PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder What Class should I Play

nuaragonis
2016-08-07, 11:23 AM
I'm Starting a new campaign in a ancient Greek theme, using the map of Greece and such. We will start out at 5th level with the first session ending in 1 tier of mystic level. Any interesting ideas are much appreciated. Thanks!

Chronikoce
2016-08-07, 11:53 AM
Do you know where you are starting in Greece? If it's ancient Greece then the location you're from could help you decide on your fighting style.

nuaragonis
2016-08-07, 12:01 PM
Not really sure where the starting location is, but I can be from anywhere backstory wise.

Calthropstu
2016-08-07, 02:18 PM
Ancient greece?

A germanic barbarian there to enter gladetorial arena would be interesting.

An Oracle would fit the epic stories.

A grappling monk greek wrestler.

A standard greek soldier specializing in polearm combat.

A greek shock combat style fighter like those in 300.

I would avoid a wizard or witch, but a sorceror would fit. Witches have a bad stigma in greek lore, but a "touched by the gods" sorceror would fit right in.

A psion who hid his abilities would be fun.

I know! Play a minotaur barbarian who wields a great axe!

Extra Anchovies
2016-08-07, 10:20 PM
Well, that depends on three things:
1. Where exactly do your characters start?
2. Why exactly are your characters where they are?
3. What are the other characters?
Do you know any of those, or do you only have the basic premise so far?

Honest Tiefling
2016-08-07, 10:52 PM
Cleric of Hermes. Er...Do you have the cleric class to pick from? I would assume that he gets the Travel and Trickery domains if you have clerics, which aren't bad. Sure, you probably aren't getting much in the way of political power, but worshiping the god of stealing sheep should be fun.

nuaragonis
2016-08-08, 12:24 AM
Well, that depends on three things:
1. Where exactly do your characters start?
2. Why exactly are your characters where they are?
3. What are the other characters?
Do you know any of those, or do you only have the basic premise so far?

Only a basic premise so far, I believe one of the other players is going to play a summoner. But let's just assume I am allowed to start my character where ever and I should be able to swing it with the DM as long as its within Greece. Really we are wanting to try out using the Mythic rules and Ancient Greece seemed like a pretty good place to do that.

nuaragonis
2016-08-08, 12:28 AM
Ancient greece?

A germanic barbarian there to enter gladetorial arena would be interesting.

An Oracle would fit the epic stories.

A grappling monk greek wrestler.

A standard greek soldier specializing in polearm combat.

A greek shock combat style fighter like those in 300.

I would avoid a wizard or witch, but a sorceror would fit. Witches have a bad stigma in greek lore, but a "touched by the gods" sorceror would fit right in.

A psion who hid his abilities would be fun.

I know! Play a minotaur barbarian who wields a great axe!

I like the ideas, I might give a look at some of the Occult Classes. We as a group try to stay away from the psychic stuff, but I might try my hand at mesmerist or just straight Psychic.

Honest Tiefling
2016-08-08, 01:14 AM
If you are going for an occult approach, I feel the need to point out a little theory that Hecate was probably worshiped in Anatolia in a far more benevolent form. (As has been pointed out, people usually don't name their children after monsters). She did have a protective role at times, and was portrayed at crossroads to keep things away so wasn't always a evil figure.

Then again, speaking badly of the gods wasn't always a good idea.

Extra Anchovies
2016-08-08, 05:49 PM
I wonder if Hercules could be built as a Sorcerer.

Only a basic premise so far, I believe one of the other players is going to play a summoner. But let's just assume I am allowed to start my character where ever and I should be able to swing it with the DM as long as its within Greece. Really we are wanting to try out using the Mythic rules and Ancient Greece seemed like a pretty good place to do that.

Well, I would hope that all the players are in the same place, and for the same reason - otherwise you don't really have an adventuring party :smallconfused:

pilvento
2016-08-09, 02:50 PM
I wonder if Hercules could be built as a Sorcerer.

How about a bloodrager then? Having a godlike heritage represented in your bloodline in a mithyc greek game? dam... you cant get cooler than that.