc. for non lethal?

Feel free to go crazy and come up with completely new ideas as well! As a reminder this is just for fun...

(I don't have time to play DnD :smallfrown:)

daremetoidareyo
2016-08-04, 11:47 PM
you want the merciful weapon enchantment. You can suppress its non-lethal damage ability and attack normally if you want.

fishyfishyfishy
2016-08-04, 11:48 PM
I believe the Merciful weapon enhancement is a +1 bonus. Does exactly what you want. You can change the damage back and forth between lethal and non-lethal.

If you are looking for a way to do this without magic then I've got nothing. I can't possibly imagine such a weapon as the flail being effective at all unless it's built to deal serious damage.

And don't get me started on the dire flail. That thing is absolutely ridiculous.

OldTrees1
2016-08-04, 11:56 PM
Remembering that this is just for fun and thus there is no DM, no context, and no need to stick to RAW:

Cost: There is no reason a non lethal only flail would cost more than a lethal (or non lethal at -4 attack) flail. So it would probably cost the same as a normal flail.

Appearance: Have you heard of a Sap? Imagine that instead of the spiked ball.

Value:
At low levels buying a backup non lethal weapon is a good investment.
However since having a backup magical weapon gets expensive, at mid levels it is cheaper to just suffer the -4 attack penalty for attacking non lethally with a lethal weapon.
Hitting only once with a basic non lethal weapon is also a valid option due to how non lethal damage is handled in 3rd edition but it might break immersion.
Finally the merciful enchantment exists (see daremetoidareyo's post). Although a -4 attack penalty is cheaper than forgoing what you would have enchanted your flail with instead of merciful.

Inevitability
2016-08-05, 04:54 AM
It's not easy to get into, but a dip in Justiciar would get you the ability to deal nonlethal damage with melee weapons and gives you +1d6 nonlethal 'sneak attack'. It'd also emphasize your character's lawful nature.

Gallowglass
2016-08-05, 08:17 AM
wrap a pillow around the flail ball.

Inevitability
2016-08-05, 08:39 AM
wrap a pillow around the flail ball.

*cough*damage penalties*cough*

Gallowglass
2016-08-05, 09:00 AM
*cough*damage penalties*cough*

wrap a spiked pillow around the flail?

Gallowglass
2016-08-05, 09:05 AM
It's not easy to get into, but a dip in Justiciar would get you the ability to deal nonlethal damage with melee weapons and gives you +1d6 nonlethal 'sneak attack'. It'd also emphasize your character's lawful nature.

Wow. The 3.5 Justiciar is way different than the pathfinder Justiciar (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/i-m/justiciar).

And way way more playable.

Gildedragon
2016-08-05, 12:04 PM
Port 3.5s Merciful Weapon enhancement (+1 cost)
Maybe ask the DM for a adaptation crystal that reduces the bonus damage but has the cost of an elemental adaptation crystal of equivalent quality
Refluff a truncheon?

prufock
2016-08-05, 12:17 PM
Take flail stats, add note 3 ("The weapon deals nonlethal damage rather than lethal damage") to the damage column, and make it an exotic weapon. It's basically a heavy sap on a stick.

OldTrees1
2016-08-05, 12:24 PM
Take flail stats, add note 3 ("The weapon deals nonlethal damage rather than lethal damage") to the damage column, and make it an exotic weapon. It's basically a heavy sap on a stick.

Isn't that strictly worse than a normal flail? Non proficiency is a -4 attack penalty just like attacking non lethally is a -4 attack penalty. However non proficiency can come with more drawbacks and normal flails can switch back to lethal damage. Better to leave the "heavy sap on a stick" as a martial weapon.

prufock
2016-08-05, 01:00 PM
Isn't that strictly worse than a normal flail? Non proficiency is a -4 attack penalty just like attacking non lethally is a -4 attack penalty. However non proficiency can come with more drawbacks and normal flails can switch back to lethal damage. Better to leave the "heavy sap on a stick" as a martial weapon.

In the same way that a sap is worse than a club, yes. Either way it's a feat tax - Exotic Weapon Proficiency or Subduing Strike.

Inevitability
2016-08-05, 01:42 PM
Wow. The 3.5 Justiciar is way different than the pathfinder Justiciar (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/i-m/justiciar).

And way way more playable.

Where did you get the idea this was a Pathfinder request?

Gallowglass
2016-08-05, 01:50 PM
Where did you get the idea this was a Pathfinder request?

I didn't. I just saw you talk about the 3.5 Justiciar and said "huh, that sounds totally different than the pathfinder version, lets go look it up".

Then I commented.

I was being conversational, not confrontational.

Inevitability
2016-08-05, 01:52 PM
I didn't. I just saw you talk about the 3.5 Justiciar and said "huh, that sounds totally different than the pathfinder version, lets go look it up".

Then I commented.

I was being conversational, not confrontational.

I see. Excuse me, then.