PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Teleporting Golems?

fikoantunes
2016-08-05, 12:39 PM
I want to make a trap room for my players as following:

It's a large room filled with lots of pillars. As soon everybody is in...
1) the doors get closed by magic;
2) the pillars start shooting lightning bolts
3) a number of Flesh Golems appear in the middle of the room

So the party has to divide themselves in order to deal with the golems (that are getting lots of temporary hp due to the lightning bolts) and destroying the pillars (to stop the damage and the buff to the golems)

My question is: how can I make the golems magically appear in the room? I mean, according the SRD, they are immune to all kind of magic that offers SR... Thanks in advance!

OldTrees1
2016-08-05, 12:42 PM
What is the height of the room? Do you mind if the golems take that much falling damage as they enter the room? If you are still reading then consider trap doors opened by magic as the magic closes the other doors.

Toilet Cobra
2016-08-05, 12:42 PM
The golems were always there- there was an illusion in place around them that dramatically disappears when the lightning trap is activated.

Gildedragon
2016-08-05, 01:11 PM
Another set of pillars; glass, filled with a murky liquid.
They will shatter from the lighting if PCs use them as cover for the lightning
Or are the metal girdered bases of the lightning (in this case the lightning rains down on the players)
Glass makes terrain difficult (treat as caltroped) and the golem's step out

Jay R
2016-08-05, 01:35 PM
Through the trap doors in the roof, that cannot be opened from below.

Don't use magic when the mundane will do.

Gildedragon
2016-08-05, 01:51 PM
They're covered in mud/stucco and dust and hang from brackets on the walls... Like macabre and lifelike atlantes or caryatids

fikoantunes
2016-08-05, 02:00 PM
What is the height of the room? Do you mind if the golems take that much falling damage as they enter the room? If you are still reading then consider trap doors opened by magic as the magic closes the other doors.

I can make the room just high enough to fit the golems; this can lead to an interesting entrance (role-playing wise)

The golems were always there- there was an illusion in place around them that dramatically disappears when the lightning trap is activated.

I considered that... But the party have too many ways to spot illusions.

Another set of pillars; glass, filled with a murky liquid.
They will shatter from the lighting if PCs use them as cover for the lightning
Or are the metal girdered bases of the lightning (in this case the lightning rains down on the players)
Glass makes terrain difficult (treat as caltroped) and the golem's step out

That would be nice! But due to the format of the room (and where I want the golems to pop up) it may lead the PCs to avoid some of the golems

Don't use magic when the mundane will do.

Ok, guess I will follow the non-magical route to surprise them

They're covered in mud/stucco and dust and hang from brackets on the walls... Like macabre and lifelike atlantes or caryatids

Another nice gore touch to the scene. Now I'm even considering letting the golems hanging by spiked chains carved in their profane flesh...

Zsaber0
2016-08-05, 02:23 PM
You, as the DM, can simply say that a bunch of golems appear, as if from nowhere.

If that doesn't float your boat, there is a 9th level spell in Players handbook II called summon golem that you might find useful.

OldTrees1
2016-08-05, 02:31 PM
You, as the DM, can simply say that a bunch of golems appear, as if from nowhere.

The DM is worried about verisimilitude. If golems in this DM's world are immune to some ways to appear, this DM wants to ensure the method they use is consistent with their world.

Psyren
2016-08-05, 03:49 PM
Just have whoever created the golems give them standard standing orders to keep their immunity suppressed until the trap/circle they're standing in triggers.

EDIT: typo

Inevitability
2016-08-05, 03:50 PM
An (invisible) wizard casts Teleport to move himself and the golems in, then uses Celerity + Dimension Door to get out before combat starts? It may require some CL-boosting, but nothing a semi-optimized wizard can't handle.

OldTrees1
2016-08-05, 03:52 PM
Just have whoever created the golems give them standard standing orders to keep their immunity suppressed until the trap/circle they're standing in triggers.

EDIT: typo

Can immunities even be suppressed?

Inevitability
2016-08-05, 04:16 PM

Well, Spell Immunity is just infinite SR, so a creature can voluntarily lower it.

Psyren
2016-08-05, 04:26 PM

It's a somewhat heavily debated topic, due to (a) language in the PHB that allows creatures to suppress magic immunities (the example given is the elf's ability to suppress their sleep immunity) and (b) the language that spell immunity inherits everything from SR except the ability to be "overcome", which doesn't preclude being undermined or switched off.

Bucky
2016-08-05, 05:59 PM
If you have no psi-magic transparency, you can use psionic teleportation on the golems.

You can also have the teleport caster dimensionally anchored in a way that doesn't affect the golems; I think the golems still go through.

Finally, although it's overkill, teleporting in some golems is easily within the means of a Wish spell.

Inevitability
2016-08-06, 07:49 AM
Finally, although it's overkill, teleporting in some golems is easily within the means of a Wish spell.

Perhaps, but such a wish would be non-safe. After all, SR still applies if you use a Wish to transport creatures.

Jack_Simth
2016-08-06, 12:25 PM
Perhaps, but such a wish would be non-safe. After all, SR still applies if you use a Wish to transport creatures.

There's a few ways around that (Dweomerkeeper comes to mind, an Efreeti with Supernatural Transformation, help from a Zodar, et cetera), but in general this is true.

Calthropstu
2016-08-06, 12:51 PM
Gate.

No SR is applied to walk through one.

Each golem has one, each gate has a contingency to close once the golem passes through.

Lord Haart
2016-08-07, 09:16 AM
If you can't teleport the golems into a room, you can teleport the whole room to the golems.