PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing ending to a good campaign [Warning: Big Rant thread]

Chijinda
2016-08-07, 01:44 PM
Yeah, so heads up, this is MOSTLY a rant thread, with a request for advice or tips at the end. Mostly just to get this off my chest.

Finally finished my group's three year (or very nearly) Dark Heresy campaign. It was, for the most part a very enjoyable campaign, as well as our first real tabletop campaign. Nice little three person group, all three of us really good friends since our second year of high school. The campaign was pretty good, up until the very end of the final session, in which things basically (at least for me) went full Mass Effect 3.

To TRY and keep this brief: We were in the final battle against a Demon of Malal. Although it was a difficult fight, we managed to get it down to its last legs. This thing's leg has been broken, one of its arms has been hewn off by a Power Sword, and its on its knees looking down the business end of my Psyker's Force Sword. Of course the party is also in pretty poor shape. My Psyker is in critical damage, and the Scum is not sitting much better. GM tells us the demon starts using the last of its strength to pull a Gannondorf and attempts to collapse the cathedral we're battling in on top of us, and lets us know we have one round to put it down, or otherwise prevent it. Given its condition, and the fact that my Psyker is standing in melee range with a Force Sword this should be VERY doable, outside of absurdly bad luck ("Statistically speaking", my Psyker had about an 89.5% chance of hitting it with at least one attack, and had a minimum damage of 10, even assuming that the Scum didn't kill it with a bolter first, or, even if my Psyker failed, that our NPC supporter couldn't finish it with her power sword).

Apparently the other player decided that wasn't good enough odds, because his finishing move of choice was to throw a giant explosive cocktail at the demon. While my character was sitting not two feet away from it. To the guy's credit he warned me (and my character) what he was about to do, and his character did shout for my character to get clear. RAW-wise, he even expressed this by basically taking a delay action, planning on throwing the explosive after my character's round, and giving him time to get away. Also, helpful is that by RAW, my character could easily escape the blast range of the explosive in a single round.

GM decided that wasn't nearly cinematic enough. So instead he tells me to take an agility test to see if I can get away in time. For clarification sake, at this point in the battle, my character is essentially taking -20 to all tests due to fatigue and damage, and has a rather mediocre agility to start with. The odds of me ACTUALLY making the test are ridiculously low. I take the test, and lo-and-behold, I fail it. More than a little frustrated, given that by RAW my character should have gotten clear, but by GM fiat, he's stuck taking the blast. Which kills him. By the absolute minimum amount needed to do it (even one point less he would have lived). The damage he'd taken was so surprisingly low, that the GM actually pre-emptively asked me to take a second test to see if my character had managed to avoid catching fire from the fire bombs in the cocktail bomb (which he passed), before delivering the news that the roll was pointless because it killed my character anyways.

So at this point I'm feeling more than a little annoyed at both the other player for basically throwing an overkill bomb, when we basically could have finished the battle just as cinematically or impressively WITHOUT risking killing both of our characters (he got hit too, will get to that in a second), and the GM for basically butchering the fairly good, RAW chance my character had of getting clear of the blast (it wasn't even rule lawyering or munchkining either). And the fact that my character ended up coming so very close to NOT dying from this is like rubbing salt in the wound.

But just to put icing on the cake-- yes the other guy is caught in the blast as well (Demon is confirmed dead from the explosive). He takes enough damage to kill his character three times over.

"I burn a Fate Point, so my guy doesn't die."

GM looked at him for a long moment there. Asked if he was sure, and that, this would be a pretty good conclusion to the campaign. Added essentially: "You know there's basically nothing after this. You... killed [my character], you stopped a Greater Demon with that blast, it's a good heroic sacrifice moment for your guy." Other guy insisted that no, he did in fact, want to burn the Fate Point (our GM had made a note throughout the three year campaign of being super unhappy about Fate Points, because of the possibility that (and I quote): "If you guys go into the final battle with Fate Points it doesn't really matter what I do, I can't actually kill you. There's no tension"). He even confided in me afterwards that he doubted that the Scum would have actually taken such an over-the-top finish to the campaign if he hadn't had a Fate Point and therefore, any chance of actually dying.

