PDA

View Full Version : Mastering the Basics: Rescue the Prince

Blinkbear
2016-08-07, 03:21 PM
Outside, in the court of the Winter Knights headquarters, just on your way to leave for a nice and well-deserved vacation: Suddenly, one of the Winter Knight officers comes running out of the building. "Hey, you, wait." For a moment, you ponder to just keep on walking as you know that your coaches are waiting outside the court. As the officer arrives next to you, he does not wait for you to stop: "Please, I know, you have booked your vacation and all. But there is an urgent matter regarding Prince Aramias." You freeze immediately in your steps upon hearing this name. Prince Aramias, or as you usually call him the prince, the one that you accompanied on a mission to reclaim a token legitimating his entitlement to the throne. The prince who you initially assumed to be nothing but a spoiled brat who wants to have an adventure, and who you all considered a friend once you get to know him. It was years ago when you were first called to his court. Back then, his mother, Queen Marianna, was deathly ill. Aramias' father was long dead, and as the only child, it was clear for many that he would become the new king. But not everyone in the Kingdom of Adrastea was so favorable to Aramias' heritage. Voices became louder that Aramias may be the actual heir to the throne, but he cannot prove it, as the Amethyst Hawk, an elaborate statuette and token of leadership, was not in his possession. Actually, the token had been stolen years before Aramias' birth. It became clear that if Aramias wanted the backing of the public and the nobles of Adrastea, he had to acquire the token. However, he was just 14 years old at that time, and so he came to the wise decision to order reinforcements from the Winter Knights. Back then, you were chosen to accompany him on his mission, and together you were able to bring the token back to Adrastea. But your successful return was not the only occasion for a feast: During your absence, healers have found a cure for Queen Marianna's disease, restoring the last bit of authority of the crown. Back then, Aramias made you all friends of the small royal family of the not very big kingdom of Adrastea. He invited you to sit and eat at his table whenever you are near, which was the biggest honor he could give you as a prince. But as the years gone by, there was always something else, and your adventures never led you back to Adrastea. At this moment, in the court of the Winter Knights headquarters, it seems that you hear of Prince Aramias for the first time since an eternity, even though you surely spoke about your friend and your common adventure at several occasions, be it during lonely nights at the campfire or in taverns full of joy. Now, that the officer tells you that the prince is in need, you don't have to exchange more than a quick look to know that your vacation would have to wait...

Without further discussion, you get inside again, and get minimally briefed on your mission. As it seems, no one really knows what happened, but there was a kind of distress signal coming from the Recall Stone under control of the royal family of Adrastea. "They remained guarded over the actual subject of the mission, but emphasized the urgency of your return." Your instructor does not seem entirely happy about it, but this is also not the first time that you experience such behavior from clients. For you, the whole idea of a distress signal coming from the prince is more reason to worry than to start your mission without knowing its actual parameters. "I would assume that their is some political importance to the secrecy of your mission. But they payed for a 'port, and transferred the money, and more importantly the right code sequence." You know that your instructor does not care about the money itself, but for your general safety and the compliance to the usual workflow. "Please, get to the 'porting chambers once you're ready. Supplies and your standard equipment already wait for you."

The Teleporting Chambers are one of the most curious parts of the complex. Together with the Recall Stones, the chambers are some of the most unique characteristics of the Winter Knights. Their nature is arcane, and there most important advantage over teleportation scrolls is that they are not limited in distance, as long as they can be precisely targeted, such as on recall stones. None of you have the experience with arcane structures to really understand how they work, but those of you with some basic magical understanding know that the recall stones leave some imprint in the magical weave that perfuses and surrounds this world. You also know that every recall stone comes with a complex system of code sequences aiming at ensuring authenticity of the recall requests.

You enter the chambers through the entrance of the control center, a room in the middle with the impressive arcane control panel and six exits leading to smaller rooms, separated by transparent walls. Above the control panel, translucent columns of force hold a variety of different, expensive looking gems. As you know, the gems are feeding the machines, and only very rich clients can afford the usage of the chambers. As you enter, the officer on duty greets you friendly. "I've heard, you're going into the dark? Can't see where you're goin', the stone's just gen four." He shrugs with an apologizing look on his face. "Any last preparations? I'm ready if you are, chamber three has been prepared -- your stuff's there, too."

Before we continue, please make sure that you have prepared spells, decided which spells you want to cast before the teleport, have decided on your arsenal of adventuring gear, et cetera. Once ready, please post so that we all know.

J-H
2016-08-07, 03:40 PM
Arsun Bladeson

Arsun shrugs a few times to settle his pack on his shoulders. He thumbs the catch on his sheath, making his sword ready to draw quickly at need. "I'm ready. Nobody's going to throw up this time, right?"

Ridai
2016-08-07, 05:46 PM
Vanya is heading straight to chamber three. "Foxy, I'll need you to help me with my armor. Come on people, our prince is calling." Clearly, she wants to get going ASAP, gearing up in the chamber to become the hulking and surprisingly agile figure of steel that has been responsible for many of her opponents needing a change of pants if they were still alive after the encounter.

Debatra
2016-08-08, 02:07 AM
Debatra makes a quick stop in his quarters, where a satchel containing his usual equipment lays waiting. After a brief check of the supplies, he heads down to the Teleportation chamber and silently signals his readiness to proceed.

Jötunn
2016-08-08, 05:27 AM
Hale's we're-finally-going-on-vacation grin fades as the Winter Knight officer calls out to him and his friends. He scratches his head, shakes it, then appears to mentally fortify himself for the new venture.

"And here I was looking forward to a long series of hot baths. But you know what they say - no rest for the wicked and all that."

He takes a moment to pick up a satchel of adventuring gear, before hurrying on towards chamber three.

WarTortoise
2016-08-08, 11:00 AM
Little Blue Fox deftly pulls the straps of Vanya's armour tight and fastens them with practiced ease. She throws Arson a sideways glance, snorting.
'I have a delicate system. Arrow to the back of the skull to those with complaints. It's an unnatural way of travel and Ill never get used to it.'

She claps Vanya on the back to signal her she's good to go.
Deep down she's relieved to get pulled back in for a last minute summons. Little Blue Fox felt much more at home with these people around her.

Ridai
2016-08-08, 11:34 AM
Once she feels the familiar signal, Vanya bends down and kisses Little Blue Fox on the forehead. Then, the giantess is ready for action, her massive sword on her back.

Blinkbear
2016-08-09, 03:11 AM
Once everyone has given the sign of being ready, the person in the control center gives you nod and a thumbs up, before placing his hands above the control panel. You can see his lips moving, and his hands emitting a blueish glow met by a yellow radiance emerging from the panel. As soon as the two fields meet, you feel the strange and unnerving feeling of small entities crawling through your abdominal region. When the light is finally green, the feeling suddenly changes to having a set of heavy stones in your stomach, dragging you to the ground, which has also started glowing in a light green. Though not painful, the effect still causes a certain nausea for some of you. Although you have stepped through the chambers on several occasions, and you know that it will happen, the moment of suddenly leaving the material plane still hits you every time: A flash of green light, forcing you to shut your eyes, locking everything in place for a split second, then nothing but void, your friends only silhouettes losing their shape quickly. Then, without giving you actual time to think, the environment changes again, and the stones in your stomach are gone, leaving behind a light tingling sensation.

