PDA

View Full Version : Dual Strike Feat?

Daracaex
2007-07-05, 02:01 AM
There is a feat in Complete Adventurer called Dual Strike which states that it allows you to make an attack with both your primary and secondary weapon at a penalty. What is the point of this feat? The PHB clearly states "If you wield a second weapon in your off hand, you can get one extra attack per round with that weapon."

Dhavaer
2007-07-05, 02:02 AM
It allows you to wield two weapons as a standard action, instead of a full-round action.

Daracaex
2007-07-05, 02:06 AM
But don't you get that already? The PHB says you get an extra attack each round, so I would assume that means on all attacks.

Dhavaer
2007-07-05, 02:08 AM
To get additional attacks you need to make a full attack.

If you get more than one attack per round because your base attack bonus is high enough, because you fight with two weapons or a double weapon or for some special reason you must use a full-round action to get your additional attacks.

Daracaex
2007-07-05, 02:15 AM
Ah, there it is. I thought something was up with the Two-weapon fighting description. They should have clarified that a bit better in the relevant section. Thanks!

Person_Man
2007-07-05, 09:49 AM
It's a really, really bad feat given the existence of so many different options that grant Pounce, or Snap-Kick, or Whirling Frenzy, or One Two Punch, etc.

Truwar
2007-07-05, 11:07 AM
Making a single off hand attack should not even require a feat. Two weapon fighting is enough of a red headed step child without further gutting its prowess by only allowing an off hand attack when making a full attack.

Matthew
2007-07-05, 09:14 PM
Too true. The Two Weapon Fighting Tree is sucktastic. Two Weapon Pounce mainly works better than Dual Strike, as it works on a Charge and there is no Precision Damage limitation; unfortunately, it doesn't work on Standard Actions.

the_tick_rules
2007-07-05, 10:35 PM
oh it's a standard action, i never got the point of the feat. Hey i enjoy TWF, and isn't havin fun what D&D is all about?

nooblade
2007-07-05, 11:21 PM
If there's any feat at all that gives a straight "extra attack", it would be overpowered, I think. TWF isn't underpowered, its just out shined by power attack with two-handed weapons. At lower levels, TWF is preferable to power attack, IMHO, but power attack becomes more powerful.

Matthew
2007-07-09, 06:19 PM
Sure, and I'm not having a go at anyone who chooses it. There are, unfortunately, obvious limitations. Weapon and Shield is usually your best bet at Levels 1-3, but Two Weapon fighting is a good alternative, if not a preferable alternative, for some other builds.