This ticked the GM off so when the other player's character regained consciousness hours later... he was suffering amnesia. Didn't know where he was, or who he was, or who were all the people congregating around. One of the prominent NPC's came over to help him up and take him along to a medical vehicle and.... end of the campaign. Just kind of petered out with no real sense of closure, which was the cherry on top, given this was a three year campaign.

----

Cliff notes: I'm more than a little salty, and feeling a little cheated at the character I put almost three years into building up* essentially getting offed in a pretty unclimactic and unsatisfying manner, by unnecessarily overkill friendly fire, which I still could have survived, if the GM hadn't decided to arbitrarily decide I had to make an almost-impossible test to perform a standard action, followed very shortly after by our three year campaign ending with little more than a shrug and a "The End."

*To clarify I am not so upset at the character DYING, persay (this is Dark Heresy, and I was playing a Psyker, it was a serious possibility throughout the campaign). I'm annoyed at the circumstances of the character's death, especially when the GM often pushed a: "If your character does die, don't worry, I'll let you guys take a final action to actually accomplish something with their death so it doesn't feel cheap." This was held up with the previous two character deaths (we had a Guardsman at one point who kamikaze'd herself to kill the individual who had assassinated our Inquisitor, and an Assassin who, in her death throes, set off a chain reaction that blew up a city block and wiped out a gang that had been causing trouble for her for awhile). My character... got killed in a crossfire, on literally THE final dice roll of the campaign.

Maybe I'm being petty about this, but I feel a bit cheated for the final part of the campaign. This has left a real sour taste in my mouth and I'm not sure how to proceed from here. I know for a fact that this wasn't done maliciously on either other player's part, but I can't help but feel frustrated and annoyed that this was essentially a three year build-up to getting killed by friendly fire and then nothing after. I want to discuss how I feel about this with my GM, but I don't know how to go about it without coming across as accusatory.

Anyways.

[/end rant]

The Glyphstone
2016-08-07, 01:56 PM
If your GM has a problem with Fate Points, he shouldn't be running a FFG 40K game. They're an integral part of balance, especially in DH, to counteract the high-lethality and low-success-rate of your character's skill checks.

I guess you had already burned all your Fate as well?

Chijinda
2016-08-07, 02:00 PM
If your GM has a problem with Fate Points, he shouldn't be running a FFG 40K game. They're an integral part of balance, especially in DH, to counteract the high-lethality and low-success-rate of your character's skill checks.

I guess you had already burned all your Fate as well?

Specifically the GM had goaded me into using up my Fate Point earlier that session to weaken the Demon during its summoning. My character had made a big running charge when he saw the ritual was about to be completed and tried to drive his Force Sword into its heart while it was still forming in realspace. He lost the Psychic Power willpower duel with the Demon, but the GM basically told me that I could permanently burn the Fate Point to pass with a degree of success and seriously weaken it in the fight to come.

I was aware of how much my GM disdained the Fate Points as: "Get out of death free" card, and figured I'd throw him a bone, while letting him do fun cinematic stuff, since I'd agreed with him over a year ago, that IF the final battle rolled around and my character still had Fate Points, I wouldn't burn them to not-die, to alleviate his concerns about them.

TheYell
2016-08-07, 02:29 PM
Try some humor. Offer to play an undead knight who takes vengeance on people who teamkill and practice poor fire safety.

You did die a hero. And I can kinda see the basis for an agility roll if you were fatigued.
But I'm also sensing you were meant to die gloriously in battle, the end.

mikeejimbo
2016-08-08, 09:40 AM
I'm more upset with your ally burning a Fate Point. Who doesn't want to die gloriously in battle?

