PDA

View Full Version : Chronomancer: Can it be Done?

Azreal
2016-08-06, 08:13 AM
Hey there Friends and maybe Enemies. My Wizard just died and I'm looking for someone who plays with Time for their spells. Am I looking at refluffing stuff or is there a homebrew that would be acceptable at a table?

MrUberGr
2016-08-06, 08:20 AM
Middle finger of Vecna has a Chronomancer (http://www.middlefingerofvecna.com/2015/05/the-chronomancer.html) and also some chronomancy spells (http://www.middlefingerofvecna.com/2016/01/chronomancy-spells.html). I haven't gone throught the spells but the path isn't anything flashy.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-08-06, 09:14 AM
Middle finger of Vecna has a Chronomancer (http://www.middlefingerofvecna.com/2015/05/the-chronomancer.html) and also some chronomancy spells (http://www.middlefingerofvecna.com/2016/01/chronomancy-spells.html). I haven't gone throught the spells but the path isn't anything flashy.

I came here to link to my spells, but it looks like you beat me to it!

I also have a WiP pack of subclasses (https://www.dropbox.com/s/kphn7s8xqlfr4fp/Chronomancy.pdf?dl=0) that are meant to work with the spells. I will finish them eventually, but they're not top of my priorities right now.

RickAllison
2016-08-06, 10:30 AM
For a more RAW solution, I recommend Diviner. Some spells to consider are Time Stop, Haste, Slow, Hold Person/Monster, and Blur/Mirror Image (the images/blur are of past and future versions of you). I'll try and think of more.

MrStabby
2016-08-06, 11:23 AM
Not sure if it is what you want, but I did build a time manipulation class for one of my games based on the Monk Chassis for one of my players - used Ki for haste/slow/Hold Person up to time stop (yeah, its's high level but not as good as another 9th level spell on a monk).

If you are happy with homebrew at your table and would be interested |i can dig it out?

Azreal
2016-08-06, 12:14 PM
I was looking for something themed around Time manipulation. I'm not sure how to be more specific because I'm not 100% on how specific I want to be. Haha

I am interested I. Your monk homebrew though.

Calimehter
2016-08-06, 07:56 PM
Expeditious Retreat can also be refluffed as a chronomancy spell.

I'm thinking of a wild magic sorcerer with time-themed spells suggested above, with the further bonus that the wild magic effects occasionally bounce forward in time by some equally random amount (or even back in time, but I'm not sure how you would codify the rules for that . . .)

Edit: for bonus points, refluff your divination spells as vague hints from *yourself* from the future. :)

RickAllison
2016-08-06, 08:23 PM
Mending: You are actually rewinding time to fix the tear.

Ray of Frost: Slowing down time for one person (cold damage from the molecules vibrating slower)

False Life: You are rewinding time for your body so it has to cut through HP from a past version of you before your current HP.

Feather Fall: Creating a field where the world is slower, so you fall slower.

Magic Missile: Darts that pursue targets through time to guarantee the hit.

Shield: Forewarning so you can adjust before the attack lands

Unseen Servant: Other versions of you that are displaced through time.

Continual Flame: Flame locked in time. It doesn't burn or consume fuel because at the moment of its freezing it had sufficient fuel.

Gentle Repose: Lock the corpse in time.

Blur: You create temporal vibrations around you. Attackers become disoriented as they try to aim between future and past selves that rapidly change.

Mirror Image: Similar to Blur, but with distinct forms. Rather than creating an unclear target, it creates three clear alternate targets.

Hold Person: Comepletely lock the targets in time.

Coffee_Dragon
2016-08-06, 08:27 PM
Every night roasting marshmallows at the campfire, the chronomancer is suddenly squashed and toasted as he's momentarily summoned away to various points in the adventuring day to serve as meat puppet for his past self.

RickAllison
2016-08-06, 08:59 PM
Every night roasting marshmallows at the campfire, the chronomancer is suddenly squashed and toasted as he's momentarily summoned away to various points in the adventuring day to serve as meat puppet for his past self.

Truly, the downside to being a world-changing entity.

Edit: More spells!

Invisibility: Displacing an image from when you weren't there to the spot.

Knock: turn time to when the lock was open.

Blink: Rather than popping into the Ethereal plane, you are popping into other times at random with no control.

Counterspell: Speed up the caster so the components don't create the proper pulses to create the spell.

Dispel Magic: Reversing the Weave till when the spell wasn't cast.

Confusion: Target's confusion caused by seeing the rapidly changing images of their eyes at different points in time.

Belac93
2016-08-06, 11:22 PM
The Immortal Mystic from UA seems pretty good for this. It's even in it's favour text. Especially if you use the homebrew expansion, then I think it has an actual discipline called chronomancy.