PDA

View Full Version : Any cephalopod or marine biology enthusiasts in the playground?

Bhu
2016-08-06, 12:58 AM
I'm designing a critter ad I'd like to pick the brain of someone more knowledgeable than I on the subject.

golentan
2016-08-06, 04:35 AM
I'm designing a critter ad I'd like to pick the brain of someone more knowledgeable than I on the subject.

I'm a fan of cephalopods, a vet tech, and a former Monterey Bay Aquarium volunteer, but I'm more an amateur than a professional on this particular subject.

For the time being...

Bhu
2016-08-06, 01:42 PM
Do you know much about the Blanket Octopus?

golentan
2016-08-06, 03:56 PM

Some. Not as much as I do about the Giant Pacific Octopus or the Humboldt Squid, for example, but a bit.

Bhu
2016-08-06, 10:29 PM
Im designing a blanket octopus for 3.5. I'm curious if the blanket would interfere with the racial bonus to escape artist checks, and if it has the same ability to alter skin color and texture other octopi do.

golentan
2016-08-07, 03:06 AM
Im designing a blanket octopus for 3.5. I'm curious if the blanket would interfere with the racial bonus to escape artist checks, and if it has the same ability to alter skin color and texture other octopi do.

It would not interfere. Like all octopodes, the Blanket Octopus's lack of skeleton and flexible internal organs give it a tremendous ability to get through small spaces. A Giant Pacific Octopus, for reference, with an armspan of 8 feet and a weight of dozens of pounds, is capable of fitting through a hole the size of a child's fist. I've seen one do it. The main limitation is the beak.

Second, yeah, blanket octopi I am sure have chromatophores, which are the specialized ink bags surrounded by muscle rings which octopodes use to display skin colors and patterns. They use them more for communication and threat displays since they live more out in the ocean.

Third... They're immune to Man-o-War poison and have been known to use Man-o-War tentacles as a weapon, so that would be a thing to bear in mind if you weren't aware.

Fourth... The females are the big ones. Males are all around an inch long. It's some of the more extreme size difference in the animal kingdom.

Just some fun facts.

Brother Oni
2016-08-08, 02:24 AM

I really hope that this isn't in relation to your Japanese setting world building. A table-top encounter inspired by The Dream of the Fisherman's Wife is something that would give people nightmares. :smalleek:

golentan
2016-08-08, 03:40 AM
I really hope that this isn't in relation to your Japanese setting world building. A table-top encounter inspired by The Dream of the Fisherman's Wife is something that would give people nightmares. :smalleek:

I find your lack of disturbing interests disturbing... :smalltongue:

Bhu
2016-08-08, 03:21 PM

Nope I had a request for the Blanket octopus. May also need to do a Dire Man o'War so teh adult octopi can use stinger weapons.

EarlGreystoke
2016-08-09, 08:45 PM
"I've seen enough Hentai to know where this is going."

Bhu
2016-08-09, 09:44 PM
Also there is a new octopus species found that is the only animal that has a venom that works at subzero temperatures. Anyone know if they've named it yet I can't find more info on it.

Brother Oni
2016-08-10, 06:20 AM
Also there is a new octopus species found that is the only animal that has a venom that works at subzero temperatures. Anyone know if they've named it yet I can't find more info on it.

As far as I can tell, they're still using the temporary name Parledone species 1.

Bhu
2016-08-10, 08:40 PM
Thanks Oni!!

No brains
2016-08-14, 01:45 PM
I don't know if I'm too late to add anything useful to this conversation, but I might describe myself as a 'cephalopod enthusiast'.

What do you think about octopus intelligence? Will this blanket octopus still have int 2? Will you compensate by giving it higher wisdom? Do you think int 2 is actually enough for the octopus?

Bhu
2016-08-14, 03:12 PM
I don't know if I'm too late to add anything useful to this conversation, but I might describe myself as a 'cephalopod enthusiast'.

What do you think about octopus intelligence? Will this blanket octopus still have int 2? Will you compensate by giving it higher wisdom? Do you think int 2 is actually enough for the octopus?

I know they're far more intelligent than people give them credit for.

For now it'll be Int 2, but I'm considering doing alternate rules for handling animal intelligence. Something like they can have an Int score above 2, but are limited from possessing certain skills.

Ulthraun
2016-08-15, 06:34 AM
No, but it sounds like fun. :D

Marry1000
2016-09-06, 08:07 PM
Enjoy the link below,
Fantastic -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmr4poUVEGc