CharonsHelper
2016-08-08, 10:02 AM
Sounds like a case of the GM wanting to tell a story of badass heroic sacrifice rather than run an RPG. (It's an easy trap to fall in, especially at the climax of a campaign.)

Tactically, if the GM hadn't hosed you at the end, throwing the bomb would have been fine since you could have gotten away and he could burn a fate point.

Koo Rehtorb
2016-08-08, 11:22 AM
Well, for what it's worth, ignoring rules by GM fiat is a ****ty thing to do. He's bad and should feel bad.

Chijinda
2016-08-08, 12:23 PM
Well, for what it's worth, ignoring rules by GM fiat is a ****ty thing to do. He's bad and should feel bad.

Yeah, spoke with him yesterday. Neither of us convinced the other of our position. I tried to keep myself from snapping at him, but his position was essentially: "Yeah it's unfortunate your guy died, but he almost survived. Like. You only took 9 damage from the blast, because you'd managed to get so far away. The other player took almost three times that much. Besides, I figured that thing would have a much bigger blast radius than normal anyways, and the explosion probably would have covered the whole room"*

Sounds like a case of the GM wanting to tell a story of badass heroic sacrifice rather than run an RPG. (It's an easy trap to fall in, especially at the climax of a campaign.)

Which I'd have been fine with, if I'd known this from the start and hadn't been building up this character for three years for him to die at literally the final roll of the game, right before he got his ending (given this is Dark Heresy not necessarily "Happy ending", but some form of satisfactory ending at least). I'm feeling frustrated with this, largely because it feels like the rug was pulled out from under me at the last second and that there was absolutely nothing I could have done to prevent this happening.

Who doesn't want to die gloriously in battle?

Welcome to my other annoyance. Essentially the fact that my character didn't and was literally the ONLY death out of literally every death in the campaign to be like that. Our Guardsman and Assassin got.... at the very least satisfying deaths (the Guardsman kamikaze'd a heretical Psyker and the Assassin blew up a city block with her final breath). My character.... literally got killed by friendly fire when the battle was all but won. There's dying gloriously in battle, and then there's basically being a human version of Charlie from Jurassic World.

----

*The explosive in question was actually the other player's jacket. He'd come into battle with about six grenades on him, and his finishing move was basically to pull the pin on one of them and throw the entire jacket at the demon. Apparently the GM decided this was worth quintupling the blast radius, while retaining the full power of all of the grenades.

Edit: Double checked the range. Sorry. He multiplied the blast radius 6x over the largest ranged grenade used (8x the average). At least. I actually don't know how large the blast radius is, merely that a 24 meter run distance and a thick stone wall 10 meters away weren't good enough.

Jay R
2016-08-08, 12:26 PM
Clearly the GM thought the ideal ending was a glorious death for all, killing the demon and accomplishing the mission. You got the closure he wanted the whole party to get, and the other player didn't.

But if you had a three year long campaign in which everything went right until your character died fighting the good fight at the ultimate climax, then rejoice. That clear and final a successful ending is rather rare, and the game was fun for three years.

CharonsHelper
2016-08-08, 12:29 PM
*The explosive in question was actually the other player's jacket. He'd come into battle with about six grenades on him, and his finishing move was basically to pull the pin on one of them and throw the entire jacket at the demon. Apparently the GM decided this was worth quintupling the blast radius, while retaining the full power of all of the grenades.

Lol - explosives don't work that way. Even IF it would make the explosion 6x as big as a normal grenade (it wouldn't) that would be a little less than double the radius. (because... 3 dimensions)

goto124
2016-08-08, 06:59 PM
But if you had a three year long campaign in which everything went right until your character died fighting the good fight at the ultimate climax, then rejoice. That clear and final a successful ending is rather rare, and the game was fun for three years.

