PDA

View Full Version : Can you get sneak attack damage with green-flame blade or booming blade?

Klorox
2016-08-05, 12:33 AM
Let's say I have a rogue who qualifies for sneak attack damage on an opponent. I decide to cast booming blade as my action; do I get sneak attack dice?

treecko
2016-08-05, 12:55 AM
Short answer: yes

Slightly longer answer: if the attack is still a finesse or ranged attack, it still qualifies for the sneak attack damage.

BurchardOfEn
2016-08-05, 01:23 AM
Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon.

Seeing as Green-Flame Blade and Booming Blade do make an attack roll as long as you're attacking with a finesse weapon, it should work. Since GFB and BB require a melee weapon, you can't use a ranged weapon though.

Klorox
2016-08-05, 03:10 AM
Seeing as Green-Flame Blade and Booming Blade do make an attack roll as long as you're attacking with a finesse weapon, it should work. Since GFB and BB require a melee weapon, you can't use a ranged weapon though.

Right. I just wanted to make sure, because sneak attack requires an attack, but GFB and BB are spells that have an attack as the somatic component (right?).

Grod_The_Giant
2016-08-05, 07:26 AM
Right. I just wanted to make sure, because sneak attack requires an attack, but GFB and BB are spells that have an attack as the somatic component (right?).
Incorrect; they have a WEAPON as a material component, and make a melee attack as part of the action to cast. But yes, you can sneak attack with them.