PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a new 'lock pact

CursedRhubarb
2016-08-05, 11:32 AM
Long post, sorry in advance. Been thinking about the new options warlocks have gotten with the UA that had come out but unless I've missed it, they've just all been new patron choices. Some of these are pretty nice but I was wondering what would be a nice new pact option? Then I thought, blade, chain, and tome let you get similarities to fighters, clerics, and wizards, why not a cursed similarity to druids? What could possibly fit that role, I hear you ask. The answer is simple, Lycanthropes! Granted they can be powerful so some adjustments would be needed.

So here is my idea. It can be called something like Pact of the Moon, Pact of the Curse, or Pact of the Change.

Starting at 3rd level when you pick the pact you gain a blessing or curse. This enables you to channel the power of your patron to change your physical form. A number of times per day equal to your constitution modifier (minimum 1) you can take the shape of a Lycanthrope's hybrid or animal form for up to an hour, during which you gain some of the features of the Lycanthrope. Doing so requires the use of a warlock spell slot equal to or greater than the CR of the form you take.

Your strength score is changed to that of the Lycanthrope and you gain resistance to non-magical non-silver bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage. You gain an extra attack while changed as well as the Lycanthropes perception proficiencies and bonuses. You can make special attacks granted by your form as described in the MM.

When using a Lycanthrope's animal form instead of hybrid form you lose the ability to speak verbally or cast spells until returning to your normal shape.

Equipment worn or carried does not change with you and can not be worn by your animal form.

This enables access to shapes at the following levels:

WL 3 (spell lvl 2) Wererat Strength 10 (+0)
WL 5 (spell lvl 3) Werewolf Strength 15 (+2)
WL 7 (spell lvl 4) Weretiger Strength 17 (+3)
WL 7 (spell lvl 4) Wereboar Strength 17 (+3)
WL 9 (spell lvl 5) Werebear Strength 19 (+4)

What do you guys think? The extra attack may be strong at 3rd lvl but having to sacrifice one of your 2 spell slots for it I thought would counter it a bit. Especially since locks only get 2 per rest until after gaining all the forms, limiting you to 1 non cantrip spell per combat until WL 11 if you change to hybrid for fights as much as possible.

Axorfett12
2016-08-05, 12:43 PM
It seems a little out of theme with the other pact boons. Perhaps such a concept is better as a patron. The Mooncursed perhaps. My take from reading the pact boons was that they were designed to grant useful options, and be useful and thematic for all pacts. A boon to grant lycanthrope form seems wierd to me. How does a fiend grant that? I can see a Fey perhaps doing it, but not the other patrons.

My take to granting druidic abilities would be something like the Pact of the Tooth.

You learn the Druidcraft cantrip. You can use your action to Wild Shape as a druid of your level. You may use this ability twice. You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

This allows the Warlock to gain a druidic feel without overshadowing any druids in a party. As the Wild Shape is limited to 2/day instead of short rest, a druid can Shape more often, and into greater forms if they are a Moon Druid. Also gains a thematic cantrip.

CursedRhubarb
2016-08-05, 01:15 PM
I thought about it as patron, but patrons more set your spell builds and offer additional spell options. Fey more cc, Fiend more damage, GOO more hazard and utility. This is more of just an ability that boosts melee and some utility like the pacts; any weapon, spellapalooza, super familiars. It seemed to fit thematically to me since Fey tend to be whimsical, fiends are nightmare fuel, and GOO fits into Lovecraft and psychological horror. All places where monsters fit nicely. If it was a patron, it would need more abilities as you level and an additional spell selection. Something to think about, perhaps necromancy and transmutation spells.

Axorfett12
2016-08-05, 01:22 PM
Understandable. Your idea is interesting. Idk how balanced it is, but it would be interesting to play.

CursedRhubarb
2016-08-05, 01:36 PM
Yeah, tweaks would be needed likely. Fun to think on and picture though.

Axorfett12
2016-08-05, 01:54 PM
Definitely. I know so many people who would love to play as a lycanthrope.