Erm, the OP already answered:

Welcome to my other annoyance. Essentially the fact that my character didn't and was literally the ONLY death out of literally every death in the campaign to be like that. Our Guardsman and Assassin got.... at the very least satisfying deaths (the Guardsman kamikaze'd a heretical Psyker and the Assassin blew up a city block with her final breath). My character.... literally got killed by friendly fire when the battle was all but won. There's dying gloriously in battle, and then there's basically being a human version of Charlie from Jurassic World.

OP's character didn't die due to an epic sacrifice, but of friendly fire the player had no choice in, and due to the GM's logic of an explosion increasing in size when more grenades are used.

TheYell
2016-08-08, 07:19 PM
Yeah it would be a more intense blast in the same radius. Thats why nukes come in multiple warheads.

Sooooo...I guess you wake up?

Chijinda
2016-08-09, 12:19 PM
Yeah it would be a more intense blast in the same radius. Thats why nukes come in multiple warheads.

Sooooo...I guess you wake up?

I really, really hope so. I'm hoping I can somehow convince my GM to do something resolving the issue, because I don't want a three year campaign campaign that (as my thread title indicates) was a lot of fun, to get ruined by a crapsack ending, involving a TPK that relied on blatant rulebreaking on the GM's part for the sole purpose of killing a character for no apparent reason (it literally added NOTHING, and only resulted in making the ending worse).

JeenLeen
2016-08-10, 12:40 PM
I can see the annoyance. The ally using the Fate Point doesn't grate me but I see how it can annoy the DM and other players, and the friendly fire seems annoying but tactically reasonable to me (100% chance of killing foe vs. 89.5%?)--though seems like it'd be better to let you try to kill it first and only then throw the explosive... but the DM requiring an extra roll to not die for more flair I relate to.

However, the game's over, so I reckon the best thing to do is vent as needed (as doing so in this forum) and try not to let it bother you with your friends. If you do another game with them, maybe establish that RAW is important to you and have a debriefing after emotions (yours) and egos (DM's) have had time to cool and get some distance from what happened.

Again, I'm not meaning to discredit your feelings. It sounds like you've had relatively peaceful talks with the DM. I've almost lost a friend due to a bad DM-player experience, so I just want to emphasize not to let it risk friendship or the potential for future fun games if another campaign together is feasible and desired.

Traab
2016-08-10, 01:25 PM
Would it have really killed the dm to make a short "Then they all went home grand heroes and lived happily ever after. Until they were eaten by a Grue" speech? I mean, I sort of see what he was going for. The campaign is over, there is nothing left, might as well arrange for a victory plus mutual kill. I bet, had the guy not hurled his grenade vest at the monster, you would have found that you all did not QUITE enough damage, and the demons attack went off, killing itself and everyone else at the same time. He just figured he could take advantage of a 6 grenade explosion fest and kill everything this way instead. So yeah, i totally get your annoyance with that. There was no need to try to kill everyone to end the campaign. I know little about dark heresy so I dunno if its even an option but come on, give the party a celebration feast with the ewoks or whatever, maybe a brief blurb about the life they lived afterwards as an epilogue and say The End. Thats a perfectly satisfying ending and wouldnt tick off the players.

The Glyphstone
2016-08-10, 01:27 PM
Would it have really killed the dm to make a short "Then they all went home grand heroes and lived happily ever after. Until they were eaten by a Grue" speech? I mean, I sort of see what he was going for. The campaign is over, there is nothing left, might as well arrange for a victory plus mutual kill. I bet, had the guy not hurled his grenade vest at the monster, you would have found that you all did not QUITE enough damage, and the demons attack went off, killing itself and everyone else at the same time. He just figured he could take advantage of a 6 grenade explosion fest and kill everything this way instead. So yeah, i totally get your annoyance with that. There was no need to try to kill everyone to end the campaign. I know little about dark heresy so I dunno if its even an option but come on, give the party a celebration feast with the ewoks or whatever, maybe a brief blurb about the life they lived afterwards as an epilogue and say The End. Thats a perfectly satisfying ending and wouldnt tick off the players.

