PDA

View Full Version : Setting Appropriate Weapons?

Slayer Lord
2016-08-07, 09:06 AM
I've been expanding an old campaign setting that's a mish-mash of ancient cultures, centered mostly on the Classical Greece-expy. Last time I used this setting we had a blanket list of weapons and armor types that could or couldn't be used. Short swords and spears are okay, halberds and spiked chains aren't, allowed longswords to slide because we had Norse and because it's Hades' favored weapon in Deities and Demigods.

This time around I thought about adjusting that list so that certain weapons are considered martial in places where they're commonly used, but treated as exotic everywhere else. For example, a dwarf from pseudo-Scandanavia would consider a longsword or greataxe a martial weapon, but a Greek hoplite would need special training to use them. On the one hand I feel this could add some extra depth to the setting, but on the other hand it might be making things needlessly complicated. Plus there are some weapons where my research is a little fuzzy (i.e. the Romans adopting the spatha (could be considered a longsword in D&D terms) from Celtic neighbors, but would the Greeks have knowledge of this hundreds of years earlier; or how Bronze Age Ireland did produce polearms of a sort, but how would those translate into D&D polearms, etc.) Or maybe I'm being too obsessive over a setting (and a game) that's pretty anachronistic to begin with? Any thoughts?

The cultural expies used for the setting are: Classical Greece, New Kingdom Egypt, classic Norse, Chaldean/Neo-Babylonian Mesopotamia, and pre-Christian Celts (particularly in the British Isles, think Cu Chulain). Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Albions_Angel
2016-08-07, 09:30 AM
Slings. Lots of slings. Particularly for egypt. Also spears and shields. The Egyptions used oval shields that were very tall, so maybe consider making a tower shield for them a martial weapon without the need for proficiency. I dont know of any chariot statblocks, but they used double chariots with archers and spearmen.

Greeks of course need the Phalanx feat by default. Heavy shields, short spears. You can give them short swords too, but dont make them use it.

The romans by contrast should use almost nothing else. Might want to consider tower shields for them as well, if only to provide full cover for the tustedo. The romans also utilized longspears in the rear ranks, auxiliary that used short swords and small shields, archer groups (short bows only) and light Horsemen. The horsemen should not have shields but should have longswords. As should any generals.

You know what to do for vikings.

As for the celts, well longswords and heavy shields, sure. But think less longsword (which is about 2.5 feet long) and more bastard sword. And greatswords. Druids should be almost exclusively celtic and scandinavian. The romans HATED the druids. Druids get staffs. You MIGHT consider giving the celts longbows, but I wouldnt. The long bow didnt come in for ages.