PDA

View Full Version : Mongolian

Roughishguy86
2016-08-06, 03:21 PM
I am playing a game next weekend and I wanted to run a character modeled after the Mongolians. If you were going to roll up a character with that theme how would you split up levels and what feats if any would you pick.
I know they favored archery from horseback, and they would wrestle for sport and to prove their strength.

So obviously I'd take the grappling feat and prof in athletics.

But how would you handle the mounted archery is there any feats that synergize with that?

I plan to take at least the first 5 levels in barbarian for extra attack but anything after that is open.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jeebs
2016-08-06, 03:40 PM
Mounted Combatant makes melee better while mounted (Advantage on attacks smaller than your mount). You can also redirect attacks away from your mount and towards yourself.

If you're set on Barbarian, I'd probably skip both Grappler and Mounted Combatant. I think Rage makes Grappler redundant, and Reckless Attack does the same for Mounted Combatant's attack mechanic.

Specter
2016-08-06, 03:42 PM
Seeing how these were men who raided foreign lands for years always depending on survival, Ranger might be more adequate than Barbarian, especially the spell-less variant. Plus, archery and stuff.

Roughishguy86
2016-08-06, 04:00 PM
Yeah I could see how rage would make that less of a point of contention.
I had considered ranger and I'm sure that I will take at least a few levels of ranger.
I went to level 5 barbarian just for the extra attack and so that he would have some more hit points.

Telonius
2016-08-06, 04:10 PM
EDIT: ack, missed the edition tag...

Laserlight
2016-08-06, 06:38 PM
I am playing a game next weekend and I wanted to run a character modeled after the Mongolians. If you were going to roll up a character with that theme how would you split up levels and what feats if any would you pick.
I know they favored archery from horseback, and they would wrestle for sport and to prove their strength.
So obviously I'd take the grappling feat and prof in athletics.
But how would you handle the mounted archery is there any feats that synergize with that?
I plan to take at least the first 5 levels in barbarian for extra attack but anything after that is open.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Assuming you're talking about Mongol Conquest (AD1206-1260 or thereabouts), they were mostly light cavalry, unarmored, primarily using bows, with sabers in case things got close. Some had lances; I don't recall reading about specific lance tactics but would expect that them to have been used for fencing rather than couch-and-charge, partly because the Mongols and their horses were somewhat smaller and lighter than the Westerners they fought. The wealthier Mongols (perhaps one in eight) had leather or iron armor. The troops were organized into units of 10, 100, etc, --"horde" didn't orginally mean "disorganized mass", it meant a division-sized unit. They were reputedly highly disciplined and apparently were drilled on specific formations and maneuvers, and Feigned Retreat was a favorite.

They would reputedly eat pretty much anything--lice, for instance. They had a number of taboos: never spill food or milk; it's quite rude to show the soles of your feet to a person or an altar; it's extremely impious to step on a threshold; never point a knife at anyone (if you pass a knife, do it hilt-first); if you're given booze, offer a drop each to sky, wind and earth; don't turn your back on an altar or an elder; don't touch someone else's hat.

If I were building a Mongol I would make him an archer with a backup scimitar and shield, although I wouldn't dump STR. I'd give him as high a CON as I could manage. I don't think Barbarian really suits them; Fighter or Ranger would be better. Archery and Mounted related feats.

Belac93
2016-08-06, 08:19 PM
I would take Fighter! You get all the feats/ability score improvements you want, multiple extra attacks, and that sort of thing. Maybe 1 level of barbarian for unarmoured defence and rage, but no more.

Malifice
2016-08-08, 04:25 AM
My gut tells me Barbarian, but Ranger works mechanically better.

gkathellar
2016-08-08, 06:21 AM
Mongol culture was overwhelmingly centered on archery, and slightly less overwhelmingly centered on horsemanship. Archery figures into their mythology, their lifestyle, everything. When the Qing dynasty wanted to suppress Mongolian culture, they banned archery, and many Mongols continued to secretly practice as best they could using crappy little crossbows. In addition, Mongol mythology tends to stress the value of teamwork and cooperation, and they were known for their cavalry tactics even while hunting. If you want to depict a stereotypical "Mongol warrior," show him as a skilled horseman and master archer, resourceful, tough, and good at working with others.

Go scout fighter, maybe with some rogue. Skip grappling - wrestling was done by everybody, everywhere, in every time period, and is nothing exceptional to the mongols.

My gut tells me Barbarian, but Ranger works mechanically better.

No, no it would not.

Reaper34
2016-08-08, 09:56 PM
interesting tactic for conquest. mongol army arrives at a village and surround it.

first day they raise a white flag and wait for surrender. if the village surrenders everyone lives who they pay taxes to changes but not much else.
day 2 blue flag raised. if village surrenders every male adult is killed women and children are left alive.
day 3 red flag raised. if surrender adult men and women are killed children are adopted into mongol families.
day 4 black flag raised at dawn. noon village is attacked. all buildings and fields are burned ground is salted. the heads of all but 4 inhabitants are piled in a pyramid in center of ruins. 4 remaining captives are released in the 4 directions to spread the word of what happened and what the flags mean.

guess what happened when the army arrived at the next town.