Silly Traab, that isn't nearly !!!GRIMDARK!!! enough.

Chijinda
2016-08-10, 09:35 PM
Would it have really killed the dm to make a short "Then they all went home grand heroes and lived happily ever after. Until they were eaten by a Grue" speech? [....] I know little about dark heresy so I dunno if its even an option but come on, give the party a celebration feast with the ewoks or whatever, maybe a brief blurb about the life they lived afterwards as an epilogue and say The End. Thats a perfectly satisfying ending and wouldnt tick off the players.

Half-half. No celebration feasts with the ewoks (perhaps celebration feast where the ewoks are the main course, those filthy, filthy xenos scum), but that would have left me satisfied. Dark Heresy isn't necessarily the TTRPG for a happy ending, but satisfying endings are possible, especially with the lives and goals we'd constructed. As you say. A simple: "You walk off with the NPC, as he begins informing you that his own Inquisitor has taken a vested interest in your work, and might have a job for you...." would have been totally fine and acceptable.

However, the game's over, so I reckon the best thing to do is vent as needed (as doing so in this forum) and try not to let it bother you with your friends. If you do another game with them, maybe establish that RAW is important to you and have a debriefing after emotions (yours) and egos (DM's) have had time to cool and get some distance from what happened.

Again, I'm not meaning to discredit your feelings. It sounds like you've had relatively peaceful talks with the DM. I've almost lost a friend due to a bad DM-player experience, so I just want to emphasize not to let it risk friendship or the potential for future fun games if another campaign together is feasible and desired.

Yeah I'm having that very real concern. I'm giving it a week before I talk to the GM about it. At least partially along the line of: "Man, I'd have been fine with you killing my character if it had either A. Been by the book, like that time with the Eldar, or B. If I'd had a say in it, like that time with the Psyker. I feel a little backstabbed here that you basically threw the rulebook out the window at the tenth hour and pulled the rug out from under me, for, what seems like no other reason than to arbitrarily kill my character, and give him a **** death at that."

Hopefully we can work this out and come to a satisfying conclusion for this. I like the GM as a friend, and he WAS a very good GM, right up until the last ten minutes of the campaign. I'd like to be able to trust him to run another, ESPECIALLY as he's already talking about running an Only War or Rogue Trader campaign. But until we clear the air on this, I'd be very hesitant to take him up on it, out of the concern that the next one would end the same way.

Traab
2016-08-10, 11:32 PM
Thats probably for the best. Explaining why that death specifically upset you so much and ask that he just keep that in mind when you start to reach the end of your next multi year campaign should be ok. At the very least, even if he DOESNT change how he likes to end things, you now can expect it coming so you dont get caught off guard when he railroads you into a death scene at the end of the final battle. Maybe try to get some sort of random get out of deadly trap free item really early on so he forgets you have it then whip it out last second and BAM! You teleport back to town as the mushroom cloud rises in the distance. :smallbiggrin: Dont forget to refuse to look in that direction though, cool guys dont look at explosions. They blow things up then walk away.

Mr Beer
2016-08-11, 01:05 AM
Sounds like the GM thought it would be super cool and in keeping with the general theme if everyone dies taking down the Big Bad Guy, cue classical music with slow-mo blood-spray deaths for everyone. Fade to a grimy but good-looking nuclear family that witnesses a hopeful dawn sunrise due to the heroic sacrifice of the now-dead party.

I agree with that premise but of course a player is going to feel gypped if his character who has been lovingly developed over several years is just jammed into the blender to without one of either player agreement or the cold impartial whims of the dice.

Cozzer
2016-08-11, 04:37 AM
I agree with pretty much everybody else: the GM had a vision of How Things Should End, which involved as many heroic sacrifices as possible but at least one and your character and your closure were sacrificed for the sake of his vision.