You open your eyes and stand inside an unknown room, your feet on soft carpet. Your surroundings become clearer, and you make out that the room is roughly 15ft times 25ft. You stand in its center, a huge table blocks a good portion of one wall, traces in the carpet hinting that it has been pushed away from the central position, together with a set of chairs. There is a small serving cart in one corner of the room, carrying half a dozen of crystal glasses and a few bottles holding various, seemingly expensive liquids. Otherwise, the room is mostly bare, with the exception of some tapestries of moderate creativity showing hunting scenes. There is one door leading out of it at one of the narrow sides, it is half open and you can hear a muffled voice from the outside until it is shushed by someone else: "Master Aiden, Master Aiden, they're..." You do not know the voice of the interrupted speaker, but you know the name it is mentioning: On your first and last visit, Master Aiden has been one of the most trusted servants of the Prince, providing him with council. The prince often said that Aiden had always been around, and during his childhood his usual go-to person with all his problems. Moreover, Queen Marianna had also always spoken well of him, and when you left on the quest, the prince gave the life of his mother into Master Aiden's hands. Now, that Aiden steps through the door, it takes you a moment to recognize him, as he has apparently aged significantly since your last visit. But the slightly crooked nose still gives him away, and the warmth has not left his brown eyes. His wrinkled face shows signs of deep worrying but also of happiness of your return. Quickly he closes the door after himself. "Oh thank the heavens that you are here!" He moves to greet you all like members of his own family, and obviously he is deeply moved and relieved of your quick appearance. "Please excuse that Aramias is not here to greet you." The way he says the name of the prince is rather the way of a worried father than that of a servant. He bows down between you and picks up a small, seamless gray stone that only emits a faint greenish glow, tucking it into the pocket of his woolen vest. "He... he has disappeared, and I am afraid not voluntarily." Apparently, the old man needs a moment of collecting himself, and the once so strong man reminds you of an old, wooden log that has held the roof up for so long, but now impends to become frail.

Ridai
2016-08-09, 03:50 AM
The teleportation chambers are always a wild ride, but by now, Vanya (due to her armor and her own weight) has mastered the art of emerging with a rock-solid stance like a walking bastion. Which also helps the group if they need something to hold on to in order to not fall over from the sheer dizziness (or tumbling into their own barf).

A smile comes effortlessly to Vanya's lips as she sees Master Aiden. "It's good to be back, Master. Even if I'd have preferred being invited to a birthday or pool party." Vanya's voice has a pleasant rich sound that has only been refined more with the passage of years. After all, in terms of how half-giants age, her prime has only just begun. Hopefully, a bit of humor helps to at least take some of the edge off the situation. When she hears about Aramias being kidnapped, the giantess remains silent, her mouth a thin, hard line, the slight motions of her eyes betraying a great many emotions exploding at once. But right now, there is no time for that. In the end, it would only make everyone miserable. No, they need something to act on. Something that leads them to the kidnappers and to a monstrous adamantine sword dividing body halves with furious swings as she curses their rotten souls to the pits of Asmodeus' ass crack.

"I... I see," Vanya answers finally after a deep breath, the sound of restraint quite audible. "Tell us what happened and what you know, show us all physical evidence or clues you have. Please leave nothing out."

J-H
2016-08-09, 07:43 AM
Arsun

Arsun relaxes as it becomes clear that the group had not teleported into battle, but tenses again at Master Aiden's explanation. One hand involuntarily grips the hilt of his blade.

"He's no simpering child to be kidnapped easily. I bet he was taken with magic, or in his sleep. What do you know so far?"

WarTortoise
2016-08-09, 09:05 AM
"Farc urak cram kachgynn!!"
The Orc curse sounds crass and angry. Little Blue Fox spits it out as they arrive.
She holds Vanya for support as they arrive, her stomach turned upside down but she manages to hold her meal this time.
Ugla, her owl companion, ruffles his feathers and seems to share Little Blue Fox's distaste for the means of travelling.
It quickly becomes clear what they're here for though, and she regains composure. Little Blue Fox takes a step back and awaits Master Aidens answers.

Jötunn
2016-08-09, 10:07 AM
Noticeably paler than usual, Hale staggers to a chair, clutching at his mouth on the off chance that the teleportation has played havoc with his insides. "Always forget just how bad that is. Farc ur cran... however that goes, indeed."
A few breaths - and coughs - later, he stumbles to his feet to welcome Master Aiden, still a little woozy on his feet. Exchanging a handshake of surprising strength, he greets Aiden warmly. At his revelation as to Aramias' situation, however, his mouth settles into a thin hard line, and his eyes glitter with a need for action - his momentary nausea entirely forgotten. "We'll do what we can, but we need to know everything you can tell us."

Blinkbear
2016-08-10, 02:04 AM
The old man nods at your request. "Yes, I shall tell you everything I know. We are currently in the royal summer residence, he likely told you about it, as he already loved it as a child.It was supposed to be a nice summer holiday interrupted by some diplomatic meetings, but I'll come to those later. Yesterday morning, around 30 hours ago, Aramias took a horse and rode it into the forest without further company. As always I advised against that, but as he knows those forests since his childhood days, he dismissed it. When he did not return until the later afternoon, I decided to send his three most trusted riders, but when they returned shortly after dark, they had not found him. I was not sure what to do, knowing that Aramias is an able man, and you taught him well in survival. Additionally, I wanted to prevent a scandal, so I sent riders out again this morning once the sun was out, but rain falls over night made it impossible to further follow his tracks, and they quickly returned. And then... then... his horse returned, but without his rider. It was limping and wounded -- by arrows if I am not mistaken. I consulted some basic magic and found that there was poison in the wounds, causing it to trip and fall. I knew that I could not wait any further, and called for you. Probably should have called you yesterday already." Serious worry and regret seem to consume Master Aiden. "I... I thought that maybe he wanted some loneliness before the upcoming meetings, and who could have blamed him... Ambassadors from neighboring countries are expected for routine discussions over new trading routes and other diplomatic issues." After a small pause he looks at you: "I am so glad that you came, carrying a light into the darkness that has fallen over us." He tries to smile. "I became an old man, and my memory is not the best anymore - do you have any questions?"

You remember that Aramias told you about an idyllic place at the rim of a forest full of dear for hunting, and right next to a clear-watered like for bathing and relaxing.

[roll0]
1: Vanya, 2: Arsun, 3: Little Blue Fox, 4: Hale, 5: Debatra.
You also remember that he told you once about some hidden ruins in the forest, which had always been the center of the ghost stories of him and his playmates, but none of them ever dared to actually seek out or enter the presumably haunted place. Maybe he told you about it because you told him about your childhood accident - assuming you told him about it.

Ridai
2016-08-10, 02:22 AM
"You did all you could, there is nothing for you to regret," Vanya tries to soothe Master Aiden's mind. "I think I know where to start looking. What I want you and everyone here to do is to stay calm and trust us. We will take it from here." Dealing with clients 101: not having them lose their heads. Nothing to be gained from worrying themselves sick. Ideally, fear is replaced with hope, given a team of professionals is now handling their problem. The giantess looks to the others to see if they have any questions.

WarTortoise
2016-08-11, 11:48 AM
Little Blue Fox steps forward.

'Ill need to see the horse, and something with Aramias' smell on it. His morning dump if need be. We can't waste time. Rain washes away tracks, and makes things difficult but impossible is for idiots.'

Blinkbear
2016-08-12, 02:22 PM
When Vanya has finished, the old man actually looks a bit soothed, and he gives you all the best smile he can offer you at the moment. When Little Blue Fox speaks in her own, not very courtish way, she actually elicits a small, quickly vanishing grin from him.

"Of course, please tell the stable mistress, a woman called Tara, that you are looking for Ortega, that is the name of the wounded horse. He will also give you horses if you require them. I have also let someone prepare you packed lunches, I will tell him to bring them to the stable. If you need anything else, please send after me, I will try to do the best I can. But now I shall not keep you waiting here longer." With that, he takes a step to the door to open it, and politely holding it for you. "You there, Emre, get them to the stables or wherever they wish to go." The servant standing outside nods eagerly, sending curious and admiring looks at you.

