PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Magic feats, SLAs, Fey and Spellcasting Items

Albions_Angel
2016-08-07, 06:56 AM
Hi all. To try and stem the tide of my endless posts, here are a bunch of related questions.

Still designing these Fey Lords (and having a ton of fun doing it! Though I should be getting on with other, more tangible parts of the world). Designed their signature weapons, their stat blocks, their traits, and some of their feats. Also have a handle on some of their SLAs.

Now, the rest of their feats I have questions on. 2 of the 3 lords are SLA users. All three have some SLA ability, and all the weapons allow them to cast some more spells, a few at will, a few three times a day, a couple once per day, and one each once a year (an epic tied to their season). So to my mind, it wouldnt hurt them to have a couple of spell casting feats, possibly some metamagic stuff.

My questions are these.

Do metamagic feats work on SLA? Do they have to be tied to just one SLA? Can the SLA its been tied to be changed every morning? (they cast as druids because that made the most sense, but not all the SLAs or Spells are druid spells)

Do metamagic feats work on spells cast by items? Do they have to be tied to one spell?

Given the usual style of fey SLAs/spells, plus a few buffs, what metamagic feats and magic related feats should I be looking at? I dont really play full casters, I like hitting things too much, though I often play gishes. So i dont really know what I should be looking at. I would guess that usually, extend is a good one. That is probably still useful for the compulsion spells. Shape spell might be good for the control spells? Anything else? THey arnt really casting from spell slots or points, so I dont think they can make use of burning lower slots to make higher ones or anything.

Thanks in advance guys. I promise I will let you have a look at my Lords when they are done.

FearlessGnome
2016-08-07, 08:01 AM
Do metamagic feats work on SLA?
No. There are however metamagic-like feats that specifically work with (only) SLAs in the monster manuals. From Empower SLA to Quicken SLA. Each such feat applies only to one SLA, and only up to three times per day. The rule of thumb in 3.5 is: There is no spell level to increase, so instead the feat checks your level. To metamagic an SLA, your level must be equal to the spell level equivalent x2, plus 2 x the spell level increase of the normal metamagic feat. So to Empower a Fireball, you must be level 10. To Quicken a Fireball, you must be level 14. The feats as written don't let you affect level 9 spells ever, but if your powerful Fey lords are over level 20, there's no reason not to let them just use the same formula all the way up to Quickened Wail of the Banshee.

Do they have to be tied to just one SLA?
Yes.

Can the SLA its been tied to be changed every morning?
No. As DM, you can of course screw that.

Do metamagic feats work on spells cast by items?
No. You can create wands and such to already have the metamagic applied, but then they apply to every casting, regardless of who uses it, and the item is priced much higher. A Wand of Empowered Fireball treats it as a fifth level spell for pricing purposes, but the DC remains as normal for a Wand of Fireball.

Given the usual style of fey SLAs/spells, plus a few buffs, what metamagic feats and magic related feats should I be looking at?
Quicken, Empower, Maximize... If you are feeling nasty, Corrupt Spell like Ability makes it so half the damage can't be healed without an area of Hallow or similar. Evil, obviously.

Shape spell might be good for the control spells?
Shape Spell like Ability does not exist, but as DM you can of course homebrew one.