PDA

View Full Version : what domain do you think is best for a Theurgy wizard.

andelson
2016-08-06, 09:09 PM
this in from the new unearthed Arcana. it's posted on the dnd home page. THE FAITHFUL is the Article name.

RickAllison
2016-08-06, 09:30 PM
Knowledge!!! Bow before me as I gain the capability to Fabricate anything that is non-magical and not a creature! Okay, it is probably not the best, but something about an Int-based caster having features all focused on gaining more knowledge appeals to me immensely.

Life is great. Covers up a branch of magic that the wizard seriously lacks and the domain spells contain many of the ones the user would be most likely to poach anyway!

Nature makes one of the SAD melee wizards. Heavy armor, Shillelagh combined with GFB/BB to be a powerhouse whose attack modifier is Int, as well as an at-will reaction comparable to Absorb Elements. Pretty nice, if niche.

My opinion on the best domains.

SharkForce
2016-08-06, 09:32 PM
that depends a lot on what exactly you want out of it. which shouldn't be surprising, because that's basically the exact same answer you should get if you ask the question "what domain do you think is best for a cleric". it's kinda the whole point of domains, really.

personally, i think most domains have some very strong arguments in their favour. war gives excellent spells for a wizard that wants to get in close (probably with a 1-3 fighter dip first). tempest is great for a blaster. life gives a good mix of spells for utility and of course has the best healing. knowledge gives some good utility and excellent access to skills. nature is a bit harder, but still offers some defensive abilities(and at high levels, the ability to command plants and animals you create with true polymorph without using your concentration).

light and trickery are, imo, the two that have the least to offer of the PHB domains (though even they have some redeeming qualities - the level 17 ability in light is amazing with the right spells to combo with, and frankly the pass without trace spell can potentially be so good it's worth ignoring all the other options if nobody else in the group has it and you have a DM who allows stealth to be really effective). i'm not sure about the arcana domain (or whatever) as i don't own SCAG.

RickAllison
2016-08-06, 09:37 PM
that depends a lot on what exactly you want out of it. which shouldn't be surprising, because that's basically the exact same answer you should get if you ask the question "what domain do you think is best for a cleric". it's kinda the whole point of domains, really.

personally, i think most domains have some very strong arguments in their favour. war gives excellent spells for a wizard that wants to get in close (probably with a 1-3 fighter dip first). tempest is great for a blaster. life gives a good mix of spells for utility and of course has the best healing. knowledge gives some good utility and excellent access to skills. nature is a bit harder, but still offers some defensive abilities(and at high levels, the ability to command plants and animals you create with true polymorph without using your concentration).

light and trickery are, imo, the two that have the least to offer of the PHB domains (though even they have some redeeming qualities - the level 17 ability in light is amazing with the right spells to combo with, and frankly the pass without trace spell can potentially be so good it's worth ignoring all the other options if nobody else in the group has it and you have a DM who allows stealth to be really effective). i'm not sure about the arcana domain (or whatever) as i don't own SCAG.

Let's put it this way: barring Spell Breaker in a campaign with lots of spell-casting enemies, the main use of Arcana domain for theurgy is to allow PCs to use the sub-class when their DM is not very permissive.

SharkForce
2016-08-06, 11:12 PM
oh, and a nature theurge doesn't get heavy armour. unless they multiclass or spend 3 feats for it.

RickAllison
2016-08-06, 11:16 PM
oh, and a nature theurge doesn't get heavy armour. unless they multiclass or spend 3 feats for it.

Ah, right, I forgot that domain-specific proficiencies also don't carry over. Still, a level of fighter or cleric and you are in business with either 15 Strength or 14 Dex (heavy or medium armor), able to put everything into Int and feats.

SharkForce
2016-08-06, 11:23 PM
well, oddly enough, only weapon and armour proficiencies aren't granted. everything else is (personally, i think you could include the weapon proficiencies though... i mean, let's face it, your theurgist isn't going to become a melee powerhouse just because you get to use a greatsword).