Ridai
2016-08-12, 03:03 PM
"Good thinking," Vanya praises Little Blue Fox. Curiously enough, the giantess managed to develop the ability to track by scent as well despite being unable to shift like the elven ranger can or wield magic like Hale and Debatra. She likes to attribute it to Little Blue Fox rubbing off on her.

"We will get Aramias back," Vanya says to the Master once more. Emre's admiring gaze is answered with a comely smile that has made a good number of men weak in the knees in the past. "Hello Emre. Be so kind and take us to the stables, hm?" She'd rather have people here fantasizing what the giantess looks like under that armor (and her clothes) rather than having them worry themselves sick. She follows Emre's lead with the others.

Blinkbear
2016-08-14, 06:14 AM
Emre leads you eagerly through the small mansion to the back entrance, into the backyard and to the stables. Emerging the buildings, you can see some stable lads doing their work, but Emre only offers them a friendly nod and a casual greeting, as he leads you directly to a woman in her early thirties, who is currently grooming a very nice and healthy looking horse. When you come near, she immediately turns around upon hearing you approaching. She looks at you with a mix of amazement and distrust, and removes a strain of her curly black hair from her face. Before Emre she can say something, Emre announces proudly that you are the Winter Knights who were called to find the Prince. Some of the mistrust leaves the woman's face, and she gives you a friendly smile. "Greetings to you, I'm Tara. What can I -" her eyes scan each of you quickly. "Wait a second, you're not by any chance those Winter Knights, are you?"

Ridai
2016-08-14, 07:13 AM
The friendly smile is mirrored ba Vanya, with an extra appreciative examining look. "Nice to meet you, Tara. If you are thinking of the Winter Knights who escorted the prince years back, yes, that would be us. If you could show us Aramias' horse, that would be much appreciated."

Blinkbear
2016-08-14, 04:44 PM
She gives an admiring nod. "Aramias always spoke very well of you. It is good to see that you are on the case! And sure, Ortega is in the back of one of the smaller stables, I will lead you there." She pets her horse and binds it to a fence before doing as she promised. She leads you into one of the smaller stables where there are just a few horse stalls inside. Ortega seems to be the only horse in the building, and as Tara explains, it is so she can recover from her wounds and trauma. The horse is currently lying in its stall, and as you enter, it slowly takes up its head. There is still pride in its movement and you can see that it is a strong animal. "See, my lady, you have visitors." Tara introduces you calmly and friendly to the horse.

J-H
2016-08-15, 05:03 AM
Arsun
While Little Blue Fox works on acquiring the Prince's scent, Arsun begins saddling the horses that the party is going to take. "I'll start getting us ready to go.... where are the saddlebags?"

Ridai
2016-08-15, 05:11 AM
Vanya keeps a bit of respectful distance, not wanting Ortega to feel crowded or threatened, the poor horse has been through enough. "Is she still wounded? Perhaps we could help with a bit of healing magic."

With Arsun skipping the pleasantries, Vanya picks up the slack. "We'd also like to borrow some of your horses to speed up finding Aramias, if that's alright. We would try to keep them out of danger as much as possible and, when in doubt, send them back to the stables if things become too threatening."

WarTortoise
2016-08-15, 11:00 AM
Little Blue Fox walked briskly into the stables and waited impatiently while Vanya introduced the group. She noted Arsun taking initiative and nodded appreciatively while hurrying to inspect Ortega herself.
The majestic animal had always awed her and it visibly hurt Little Blue Fox to see her like this. She carefully stepped closer and whispered introductions to her.

To approach Ortega and have him accept her in her stable for inspecting: Handle animal: [roll0]
Possibly a Wild empathy check to improve his attitude towards her: [roll1]

Carefully she tried her best to inspect the wounds and see if she could find anything noteworthy.

Knowledge nature: [roll2]

During this Little Blue Fox turned around every now and then and asked Tara some questions.
'Is she getting worse? what did you find?. We need to get going soon so try not to waste our time, but if you leave out important information ill have your hide.'
Her tone was polite up to the threat, even though she just meant it for the Aramias' sake and didn't mean to attack Tara personally.

Ridai
2016-08-15, 11:51 AM
Vanya adds a "She's like that," adding a soothing gesture towards Tara.

Blinkbear
2016-08-16, 03:36 AM
Reaction for Arsun:

Tara nods and calls one of her subordinates. "Paul, come over here, and show this Sir our horses, so he can select some for him and his fellows." The man in the fifties nods understandingly and guides you to the other stables, showing you around, and telling you about the different horses, their individual advantages and disadvantages. Paul apparently knows the animals well, and you can see how much he loves them and his job that he likely has for a long time. "... and over there you can find saddles and related equipment. Once you made your choice, I can help you to saddle them up. Oh, look, there's Nira" A strong woman in her fourties appears, waving friendly to Paul, who wears working clothes and carries some packages in two baskets. She greets you with a slight bow. "Ah, there you are. Master Aiden told me to deliver packed lunches and ... a more personal request, I assume?" With that, she holds up a small package of cloth, if you are not mistaken it is a nightgown made of silk, slightly wrinkled, and obviously worn.

Reaction to Vanya and Little Blue Fox:

Tara bursts into a short, hearty laugh. "I've got to admit, I like her style. I always favor honesty over etiquette." This comment was obviously honest, but she quickly returns to a more sincere state. "Her wounds do not bleed anymore. If you want to remove the bandages, and see for yourself, do it, I would change them in an hour anyways. If I am not mistaken, she still suffers from the poison, but she's strong and will recover." Ortega does not attack Little Blue Fox, but she also does not seem overly sympathetic with being disturbed.

Without removing the bandages, Little Blue Fox' observations agree with Tara's.

In game terms, Ortega has presumably taken ability damage to at least one of her primary abilities; which recovers steadily over the next days.

Ridai
2016-08-16, 04:35 AM
"Oh, Foxy's dirty mouth is adorable, and the two of us cursing makes sailors blush, I just usually take one for the team and play the part of the nice, cultured lady when dealing with people. It usually just makes things go more smoothly, pretty safe position to start from, and helps with return customers and bonuses." Vanya bridges the time Little Blue Fox takes to examine Ortega. After a moment of silence, she drily adds "Well, that, and men's faces being level with my huge tits." as if it was the most normal thing in the world to say.

J-H
2016-08-16, 07:35 AM
Arsun

"Yes, the...clothes...go to that one" (pointing at Little Blue Fox). Arsun continues making sure the horses are ready to go. "We'll eat as we ride out."

WarTortoise
2016-08-16, 02:35 PM
Little Blue Fox diligently removed the bandages and inspected the wounds.
'Men are easy.' She added to Vanyas remark.
'It always astounds me how you're able to charm womenfolk though. They're the tricky ones.'

After her inspection she stood up and took the package with linen from Nira. She stuffed it in her own backpack and went over to Paul and Arsun who had the horses ready.

If she found something under the bandages that didn't directly add up she kept it to herself.

'You're on the right track with Ortega.' She told Tara.
'She's lucky to have you guys watching over her.'

Ridai
2016-08-17, 08:03 AM
"If a woman thinks I'm hot and and a good time, it's rather straightforward. But hey, maybe I'm secretly a unicorn and start blasting rainbows out of my ass any moment." Seeing they are pretty much done and have what they need, Vanya nods. "Right, time to go. Thanks for the help everyone, and keep doing what you're doing, because you are a really fine crew, and I mean it. We'll take it from here."

Time to saddle up, navigate to those spots they know in the forest, and follow Little Blue Fox' nose.

