PDA

View Full Version : Nonverbal Languages

TheYell
2016-08-06, 12:59 PM
Given the awareness of extensive organic nonverbal language discussed at http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?496776-Exploit-Sign-Languages , I propose the following languages for inclusion in games:

CONTINENTAL WILDMIME: Wildmime is an open nonverbal language used by tribal groups as a lingua franca across language groups and within tribes as an alternative language. Barbarians and barbarian hybrid classes earn the Wildmime native to their continent as a bonus language at 1st level. Others may learn Wildmime from a barbarian mentor in the usual manner of adding a language. The varieties of Continental Wildmime on different continents count as separate and distinct languages.

NATIONAL BIRDSONG: Birdsong is an open nonverbal language used by woodsmen to communicate up to 100 yards away in difficult terrain out of line of sight. Birdsong varies with the fauna and so is specific to countries and regions – the Birdsong of Ustalav would be as out of place in Varisia as shouted Taldane. Rangers and ranger hybrid classes earn the National Birdsong native to their homeland as a bonus language at 1st level. Others may learn Birdsong from a ranger mentor in the usual manner of adding a language. The varieties of National Birdsong in different nations count as separate and distinct languages (on Golarion the River Kingdoms count as one bioregion and share a National Birdsong).

DRUIDANIC: Druidanic is a secret nonverbal language comprehensible only to those who know Druidic. Druids may learn Druidanic as an additional language in the normal manner. Druids using Druidanic gain a +1 trained bonus on the effects of teamwork feats. It is forbidden for a Druid to teach Druidanic to a non-Druid.

MONASTIC SILENT SIGN: Monastic Silent Sign is an open nonverbal language used by monks of similar background to communicate amongst themselves. It is unusual in that it varies by patron deity and apparently not by location, the Silent Sign of monks of Irori being as different from that of monks of Iomedae as that of monks of Norgorber, but similar across the Inner Sea region. Monks earn the appropriate Monastic Silent Sign as a bonus language at 8th level. Anyone may learn Monastic Silent Sign as an additional language from a monk mentor in the usual manner of acquiring an additional language. Players using the same Monastic Silent Sign gain a +1 trained bonus on the effects of teamwork feats.

PATHFINDER'S CODE: Members of the Pathfinder Society have developed a secret nonverbal language for communication among Society members in the field. Pathfinder's Code may be learned as an additional language from a Pathfinder mentor. It is forbidden for Pathfinders to teach the Code to nonmembers. Members using the Code gain a +1 trained bonus on the effect of teamwork feats.

Hashmalum
2016-08-07, 07:13 PM
I like these ideas :) I can also imagine a sign language derived from the somatic components of spells, originally developed by sorcerers and wizards. Perhaps it was created by persecuted mages who have been gagged or otherwise silenced so they could communicate in prison, during some sort of campaign of oppression against arcane spellcasters. Or how about a language based on color? I seem to recall an old ecology of the will'o'wisp article that mentioned that they communicated in such a fashion. Perhaps deep in the swamps, there's a race of chameleon lizard folk who allied with the will'o'wisps and learned their language and speak it by changing the color of their skin. The written form looks like abstract brightly colored designs and could be disregarded as mere primitive art by interlopers, leading to a dangerous underestimation of the creatures' level of intelligence and civilization.

TheYell
2016-08-07, 07:50 PM
Interesting. I like the chameleon lizardfolk especially. Kobolds should have something similar so they can have two contradictory conversations at once.