PDA

View Full Version : Charisma Maximization-Multiclassing for a charisma focused Gish

PartyChef
2016-08-07, 09:28 AM
Remember is 3.5 when a very strong build could maximize one stat and just focus on taking feats and classes to make as many rolls as possible based on that stat? I am still obsessed with that. currently I am trying to do that with Charisma. Here is the theory:

Paladin 6-Cha to saves, smites, and shield proficiencies.
Warlock Undying Light and Tome 4-Cha to damages and Shillelagh spell for Cha to attack.
Sorcerer Red Dragon-Cha to damage when using GFB.
Rogue Swashbuckler 4-Cha to initiative, expertise, and sneak damage to GFB.

So here is the big question. Is this a feasible build, can it be done better, and how would you progress the character? My initial thought is that he will be pretty similar to an arcane trickster with great social skills, some good utility spells, and good single target damage. He can do pretty good fire blasts if necessary too. With that in mind I was thinking of starting Rogue just for the extra skills, other options are starting Paladin for heavy armor(not really necessary with decent dex and dragon sorc), or sorcerer just for the con save proficiency.

Additionally, what feats would you pick? Is he mostly a duelist or a caster?

Zman
2016-08-07, 09:47 AM
What matters more is the order you choose to take those levels, and how often you are behind the power curve. Shillelagh and Greenflame Blade as more likely just Agonizing Blast will be your mainstays. It is 5e and with either of those the character will be combat capable and will have enough outside of combat abilities to be pretty solid. Man, 5e is great!

bid
2016-08-07, 11:41 AM
You cannot sneak attack with shillelagh. You'd have to push Dex late game for that extra 2d6.

You are limited to 3rd spells, less than EK/AT. You can have 6 SP, enough to convert your 5th slots to quicken GFB.

Klorox
2016-08-07, 03:12 PM
I think it's a very interesting idea, but I think those swashbuckler levels are better spent on more sorcerer levels.

Cybren
2016-08-07, 05:20 PM
You cannot sneak attack with shillelagh. You'd have to push Dex late game for that extra 2d6.

You are limited to 3rd spells, less than EK/AT. You can have 6 SP, enough to convert your 5th slots to quicken GFB.

Yeah, the two weapons called out as working with shillelagh don't have the finesse property and aren't ranged weapons. Theoretically if you could get a finesse club, like, say, a singlestick (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNja9iUdAiI), a DM might let you use shillelagh on it, but we're now in houserule territory.

DragonSorcererX
2016-08-07, 05:48 PM
Paladin 2/Celeastialock 2/Sorcerer Favored Soul 16, this build has access to:

- Shillelagh
- Free Flying Speed
- Divine Smite
- 17th Level Caster Spell Slots/Spell Points
- Metamagic
- Slots to Sorcery Points Conversion (More Smites!)

Ze_Azrael
2016-08-07, 06:44 PM
I played a similar concept. I recommend you take an extra Paladin level and be an Oathbreaker for the level 7 CHA to damage.
The problem with rogue is that for that CHA to initiative, you're paying 3 levels, 13 dex, and useless features like sneak attack... I personally don't think it's worth it if you actually want to play the build

Quintessence
2016-08-07, 07:55 PM
I played a similar concept. I recommend you take an extra Paladin level and be an Oathbreaker for the level 7 CHA to damage.
The problem with rogue is that for that CHA to initiative, you're paying 3 levels, 13 dex, and useless features like sneak attack... I personally don't think it's worth it if you actually want to play the build

However god help your party and you when battling undead...

Ze_Azrael
2016-08-07, 11:45 PM
However god help your party and you when battling undead...

Yeah obviously don't do this in an undead/fiend heavy campaign. Though for the odd encounter it's not too bad... Especially since with 6 Sorcerer levels you're likely to have some undead of your own so you can just pit them against each other.

Oh btw Inspiring Leader is sort of a way to add Charisma to HP so you might wanna pick that up.

Klorox
2016-08-08, 12:41 AM
What does Undying Light warlock give you at level 4? Isn't level 3 enough for shillelagh, which gives you a 1d8+CHA stick? I'm unfamiliar with Undying Light.

I really dig this concept of going SAD.

I did a similar build with a cleric (SAD WIS) where I had the magic initiate feat for shillelagh.

I can see this character you've presented being more powerful, but it's also much more complicated. The beauty of the cleric is the "build" is cleric levels 1-20.

Arkhios
2016-08-08, 01:34 AM
What does Undying Light warlock give you at level 4? Isn't level 3 enough for shillelagh, which gives you a 1d8+CHA stick? I'm unfamiliar with Undying Light.

4th level of anything is great for the Ability Score Improvement alone. For a warlock of any Patron and Pact, 1 more cantrip and 1 more spell known is all you get at 4th level, in addition to ASI.

Klorox
2016-08-10, 12:28 AM
4th level of anything is great for the Ability Score Improvement alone. For a warlock of any Patron and Pact, 1 more cantrip and 1 more spell known is all you get at 4th level, in addition to ASI.

The extra cantrip and extra spell known are a really nice bonus on top of the ASI. Wow!

Isidorios
2016-08-10, 12:34 AM
Remember is 3.5 when a very strong build could maximize one stat and just focus on taking feats and classes to make as many rolls as possible based on that stat? I am still obsessed with that. currently I am trying to do that with Charisma.

Then why aren't you playing 3.5? It wasn't destroyed in a Time/Space calamity.

Why not find a new obsession in 5e, like roleplaying better? Why try to force a character from a greatly different system into this new one?
Just sayin'.