Blinkbear
2016-08-18, 02:43 AM
Vanya and Little Blue Fox:
Tara laughs again. "Is that so? Girls, maybe upon your return, we can sit down for a drink, or two, or thirteen, what do you think?".

Little Blue Fox:
You concur with Master Aiden that the wound was caused by a bolt or arrow, and also that Ortega will recover naturally. The wound has been professionally taken care of, including the correct usage of an exquisite mix of herbs known to have anti-inflammatory effect. All in all, you are pretty sure that the horse is in good hands here, and that its state is taken very seriously.

About three hours later, you find yourself surrounded by trees. Little Blue Fox is following back Ortega's tracks, presumably in animal form. About an hour ago, the hunters that had accompanied you to show you where they lost the tracks have left you to return to the residence. Although they were polite, and apparently tried to be helpful, you also enjoy to roam the forest on your own again, falling back into known workflows, knowing who has whose back, and so on. From the hunters, you have learned a bit about the geography of the general area. The summer residence is in the southern part of the kingdom. It lies south to a bifurcation, which separates the Trea, the great river that flows from south to north through the kingdom, into two arms: The Kifas goes straight to the west, and vanishes in the mountains, serving as a transport route for products from the mines. The Pirga goes south-east (and later more and more to the south), and has many small branches. The summer residence is at the rim of a great forest, Partan's Grove, that is enclosed from the north by the river Kifas, to the west by the mountains, to the east by the river Pirga. In the south, the forest levels off into sparsely inhabited grassland and many smaller groves. The hunters can tell you that there is a lake at the southern rim of the forest. You find out that they normally stick to the north-western part of the forest, as the forest is rider-friendly there (with not so much undergrowth), and there are many native animals due to the many live-giving branches of the Pirga. Apparently, none of them has ever ridden deeper into the forest. As you casually ask for reasons, you find that although there are a lot of typical stories you would hear about a thick, mostly untouched forest, the hunters claim that they never found a reason to go there and explore. The stories, as one may expect, include bed-time stories like evil faeries, strange magical beasts, but nothing very precisely. The hunters do not talk about any specific landmarks let alone buildings in the forest. There are some tree stands and a small hunter's cabin in the north-western part, but as you pass it on your way, you find it empty and unused for a longer while.

You are now deeper in the forest as any of the hunters ever was. For adventurers like you, it does not give off an overly bad vibe or so, and though it is thick, there is still enough light for you and the horses to see where you go. It all goes well until you suddenly lose the track: From one step to the next, the smell of the horse is gone, and the visible tracks also stop in an unnatural manner. Quickly, a cantrip is cast to find the source of this phenomenon, and, after a short discussion, the casters come to the agreement that there seems to be a dormant portal of some sort. The casters are not sure on how to enable it, but they assume that is either bound to specific creatures, objects, a command word or gesture, or some sort of hidden mechanism. Or it could simply be that the portal is only usable for a limited number of transports per day or some other unknown time frame.

Little Blue Fox: What animal have you changed into, if any?

Ridai
2016-08-18, 04:15 AM
Vanya grins to Tara. "Make that 'maybe' a 'definitely'. Those pretty little city girls are nice enough, but I love me some actual women with character who know what they want."

-----------

"Vitun iso," Vanya swears in her mother tongue when she hears that magic portals are involved. "Those bastards mean business. And I hate it when I can't help with something." The giantess' tone is very close to snarling, still trying to look around for anything out of the ordinary or something that was left behind (or removed recently).

J-H
2016-08-18, 07:37 AM
Arsun

"A portal? Hmm, so we face something from far away, or something magical." Arsun tries to think of anything he's heard before that could be relevant.

K: History [roll0]
K: Local [roll1]
K: Nobility [roll2]

Blinkbear
2016-08-18, 01:21 PM
Arsun

"A portal? Hmm, so we face something from far away, or something magical." Arsun tries to think of anything he's heard before that could be relevant.

K: History [roll0]
K: Local [roll1]
K: Nobility [roll2]

PM sent with the result of the knowledge rolls.

J-H
2016-08-18, 02:46 PM
Arsun

"From your lips to nobody's ears, ladies. A few old-timers around here have stories about succubuses sneaking around at night and sucking the blood out of people. Now, some of the old fogeys are still sharp, and one of them says that there used to be some blood-mages ruling around here, long, long ago, and that people have just swapped old men in robes out for something a little more fun to think about.

I guess he was right. I may owe him a few beers...or maybe the prince'll end up owing him a case of the good stuff."

Ridai
2016-08-18, 03:00 PM
"Well, think whoever is active out here might be based in those ruins? Because I have no idea what else to do here."

Blinkbear
2016-08-18, 03:38 PM
The casters both remember that blood magic often uses fresh blood as a focus. But it's not the most popular art, and both are not experts on the topic.

Ridai
2016-08-19, 04:18 AM
Vanya looks at her colleagues, then shakes her head. "The things some people do for flashy lights." She takes off a gauntlet and nicks her finger, trying to see if a few droplets of blood are causing anything.

Blinkbear
2016-08-19, 07:15 AM
As the first drop of blood falls towards the floor it suddenly stops midair, floats for a few moments, and then dissolves in a miniature explosion. Directly afterwards, Vanya feels an alien, invisible power of unknown source connecting to her life force, a pressing feeling in her chest, a slight dizziness in her head. There are no further visible effects.

Vanya, something is lightly damaging your life force, or in game terms, causes 1d4 ability damage* to constitution. You may make a fortitude save DC 15 to avoid the effect. As usual, you may decide to not make the fortitude save.
* ability damage returns at the rate of 1 point per night, or 2 if given proper bedrest. It can be restored magically by spells such as lesser restoration.

Blinkbear
2016-08-19, 07:22 AM
With relative ease, Vanya shakes it off.

There are no further tangible, visible, or otherwise sensible results.

Ridai
2016-08-19, 07:28 AM
"Mitä helvettiä?!" Vanya shouts and that is probably the nicest thing coming from her in that moment, Little Blue Fox picking up bits and pieces of swearing some sailors would take issue with. Growling, she adds "**** this blood magic crap. Unless anyone of you has an idea how to deal with this, I'm looking for those damn ruins."

WarTortoise
2016-08-19, 08:11 AM
Little Blue Fox jumped up after seeing Vanya in distress like that.
'Hell Vanya, blood magic! That's not a thing to play around with!' She scolded more out of fear for Vanya than anything else.

She paced around worried.

'This has to be the place!'

She led her horse to the exact spot where the portal was supposed to be and had him stand there calmly. She fed the noble creature a sugary root and turned around.

'Goddess forgive me'

Fast as lightning she spun back around, Longspear in hand. Her for was perfect and her aim steady when she jabbed it in the neck, hoping to find the artery and kill the animal where it stood.

Blinkbear
2016-08-19, 08:51 AM
The horse has no way of knowing what will come, and it goes down instantly under the well-placed strike. Immediately, blood spills over the forest ground, and is then magically lifted up a few feet into the air. Small drops are drawn towards each other and form a red bubble which steadily increases in size. Then, within a moment, it suddenly compresses quickly and immediately thereafter bursts into myriads of diminutive particles. A visible magical aura ascends from the ground and shows the outlines of a magical portal. On the other side, one can see... Forest. Either a different part of this forest, or a different one. It is darker there, presumably a result of the forest being thicker and the trees higher.

Meanwhile, the body of the horse is going paler and paler.

I handled this as a coup de grace. The horse took 20 damage and did not make its fortitude save to stay alive.

Ridai
2016-08-19, 08:56 AM
"What the hell?!" Vanya exclaims as Fox kills the horse. As the portal forms, she curses the damn blood mages and that they made them kill an innocent animal just to go after them.