I think the biggest thing he missed is that, to have an heroic sacrifice, you need to have a CHOICE before. You can't just say "oh well he died fighting the monster, what a dramatic heroic sacrifice huh?". Something as big as a PC's death needs to be VERY CLEARLY estabilished as the result of a choice of that character's part. And no, "I was standing near the monster because THAT'S HOW MY CHARACTER CAN FIGHT while that other guy decided to detonate everything" is not a good enough choice. :P

I mean sure, fighting the final boss was already a risk to the characters' lives, but that would count only if their deaths happened during the normal course of combat. If you, as a GM, add another cause of death (such as "suddenly can't escape from explosions"), you need to link it very strongly to something the character has done before.

Chijinda
2016-08-11, 04:56 AM
I agree with pretty much everybody else: the GM had a vision of How Things Should End, which involved as many heroic sacrifices as possible but at least one and your character and your closure were sacrificed for the sake of his vision.

This is very likely, and one of the things I'm going to discuss with him when I get around to it. The unfortunate part is on the "at least one"-- at the time my character was offed, he didn't realize the guy playing the Scum, was going to burn a Fate Point. He'd rolled up the stuff for my character first. Actually, both he AND I thought the Scum player was going to GO the heroic sacrifice route, because he had given my character the warning to run, and then thrown the bomb at the demon while he was standing at point blank range. He'd also cited the GMPC, who had given up her life in a similar manner to bring down the Big Bad's right hand man. We both assumed he wasn't going to actually burn his Fate Point to survive, because he at least, was getting a heroic sacrifice out of the deal.

We didn't realize he was burning his Fate Point until after the GM had rolled out all the damage on my PC, and mine was dead.

JeenLeen
2016-08-11, 07:58 AM
Yeah I'm having that very real concern. I'm giving it a week before I talk to the GM about it. At least partially along the line of: "Man, I'd have been fine with you killing my character if it had either A. Been by the book, like that time with the Eldar, or B. If I'd had a say in it, like that time with the Psyker. I feel a little backstabbed here that you basically threw the rulebook out the window at the tenth hour and pulled the rug out from under me, for, what seems like no other reason than to arbitrarily kill my character, and give him a **** death at that."

Hopefully we can work this out and come to a satisfying conclusion for this. I like the GM as a friend, and he WAS a very good GM, right up until the last ten minutes of the campaign. I'd like to be able to trust him to run another, ESPECIALLY as he's already talking about running an Only War or Rogue Trader campaign. But until we clear the air on this, I'd be very hesitant to take him up on it, out of the concern that the next one would end the same way.

Explaining why that death specifically upset you so much and ask that he just keep that in mind when you start to reach the end of your next multi year campaign should be ok.

Some advice I saw a couple years back on this forum (and good in general): Try to emphasize why it bothers you (like it's your problem), not what the DM did wrong. It probably is necessary to state that it bothered you that the rules were done not by RAW and that's what led to your PC dying, but try to phrase it in a way that doesn't put the DM on defensive or hurt his ego.

This is not to say he should be coddled or that he shouldn't be able to handle it rationally and not get defensive, but approaching the topic from that angle makes it less likely he'll get defensive and more likely y'all can talk rationally like adults. Unfortunately, that's just tricky with humans :smallwink:

GungHo
2016-08-11, 08:34 AM
I'm on the side of the folks saying the DM picked the wrong game if he didn't like how Fate points work. DM's gotta learn that if he wants to be a director, he should have gone to film school.

Chijinda
2016-08-12, 07:56 PM
Finally discussed how I feel about it to the GM. He took it pretty well, to be honest, and basically straight up conceded that he wasn't satisfied with the ending of the campaign for the sole fact that one of his players found it really unenjoyable (and that until I'd told him, he'd been fine with it). He also confirmed that this HADN'T been intended to be a "everyone is certain to die" campaign, and agreed that the "perfect ending" as it was, would have had my character limp away from the final battle, with the other player having made a heroic sacrifice.

