PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Attunement Questions

lordhack
2016-08-06, 05:01 PM
So Attunement is a new feature in 5th edition, clearly included for balance reasons, so that PCs don't go around trying to get too many magic items. I really like it mechanically, but the fluff of it sort of bothers me. Gollem was definitely attuned to the One Ring when Bilbo found it for example, but Bilbo had no problem using it, and heroes grabbing something from a Dragon's hoard, pointing it at the beast, and praying it works seems like a good image. As does a Wizard who's out of spells for the day grabbing the fallen Paladin's magic sword and swinging for the fences. So, what do people with more experience in 5e think of allowing PCs to use an item once before attuning to it? Lots of stories have a bit of beginners luck, where a hero accidentally uses some super powerful item at full force the first time they try, then have to train for a bit before they can get it to work again. This doesn't seem to abusable, and as DM I could probably nix any ideas that went against the spirit of the rule at the table, but is there any obvious problem with allowing this I havn't foreseen?

As an alternate, I also considered allowing PCs to use on magic item without attuning to it. This is obviously a lot more powerful, since it effectively gives PCs another attunement slot, but my players like the power level in a game to be fairly high and they'd feel like they were getting away with something.

Sigreid
2016-08-06, 08:05 PM
First, in your LOTR example I believe that the ring had an intelligence of it's own and wanted the hell out of that cave.

For the rest of it, I could see allowing a player to spend an inspiration point to overcome the need to attune something for a short window of time.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Regitnui
2016-08-07, 03:39 AM
I can see it going one of two ways; either attunement allows you to use the object to it's full potential, leaving a +1 flame tongue still usable as a sharp piece of metal, or attument is necessary to even pick up the item. I prefer the former. Wands and staves, specifically, are built by wizards for wizards, so it's unlikely that they'll leave a random staff usuable by Smashy McBeardson the dwarven barbarian. He might hurt himself, or worse, learn how to wield arcane power.

ClintACK
2016-08-07, 05:29 AM
That sounds right.

The Flame Tongue might even be a +1 sword in anyone's hands, but none of the fire effects work without attunement.

Like the One Ring works as a ring of invisibility for anyone, but does a *ton* more when mastered and attuned.

N810
2016-08-08, 11:25 AM
Not every magic item even requires attunement, usually only the more powerful ones.

Safety Sword
2016-08-11, 08:09 PM
That sounds right.

The Flame Tongue might even be a +1 sword in anyone's hands, but none of the fire effects work without attunement.

Like the One Ring works as a ring of invisibility for anyone, but does a *ton* more when mastered and attuned.

This is pretty much how I feel about it.

Any power with a daily limit, or related to an items special purpose needs attunement to work, regardless of the activation method.

I like weapons that unlock powers with story goals or character level too and if you're not attuned you never get more than the very basic powers of an item.