"Make the horses return to the stable! Too dangerous from here on out!" Vanya shouts, sword in her hands as she steps through the portal, knowing they have no time to lose. If they have to open the portal from the other side, she wants to do it with the blood of a blood mage. Preferably from all of them.

Debatra
2016-08-19, 09:54 AM
"...While I was about to suggest something similar, I think that may have been overdoing it. I don't see any other corpses around here after all." That being said, he steps through as well.

J-H
2016-08-19, 04:54 PM
Arsun

"This day has gone from bad to creepifying. Let's go." He draws his blade, and steps through the portal.

Blinkbear
2016-08-21, 06:31 AM
You send the horses away, and one after one, you step through the portal. The experience nowhere near distressful as traveling via teleport chambers. Actually, it's a bit more like missing a step when going downstairs in dark building. For a moment, you feel like falling but then you immediately find solid ground under your feet.

Although you already had seen a preview of the target location, entering it is more impressive. For a moment, you feel submerged in the sound and smell of the new environment. You are still standing in a forest (and also quite possibly the same forest) but it is much thicker and darker here. You can hear the sounds of various different forest animals - though mostly chirping birds and buzzing insects. It is rather unimaginable to identify something such as a path here in this rather untouched landscape.

Using scent, you can find Ortega's tracks again and follow them. Again, after some time and careful examination, you can again identify tracks of Ortega going in both directions, so wherever she was separated from her rider, is presumably still ahead of you. As you look back, you can see the portal growing not only smaller but also weaker.

The way through this part of the forest is more tiring and the tracks are not as easy to follow. Your sense of smell is often distracted by the smell of animals or plants, but you manage to continue your way for around an hour or so. Slowly, you start to feel hungry, and the idea of eating some of the packed lunch is tempting. Then again, the prince could be near...

Proceeding further, you feel that worry builds in each of you, you can't really put a finger on it, but something here seems wrong. You had not noticed anything wrong just 20 minutes before, but now you can't suppress this rather primal feeling from growing inside you. You proceed more carefully, trying to follow the tracks and still make out the source of your unnerving feeling.

I would assume you currently go in the following order:
Little Blue Fox is in front, tracking. Or is Vanya doing this?
Vanya and Debatra are behind her; if they cannot go side by side, Vanya takes the lead.
Arsun is the rearguard.

You identify that some part of a huge, sprawling bush looks somehow unnatural, as if it does not really belong there. The thing is about 40ft away from Vanya and 35ft away from Debatra, and is on the left hand side of your group. It's branches remind you of long tentacles hanging from it, and... Did one of them just move?

You finally manage to identify what's wrong: Not enough noises. No birds, no squirrels, no toads, rustling in the undergrowth... just your steps and buzzing insects.

You can feel that your owl is trying to stay as close to you as possible, tacking itself to you with its claws.

J-H
2016-08-21, 07:20 AM
Arsun

Arsun speaks in a low voice that won't carry far. "We're being hunted. The birds and animals are quiet."

Ridai
2016-08-21, 08:59 AM
"Aye," Vanya agrees, sword in hands. "Someone put an arrow or spell into what wants to be a bush over there." The huge blade pointing towards that... thing 40ft away, Vanya putting herself between it and the group, but not yet going closer.

J-H
2016-08-21, 09:42 AM
Arsun

"I think it is a plant of some sort. Those long branches may be some sort of weapon. I can probably get past them safely to hit it, but it'd be safer to either go around it, or attack it from here, where it can't reach us."

Debatra
2016-08-21, 02:19 PM
"No reason to burn down the entire place. Yet." He still keeps an eye on the odd plant, ready to do just that if needed.

WarTortoise
2016-08-21, 03:39 PM
"Your right," Little Blue Fox says to Arsun while not taking her eyes off of the bush.

She's been quiet since opening the portal.

"Looks like some sort of plant-creature to me. I'm all for trying to get around it without it having to battle it."

She puts her words into action and tries to steer clear of the bush while trying to pick up the track again.

Ridai
2016-08-21, 03:42 PM
"A'right." Vanya gets moving again, but keeps an eye on the tree-thing.

Blinkbear
2016-08-22, 06:54 AM
Just a few moments later, the "bush" rears up to a height of 15ft and starts to move into your direction. Its branches wiggle like angry tentacles and in midst the leafs and thorns, a big dark mouth is opening...

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG241.jpg

By the length of the tendrils and its obvious flexibility, you may safely assume that it has a reach of 15ft.
The area here is difficult terrain, that is, every square counts double for movement, and thus "free" five foot steps are impossible. The creature has just moved 10ft into your direction.

Here is some (rather simple) floor plan, to make everything easier.
(http://bit.ly/2bGpEVJ)

The uppercase "P"s is the creature, the lowercase "p" indicates its reach.

Green patches are squares with big trees n them. Reds are heavy undergrowth which slow down even more: 1 square costs 4 squares to enter.

I will roll initiative now:

[roll1]
[roll4]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll0]

So, you can all act once before the plant creature acts. It is not flat-footed, as it has already acted (surprise). You don't have to exactly post in the initiative order, but stuff will unfold unless you use delay.

Ridai
2016-08-22, 08:14 AM
"So much for that." Not one to hesitate and having no nice way to her target, Vanya just charges right into the thick of it, come hell or high water (or, in this case, flailing plantacles). "That pretty smile's about to become a lot bigger!" she shouts towards the beast, and even with the undergrowth present, each of the giantess' steps have a telltale muffled, heavy pound to it, amidst the deep clattering of her heavy armor.

Charge to E13 (AC reduced to 15)
Attack (with charge bonus and power attack -2) [roll0], [roll1] damage

edit: Damn it, I'd be surprised if that ends up hitting.

WarTortoise
2016-08-22, 03:37 PM
Little Blue Fox lined up an arrow while whistling sharply through her teeth at the same time.

Her owl, Schnauzer, responded by spreading its wings and flying off. Schnauzer circled the monster and attacked it with his razorsharp talons.

While schnauzer descended upon the monster, Little Blue Fox took aim for the heart or center of the creature and fired.

Little Blue Fox
Ranged attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Schnauzer
Talon attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

J-H
2016-08-22, 04:34 PM
Arsun
Arsun moves forward, dodging and rolling to get past the tendrils before striking. As he attacks, he seems to swing from two directions at once.

Tumble [roll0] vs DC 15 to avoid AOOs. AC is 19. Should end up in E15.

Using Shadow Blade Technique, and power attacking for -1/+2

Attack [roll1]
Attack [roll2]
Damage [roll3]
If both attack rolls hit, add [roll4] cold damage.

Debatra
2016-08-23, 06:06 AM
Iaerta takes to the sky and circles the battlefield as Debatra casts Blinding Color Surge through his Rod. He appears to liquify and fly toward the beast in a multicolored stream of energy.

Touch attack: [roll0]
On hit, it has to make a DC18 Will save or be blinded for two rounds.

Rendered invisible by his spell, the Elf moves to F-11. Iaerta will yell a warning if she detects any new threats incoming.

Invisibility - 10 rounds

Blinkbear
2016-08-23, 01:13 PM
Round 1, resolution

floor plan
(http://bit.ly/2bGpEVJ)

The uppercase "P"s is the creature, the lowercase "p" indicates its reach.

Green patches are squares with big trees n them. Reds are heavy undergrowth which slow down even more: 1 square costs 4 squares to enter.

L - (1d20+6)[17]
A - (1d20+4)[17]
D - (1d20+4)[12]
V - (1d20)[10]
P - (1d20-1)[9]

Little Blue Fox commands Schnauzer and fires an arrow that easily hits its target, throwing up some of its surface leaves. Schnauzer flies to the creature's back, and is mostly ignored by the creature. Arsun tumbles gracefully through the wiggling tendrils and hits the creature with both attacks due to Schnauzer's support at flanking the creature. Debatra casts his spell, becoming invisible, and maybe blinding the creature...

