PDA

View Full Version : My nameless NPC theory

Cute_Riolu
2007-07-05, 12:10 AM
The theory is that all NPCs that don't have a name get minimum HP for their level. Hence Daigo dieing until he told Kazumi his name. Because then Rich rolled up his HP. ...>_>

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-07-05, 12:21 AM
He got to add his plot modifier to his HP.

Angel in Black
2007-07-05, 12:23 AM
He got to add his plot modifier to his HP.

You, sir, win an internet.
Edit: Sigged.

Cute_Riolu
2007-07-05, 12:25 AM
Nah, he wins two internets.

Em Blackleaf
2007-07-05, 12:26 AM
That's probably true.

But, I think it's because nameless NPCs are less important than NPCs with names, therefore, it doesn't matter if they die or not.

That doesn't mean it has nothing to do with HP.

LostOne
2007-07-05, 12:33 AM
I always thought it would be funny if all names charecters gained damage reduction 10/Named charecters.

Mordokai
2007-07-05, 01:01 AM
So what, youwoud have to hit them with another named character? I can imagine the scene:

:roy: Whacks at two named characters with his greatsword, gets poor result
Named characters: It won't work buddy, we're named NPC's.
:roy: Interesting. /grabs one named NPC and starts wacking the other one wih it.

Snake-Aes
2007-07-05, 06:21 AM
I actually did that against a rogue with dr 4/bludgeoning =D

Was a fun day before the prison, oh it was... Never doubt the power of wielding halflings

TreesOfDeath
2007-07-05, 06:39 AM
Rich was obviously just parodying the valuelessness of no name characthers (both in dnd and in media)

Kami2awa
2007-07-05, 06:48 AM
Possibly all nameless npcs have AVERAGE hp (4-5 per die) until named. Then the dice get rolled, and Daigo was lucky enough to get several 7 or 8s.

Roderick_BR
2007-07-05, 10:23 AM
That's probably true.

But, I think it's because nameless NPCs are less important than NPCs with names, therefore, it doesn't matter if they die or not.

That doesn't mean it has nothing to do with HP.
Addendum: It means that the DM doesn't bother to actually roll the dice for them, like a test to stabilize :smallbiggrin:

Tolkien_Freak
2007-07-05, 11:23 AM
It's making fun of the fact that anyone with a name is by default important (there are exceptions, like Pepe in the inn), and anyone without a name is by default unimportant (again, there are exceptions, but I can't think of them).

It's still hilarious.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-07-05, 12:46 PM
It's making fun of the fact that anyone with a name is by default important (there are exceptions, like Pepe in the inn), and anyone without a name is by default unimportant (again, there are exceptions, but I can't think of them).

It's still hilarious.

The narrator/protaganist in War of the Worlds never had his name revealed.

Wyvern_55
2007-07-05, 01:17 PM
I've always assumed that nameless NPCs are so unimportant that the DM often doesn't even bother keeping track of HP in battle, "the guard is struck down by the orc's greataxe" as opposed to "Samual the gate guard is struck for 6 damage by the orc's greataxe" if you name an NPC you tend to actually care about what happens to that character.

ObadiahtheSlim
2007-07-05, 02:08 PM
Good idea. The Namless ones just get killed by the DM. Once he got named, they actually rolled for damage and saw that he lived.

Mordokai
2007-07-05, 04:20 PM
I actually did that against a rogue with dr 4/bludgeoning =D

Was a fun day before the prison, oh it was... Never doubt the power of wielding halflings

You are a sick, sick man :smallbiggrin: But seeing that you used a halfling everything is ok :smallbiggrin: