PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Eternal Wands - 5e Conversion

Regitnui
2016-08-07, 04:45 AM
I remember the days of 3.5, where there were Nine Alignments, Succubi were demons, and the choker was the nightmare of any player under a high ceiling. But most of all, i remember the eternal wand (https://eberron-hok.obsidianportal.com/items/eternal-wand) from the Eberron Campaign Setting. They were the perfect answer, along with hand crossbows, to the player who came fresh from Call of Duty and had to shoot things with a gun, no matter how many times the genre was explained to them.

Now, I've got my own D&D Eberron group, and I'd like to drop a few for them. Anyone seen, made or willing to assist in making a good homebrew for a 5e version of the eternal wand?

Inevitability
2016-08-07, 05:18 AM
It seems unnecessary to me. In 5e, wands already regain X charges per day. Only if you completely drain them is there a small (5%) chance of their destruction.

If you have to create a new magic item, just take a base wand, reduce the number of charges, allow it to regain all charges each day, and remove the chance of permanent destruction when it's empty.

Dalebert
2016-08-07, 08:56 AM
It seems unnecessary to me.

This. All wands are eternal wands now. I don't follow this motivation.

georgie_leech
2016-08-07, 09:17 AM
I'd probably scrap the destruction chance and give 'Advantage' on recharge checks, but otherwise just use the baseline mechanics if I wanted a distinction between basic wands and eternal varieties.

Regitnui
2016-08-07, 11:34 AM
I didn't look at the mechanics before asking... Guess there's even less reason for guns in Eberron now.

RazDelacroix
2016-08-08, 03:06 PM
But...but without guns in Eberron, how is my Warforged Gunslinger supposed to intimidate the fleshies with quips ripped from Clint Eastwood?!

Unless we started giving wands a decent grip, like a crossbow, a holster... Maybe a sight for those with coordination issues... I am now picturing a wizard laying flat on a rooftop treating a 6ft staff like a sniper rifle...

R.Shackleford
2016-08-08, 09:04 PM
I didn't look at the mechanics before asking... Guess there's even less reason for guns in Eberron now.

Wands have a pretty long recharge time.

Guns are still pretty useful. Plus guns are a different proficiency.

Though, guns shouldn't really be a proficiency. At least, not up close. Like... If you are trained for battle then picking up a gun and shooting someone in battle isn't a very hard thing to do...

Regitnui
2016-08-09, 12:33 AM
But...but without guns in Eberron, how is my Warforged Gunslinger supposed to intimidate the fleshies with quips ripped from Clint Eastwood?!

Unless we started giving wands a decent grip, like a crossbow, a holster... Maybe a sight for those with coordination issues... I am now picturing a wizard laying flat on a rooftop treating a 6ft staff like a sniper rifle...

Subtract the sniper wizard, and that's already what I picture wands and hand crossbows doing on Khorvaire. The long 'reload' time is a feature, not a bug. It lets you have a bandoleer of wands on your person, so you're simultaneously Wild Bill and Batman; a wand for every occasion.

Joe the Rat
2016-08-09, 01:54 PM

All wands are pretty standard, butt-wise, and uncomfortable to aim. So we invent a variety of "natural posture" grips that the wands slot into.
When you are reloading, you are swapping out your spent wand for a fresh 'stick.

holsters for your loaded shooters, bandoliers for extra ammo, and a belt pouch for expended sticks.

Or load up six in a tight bundle that you have to rotate into "firing position" for that pepper box / mini gun look.

Easy_Lee
2016-08-09, 02:10 PM
Why not just make cantrip wands? It would make sense for the cantrip not to spend a charge since casters cast them for free. Fix the cantrip's caster level based on the power of the wand, and you're set.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-09, 04:47 PM
Why not just make cantrip wands? It would make sense for the cantrip not to spend a charge since casters cast them for free. Fix the cantrip's caster level based on the power of the wand, and you're set.

I did something like this when I took away casters.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KnW5jSPgluh7fsOH2cG9qKmMjbcJcHmT_-p3lBJeOXs/edit?usp=drive_web

Edit

Heh, buttwise.