Will Save: [roll0]

Blinkbear
2016-08-23, 01:16 PM
Round 1, resolution, part 2

Hit by the spell, and obviously confused about the situation, the creature's tendrils wiggle around even angrier. Vanya sees her opportunity and charges through, sinking her weapon deeply into the stem of the huge plant.

More to come later, got to work, sorry.

Blinkbear
2016-08-23, 07:12 PM
Round 1 resolution, continued

The plant creature tries to attack Vanya, as she attacked last, her position is rather clear to the blinded monster.

Bite
Att. [roll0]
Dmg. [roll1]
Miss chance 1 = miss, 2 = hit [roll2]
If it hits:
Opposed Grapple: [roll3] vs. [roll4]

In case of nat 20:
Att. [roll5]
Extra Dmg. [roll6]

Tendril 1
Att. [roll7]
Dmg. [roll8]
Miss chance 1 = miss, 2 = hit [roll9]
If it hits:
Opposed Grapple: [roll10] vs. [roll11]

In case of nat 20:
Att. [roll12]
Extra Dmg. [roll13]

Tendril 2
Att. [roll14]
Dmg. [roll15] (rolled the wrong damage, will reroll in next post)
Miss chance 1 = miss, 2 = hit [roll16]
If it hits:
Opposed Grapple: [roll17] vs. [roll18] - plant creature wins

In case of nat 20:
Att. [roll19]
Extra Dmg. [roll20]

Blinkbear
2016-08-23, 07:22 PM
The plant creature only hits with one of its tendrils, but this one hit is enough to grab her and pull her up into the air, shake her around with ease, and then lifting her into its huge mouth, starting to chew on the half-giantess immediately.

Vanya takes [roll0] damage from the tendril, and [roll1] damage from the chewing. Vanya is now grappling.

Curiously, some of the creatures wounds start to close again: Where there was splintered wood a second a ago, there is now new wood with green leaves.

Vanya: Grappling, 25 damage
Plant creature: Grappling, blinded for 1 additional round, 33 damage (originally 43, but regenerated 10)

Initiative:
L - (1d20+6)[17]
A - (1d20+4)[17]
D - (1d20+4)[12]
V - (1d20)[10]
P - (1d20-1)[9]

Floor plan: http://bit.ly/2bGpEVJ (http://bit.ly/2bGpEVJ)

=> Party!

J-H
2016-08-23, 07:37 PM
Arsun
Arsun swings his blade again; it reflects the light for a moment and then seems to burst into flame before quenching itself deep in the plant creature.

Burning Blade, includes +2 damage from WIS thanks to Discipline Focus
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1] plus [roll2] fire damage.

Crit confirm rolled in OOC, rolled a 25 for 14 extra damage.

Ridai
2016-08-23, 09:59 PM
Grunting in pain from the grievous wounds, Vanya still has some fight left in her, biting the tendril to free herself, then moves out of its range for now. She's no use to the group if she immediately gets killed after freeing herself.

Vanya uses Iron Heart Surge to free herself. Then moves to H13.

Though at this rate, the monster only needs one lucky round to kill her.

WarTortoise
2016-08-25, 02:50 AM
Wasting no time, Little Blue Fox took another arrow and sent it straight at the beast. Aiming at the same spot she shot before.

"Anybody any bright ideas?"

Little Blue Fox
Ranged attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Ridai
2016-08-25, 02:53 AM
"If we don't have a way to kill it, we keep moving. It's slower than us."

Debatra
2016-08-26, 03:11 PM
"So are we just leaving then? Because I can live with that."

He moves to A-12, taking Total Defense while making what is hopefully a bunch of distracting noise.

Blinkbear
2016-08-26, 04:42 PM
Round 2, Part 1

Little Blue Fox waits for a good opportunity to fire the arrow, but the back and forth of the tendrils, and the involvement of Arsun and especially Vanya make it difficult. Finally, she shoots, but misses -- luckily she also does not hit Vanya. Arsun takes perfect aim and strikes the plant creatures. Splinters fly and mix with sparks, but do not set the creature on fire: Apparently, its succulent body is not highly inflammable. Still, the damage is well-visible. Debatra moves and goes into total defense rattling around to make noise. Vanya frees herself from the creatures grip and takes a safe position just outside the tendrils' reach.

Vanya: 25 damage
Plant creature: blinded until initiative 12 in the next turn, 57 damage

Initiative:
L - (1d20+6)[17]
A - (1d20+4)[17]
D - (1d20+4)[12]
V - (1d20)[10]
P - (1d20-1)[9]

... actions of the creature incoming ...

Blinkbear
2016-08-26, 04:55 PM
The creature is spinning its tendrils vividly in every direction, trying to locate and eliminate both the source of its attacker and the noise at once.

Miss Chance (1 = miss) [roll0]
Att: [roll1], if required: [roll2]
Dmg: [roll3], if required: [roll4]
If required: opposed grapple check:
P[roll5], A[roll6]

Miss Chance (1 = miss) [roll7]
Att: [roll8], if required: [roll9]
Dmg: 1w6+4, if required: 1w6+4
P[roll10], A[roll11]

Choice of the field (6 = hit) [roll12]
Miss Chance (1 = miss) [roll13]
Att: [roll14], if required: [roll15]
Dmg: 1w6+4, if required: 1w6+4
P[roll16], D[roll17]

The plant creature's whirling attack do not help its situation: It's bite cannot pierce Arsun's armor, and he successfully dodges the tendril attack. The second tendril is rushing around, lashing at Debatra who swiftly dives into safety.

Plant creature: blinded until initiative 12 in the next turn, 47 damage (was 57, regenerated 10)

Initiative:
L - (1d20+6)[17]
A - (1d20+4)[17]
D - (1d20+4)[12]
V - (1d20)[10]
P - (1d20-1)[9]

=> Party

J-H
2016-08-26, 05:12 PM
Arsun

Arsun strikes again with a powerful, accurate blow. "We should disable it first."

Power attack for -3/+6
Emerald Razor makes it a touch attack.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Blinkbear
2016-08-28, 02:47 PM
Little Blue Fox knocks another arrow and fires it at the still blinded creature... and hits, and how she does. The arrow goes deep into the creature, only some feathers looking out.

Att. (includes -4 penalty for being in melee with Arsun) [roll0]
Dmg. [roll1]

Shortly after, Arsun lunges out and hits the stem heavily, leaves falling down to the floor.

Although it is difficult to assess the status of such an alien creature, you believe that you have amassed a critical amount of damage.

Plant creature: blinded until initiative 12 in this turn, 74 damage (has not regenerated yet)

Initiative:
L - (1d20+6)[17]
A - (1d20+4)[17]
D - (1d20+4)[12]
V - (1d20)[10]
P - (1d20-1)[9]

=> Debatra => Vanya (Ridai, you may already post if you want, but you may of course also wait)

Debatra
2016-08-28, 04:16 PM
Debatra moves to D-7 and casts Lesser Acid Orb, taking care to aim away from his allies.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Blinkbear
2016-08-29, 02:05 AM
Debatra hurls an orb of acid at the plant creature. Upon impact, the acid immediately begins to dissolve parts of the creature, accompanied by a fizzing sound. For a split second the creature wiggles its tendrils into Debatra'a general direction, and then its movement dies. Already, you can see some of the sword cuts to close...

The thing is disabled.

Ridai
2016-08-29, 04:38 AM
Vanya moves in to give the thing a bit more to work on.

Moves next to the thing and attacks it with -2 Power Attack
[roll0], [roll1] damage

Blinkbear
2016-08-29, 10:10 AM
Vanya turns her sword in her gloved hands and starts hammering on the creature, starting to break down its internal structure. During that, more of the slits and holes start to close again.

Plant creature: disabled, 64 non-lethal damage (just regenerated 10), 35 lethal damage

We could play it out, by you continuing to post attacks, and if you want to, multiple. The thing now has an AC of 8.

As the AC is very low and it basically boils down to hammering it to death, we might as well move on. Depends on how much fun you have with throwing virtual dice :)

Ridai
2016-08-29, 01:00 PM
With the beast down, Vanya really puts her weight and strength into her slams, crushing the plant to a pulp, with the occasional burst of ooze erupting from the viny mass until it doesn't move or regenerate anymore. With a huge swing, the giantess throws off the pulp and juice sticking to her sword. "That's that. Let's keep going."

Two uses of the healing belt used to recover
[roll0] HP recovered

Debatra
2016-08-29, 08:07 PM
Debatra takes a few moments to examine the creature. If it appears to be "bleeding" some kind of sap, he takes two samples before continuing with the rest of the group.

Blinkbear
2016-08-30, 02:43 AM
Debatra harvests some of the ooze that is only found in the very inner core of the stem. While doing so, he discovers a medium-sized warhammer in the remains, which oddly enough, seems to be in very good shape.

Then, you are back on track.

As the forest is getting deeper, it becomes more difficult to measure the time you already spent in it. Fortunately, you manage to follow the tracks, and the farther you get from your encounter with the plant creature, the louder and livelier the surroundings. Now and then, you see remains of supposedly old blocks of light gray or white stone - weather-beaten and mostly overgrown. Near one of those stone blocks, the trail becomes more peculiar: Apparently, Aramias got off the horse here and had a small break. Additionally, you now have different tracks to follow:
1) As it seems, at some point in time, Aramias has mounted Ortega again, and you can find the horses two-way tracks continue in one direction.
2) You find tracks of Aramias' boots leading away.
3) You find tracks of Aramias' boots returning.

Imagining it on a clock:
Assume you came from 6h,
1) goes to/comes from 3h,
2) goes to 11h,
3) comes from 12h.

J-H
2016-08-30, 03:18 AM
Arsun

"I guess that hammer belonged to someone who couldn't kill the tree-thing fast enough.

I'm curious about where he went, but we should probably follow the Prince's live trail..."

Ridai
2016-08-30, 04:50 AM
Vanya looks at the scene, then to Little Blue Fox. "Can you find out which of the three are the most recent tracks?"

WarTortoise
2016-08-30, 05:18 AM
Nodding thoughtfully she crouches while carefully examining the tracks.

"I wonder what happened to him too. Crossbow bolts fired at Oretga, the portal.. Now this."

Blinkbear
2016-08-30, 05:45 AM
It appears as if Aramias arrived here by horse, went somewhere on feet, returned and then traveled further riding. Still no signs of a fight, so it presumably happened at a later point.

WarTortoise
2016-08-30, 05:53 AM
"He could have had to take a piss." Little Blue Fox remarked after sharing her findings with the group.

"But perhaps he saw something worthwhile stopping for..." She looked up at the others.

"Shall we follow the foot-tracks? He couldn't have gone far, right?"

Ridai
2016-08-30, 05:57 AM
Vanya shakes her head. "Finding him has top priority. Everything else can wait until we've done that." Since Ortega's tracks seem to be the way to go, that's what the giantess wants to follow.

WarTortoise
2016-08-30, 06:10 AM
"Right." Said Little Blue Fox. She hurried after Ortegas tracks. A short and silent moment with Schnauzer had the owl fly off.

Every few minutes or so Schnauzer flies overhead and disappears out of sight with one or two powerful wing strokes.

Not wanting to run into a living plant like before but still trying to keep up the speed, Little Blue Fox also tries to be as silent as possible.

If possible I'd like Schnauzer to circle around the group to warn for any dangers. Not too far, just so we might get a warning before anyone sneaks up on us, or lies in ambush.

Blinkbear
2016-08-30, 02:53 PM
Schnauzer takes off to the sky, and follows the group from the distance. It is difficult however to actually keep a good overview and to also stay in contact with the group, because the trees stand tightly together, and their sprawling branches build roof over roof of leaves.

Finally, Ortega's tracks end. Snapped stalks of grass, pieces of torn up moss and trampled plants tell a story of a fight, supported by wooden arrows with simple but sharp heads scattered across the ground. A broad drag mark can still be seen even though it is partially covered by leafs, leading away from the place, hinting at a wounded path between the trees. Apart from that, no other tracks. Apparently, this is the place where Ortega turned home, presumably without the prince, as you have not seen another place where he had dismounted.

Has anyone taken the hammer? Who?

Ridai
2016-08-30, 03:00 PM
(When in doubt, Vanya has taken the weapon in case it's Hammer Time again)

Vanya's fist grips her sword's hilt tighter. It's a good thing there is her trusty weapon in her grip, not someone's neck. The giantess growls and follows the drag marks.

WarTortoise
2016-08-31, 05:50 AM
Little Blue Fox lets Vanya take the lead and moves to the right flank disappearing into the bushes.
This way she can't follow the track herself anymore but should hopefully be able to follow and keep up with Vanya.

She quietly whistles Schnauzer back at her side.

Blinkbear
2016-08-31, 02:52 PM
With Little Blue Fox keeping some distance to the rest, you relentlessly follow the trail for a few minutes.

However, before you come too far, and also before the trail ends, you suddenly hear a shrill voice (speaking in common) coming from somewhere ahead, slightly right of you: "What are you doing...", then directly continued from slightly ahead and left of you: "...in our homelands...", and finally from somewhere behind you: "aliens?"

As much as you try, you can't see the sources of the voices. They all sounded very similar to each other.

Ridai
2016-08-31, 03:07 PM
"We are looking for our friend, who we believe has been kidnapped," Vanya responds truthfully, stopping and only subtly checking her surroundings. Play it straight. There is no telling who, what, or how many they are dealing with here, and they probably have the upper hand right now.

J-H
2016-08-31, 03:52 PM
Arsun
Arsun makes his blade ready for battle and gives a threatening glower.

Intimidate [roll0]

Blinkbear
2016-09-02, 05:42 AM
As a reaction to Vanya's answer, and possibly also to Arsun's stance body language, an alien form of whispering grows and then dies abruptly. You could not make out any words, it was more of a mix of the sound of wind blowing through leaves, small animals rushing through high grass, and subtle cracking of trees in the wind. But, still it somehow sounded like a discussion. Again, the voices come from different directions:

"This friend ... you speak of: ... Tell us ... more about him..."

Ridai
2016-09-02, 06:25 AM
"We haven't seen him for several years. Back then he was hardly more than a boy, by now, he should be a handsome young human man, with chestnut hair, noble in posture and demeanor. He was brought here along with his horse and seems to have been attacked, then dragged here, while his horse returned home."

Blinkbear
2016-09-02, 07:51 AM
Again, the "whispering", and again, the voices seem to come from different directions:

"He came into our lands... Not for the first time... We always let him stride... Until he brought harm! What once lay bound in the dark is now free... free to roam the light! A shadow of the past... Poisoning the forest... Spoiling plant and deer... It must be contained! Again! Impossible for us. Impossible for him. But not for you! We hoped that some would come... of his kin.. to look for him. To now contain what he let go... while he stays our pledge."

Ridai
2016-09-02, 08:05 AM
Vanya's grip tightens, clenching her teeth as anger begins to boil. No. No. Deep breaths. There are no villains here and Aramias' well-being is at stake.

