PDA

View Full Version : Player Help [Pathfinder] Divination spells

Jeivar
2016-08-06, 03:05 PM
I'm playing a character using Liber Vampyr, and I'm trying to pick my next vampire feat. I was going to go with "Detect Blood", which is said to work like "Detect Animals or Plants", except it detects creatures that can be drained of blood. But I was told that divination range is sharply limited by things like walls and floors... ie, dungeons.

Can someone clear this up for me? If I can't actually use this most of the time I'm just going to go with Vampiric Speed or Death Drinker.

Malimar
2016-08-06, 03:49 PM
Detect Animals or Plants (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/detect-animals-or-plants), like most divination spells of its ilk, specifies:

The spell can penetrate barriers, but 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt blocks it.
You're fine to use it in, say, a house, but most dungeon walls and doors will block it.

Geddy2112
2016-08-06, 11:31 PM
I am not super familiar with the feat or the liber vampyr, but yes most divination of the "detect" variety are limited by the 1ft stone, 1in metal, lead, or 3ft dense stuff rule.

The ability to detect blood can help you find invisible creatures that can bleed, and can ping on tons of other animals and magical beasts, regardless of size. As an at will SLA, that is pretty nice. However, if you take this feat make sure you and your DM agree on things that can be "drained of blood". Does this include creatures that have something like blood and can be drained of it like an insect or crab? What about things that can bleed, but can't be drained as their blood is some kind of neverending magical font? Also, at what point is it still blood in things like outsiders, magical beasts, etc?