He's still a little peeved at the other player for going needless overkill on the final part, but stands by his call (to quote: "When [the other player] made the decision to fire all the grenades, not just one or two, I was forced into deciding how to interpret the outcome. Honestly even I think ALL the grenades was overkill. He could easily have only thrown a few, like just the frag/krak, but that is not important. When [the other player] detonated all the grenades, I had to decide what the outcome for it was. As I already said, there are no rules for this in RAW. Detonating 7+ grenades is going to, no matter what, have a different reaction than just one.")

As far as he's concerned, he made a quick ruling for how it would work, and it was unfortunate my character got caught in the process. He added that he hadn't expected it to actually kill my character, but hadn't accounted for the massively high armor penetration of the explosives used (which effectively doubled the final damage).

EDIT: After further talking to him, he came up with a solution that I'm okay with. He's semi-retconned the ending so that my character was mortally wounded, and buried beneath the collapsing cathedral. He was not present for the final discussion, or the final twist ending (learning that one of the characters that had aided us on our journey since basically the beginning was a secret Inquisitorial agent), but that he survived and would emerge some time later as a new person. Metaphorically dead, but physically alive.

It's a bit of a different ending than I expected but I'm a bit more comfortable with it, and it seems thematically fitting, since a large part of my character's development over the campaign was finding a sense of identity (being a Psyker, he had spent pretty much the entire campaign in a state of self-deprecation). It seems like a solid ending for the character.

goto124
2016-08-13, 06:33 AM
So what happened was that the GM, caught by surprise, came up with something on the fly and it was unfortunate that it came with unfavorable things for you as a player.

We all make mistakes, it's more important to clean up and move on! :smallbiggrin:

JeenLeen
2016-08-15, 11:29 AM
I'm glad to hear about the good resolution. It's heartening that things went well, and I'm glad you got the retcon (especially if it might come into play for a future Warhammer game.)

Cluedrew
2016-08-15, 11:57 AM
I'm more upset with your ally burning a Fate Point. Who doesn't want to die gloriously in battle?
I think the biggest thing he missed is that, to have an heroic sacrifice, you need to have a CHOICE before.My reply to the first is the second. I suppose taking the risk can be seen as the choice, but really it isn't. Driving an emergency vehicle is mildly heroic, but is dying in a car crash while driving a heroic sacrifice? No, it is not.

Anyways I'm glad that things worked out at the second surprise twist ending. It does seem to fit from the little I know about the game.

TheYell
2016-08-15, 12:53 PM
He's semi-retconned the ending so that my character was mortally wounded, and buried beneath the collapsing cathedral. He was not present for the final discussion, or the final twist ending (learning that one of the characters that had aided us on our journey since basically the beginning was a secret Inquisitorial agent), but that he survived and would emerge some time later as a new person. Metaphorically dead, but physically alive.

"Can anybody hear me? I'm not dead...just...badly burned...I can't get out by myself..."

Glad that you got a satisfactory ending!

AMFV
2016-08-15, 01:21 PM
"Can anybody hear me? I'm not dead...just...badly burned...I can't get out by myself..."

Hey it's Warhammer 40k, in that universe "And I Must Scream" is one of the best possible endings.

Chijinda
2016-08-15, 02:05 PM

My character had a thing with burns over the course of the game. And by thing with burns I mean: "Every time he got hit in Critical status, it was with an energy weapon, and that energy weapon happened to roll a result that set him on fire." If he didn't have Regeneration he would literally have been a walking piece of charcoal from about the halfway point in the game onwards. It got to the point that after about the fourth time it happened, I volunteered to add to his character sheet that he permanently exuded the slight odor of charred flesh, even after all his Regenerations (GM loved the idea).

Quite frankly, waking up to find himself burned like that, likely would have resulted in a: "Oh Emperor, is it Thursday already?"