"We can do that, if you can tell us everything you know about this shadow and how to fight it. I am trusting that you won't harm Aramias in the meantime. We do as you ask, you give Aramias back to us in good health, then we go our seperate ways in peace. Do we have a deal?"

Debatra
2016-09-02, 03:18 PM
Debatra steps forward, passing Vanya but not moving far beyond. "Before we agree to any such thing, bring him to us or us to him. When we know he is well, we may agree to terms."

WarTortoise
2016-09-03, 12:45 AM
Little Blue Fox stepped out of the bushes and joined her friends. She had an arrow notched and a seriously concerned look on her face.

OOC:
Any chance a knowledge nature check light reveal what we're dealing with here?

[roll0]

Blinkbear
2016-09-03, 06:16 AM
Fortunately, Little Blue Fox is allowed to move without being shot.

Vanya's question followed by Debatra's requirement is quickly met with the expected wave of whispering. Then, suddenly, a magical translucent image appears in front of the group: It shows Prince Aramias, bedded on moss in a mostly dark room. There is a single small ball of light floating over him, illuminating him enough to show that his eyes are closed, but breathing regularly. He is restrained by thin ... plant ... roots? The room itself is not fully visible but hints here and there suggest that the prince is held in an underground den in the earth, roots coming through roof and walls. The prince seems unharmed with the exception of a small bruise in his face and that his clothes have suffered a bit. "We will not harm him... Even though he harmed us... You shall have the prince when... it... the shadow is... contained again... It came from the... Old houses... Of stone... An unholy place... Untouched by the sun... The roots cannot... break through... connect... An ancient place... From long before the Beginning... Of us... Disconnected... Unnatural."

You suspect Fey of some kind. Dryads, Sprites, ...

You realize that it might work out better if you ask some more precise questions than asking them to tell you "everything"...

Ridai
2016-09-03, 08:00 AM
Vanya grows quiet as she is looking at the image. A lot is going on beneath the surface in that moment, but only small ripples betray that fact to her friends.

"What is the shadow? Where do we find it? What has it done? How do we contain or defeat it?" There is a bit more edge to her voice. She wants something to act on, not immaterials.

Blinkbear
2016-09-04, 06:15 AM
"It does not live, nor does it rest... What it touches, rots... What it devours, returns... What it speaks to, spoils... We do not know what it is... We don't know how to destroy it... It was contained before our time... The mirror of wisdom says: The prison holds the key... The prison is... disconnected... Unreachable for us... But not for you."

Suddenly, another image appears, this time showing old ruins, built from stones as you have already seen them. Most of what was overground seems to be destroyed or overgrown. But you can make out an entry leading downwards, behind an opened stone door.

"Gaia's light shall guide you there."

Suddenly, a ball of light appears in front of you, shimmering in ever-changing colors. It hovers in front of your eyes for a moment, then the whispering vanishes and the light darts away, about into the direction you came from.

WarTortoise
2016-09-04, 06:32 AM
"Crap." Little Blue Fox said immediately.

"Follow." The light." She whispered to Schnauzer and let the owl go.

She turned to her comrades.

"Well. Looks like our golden-boy got himself in some nasty trouble. Shall we get on with it?"

Ridai
2016-09-04, 09:00 AM
"Yes" is all Vanya says, following the light with quick steps. No use in standing around, they have a bridge to get to and cross.

WarTortoise
2016-09-05, 02:10 PM
"Right then."

Little Blue Fox too hurries after the light.

J-H
2016-09-05, 06:39 PM
Arsun

Arsun follows the others.

Blinkbear
2016-09-07, 02:51 AM
You follow the light as quickly as you can. Unfortunately, whatever exactly is guiding you there does not seem to be concerned a lot with choosing a path that is simple to follow by foot. Fortunately, it waits for you whenever you are falling back too far. Finally, you can see what you already caught a glimpse at in the magical display:

Old ruins, built from stones as you have already seen them. Most of what was overground seems to be destroyed or overgrown. But you can make out an entry leading downwards through an opened stone door.

The ruins somehow give each of you a kind of uncomfortable feeling. For one it may seem cold, for another unnatural, for yet another: Plain unholy. The whispering voices had called it "disconnected", and although not really clear what they meant by that, you somehow feel it.

On the other hand, those are old ruins like you likely encountered them before. From the building style and its rotten state, this could be practically everything, from a ruined old manor to a once marvelous crypt. The inside of the underground complex appears to lay in the dark. The (open) stone door has an approximate width of 5ft and height of 7ft. The entry is below your current ground level, a small descent leading towards it. Surprisingly, the last feet toward the door actually seem like a path, and the ground is firm earth without vegetation.

Should your next post lead you towards the entry, please include your currently available vision modes (normal, low light, darkvision, light source...) with ranges (if applicable) into your next post.

J-H
2016-09-07, 07:22 AM
Arsun

"There could be traps or wards in a place like this. Can anyone detect them?"

Arsun has two sunrods and may use one if needed.

Debatra
2016-09-07, 07:59 AM
Debatra pulls out a book, then finds a relatively flat scrap of dirt to sit on.

"Keep your eyes open, and give me fifteen minutes." he says simply.

Blinkbear
2016-09-07, 10:03 AM
You are not disturbed by the environment during those 15 minutes.

Ridai
2016-09-07, 10:40 AM
Vanya sniffs the air and grimaces, not liking this place at all. But a deal's a deal. Her sword remains firmly in hand, just in case.

"Keeping our eyes and ears open's the best bet we have." She looks to Debatra quizzically. "What're you doing?"

Debatra
2016-09-07, 12:52 PM
If the question comes before the fifteen minutes pass, the Elf ignores it. Either way, he snaps the book shut with a satisfies smile, putting it away as he stands up and rejoins the group.

"Changing things up a bit. Now, who here can see in the dark?"

Ridai
2016-09-10, 04:56 AM
Having had enough with the waiting around, Vanya ignites a sunrod, sticks it into her belt and heads into the ruins. "Come on."

Debatra
2016-10-07, 02:43 PM
Debatra casts Ebon Eyes on each of them.

WarTortoise
2016-10-10, 04:56 AM
During the fifteen minutes Little Blue Fox sat across from Debatra, staring at the mage. Mystified by the arcane she always seemed to have had a curiosity about the art Debatra practiced.

As the spell washed over Little Blue Fox, she blinked a few times with surprise.

"Thank you." She said to Debatra as she got up and hurries after Vanya.

Blinkbear
2016-10-11, 08:32 AM
The descending, earthy ground is superseded by plain stone, once the "doorstep" is passed. The path stays a path of an approximate width of 5ft. After a few feet, it descends further in the form of steep stairs, leading further into the darkness. From size and distance of the stair treads, they were once built for medium sized humanoids. Looking further down, seven of the approximately 20 steps are marked with white "X". Further inspection from the distance proposes that the "X" was written with chalk on the stone. At the end of the stairs, a round doorway hints that the path leads into a room.

If you want to use any skills, please list them; either roll, take 10 or take 20, your choice. Obviously, take 10 is favorable if one believes that the DC is not too high, and take 20 consumes a lot of time (approximately 20 times a single roll).

J-H
2016-10-11, 08:43 AM
Arsun

Arsun peers down, trying to see if any of the stairs or the walls or ceiling have scratch marks, blood spatters, burns, or other signs of a trap.

Search [roll0]

How high is the ceiling, and how large are the stairs? A good jump check might be able to leap down the entire stairway without touching any steps.

Debatra
2016-10-11, 02:16 PM
Do the X's appear to be in any sort of pattern?

J-H
2016-10-13, 09:25 PM
Arsun

Arsun sheathes his sword and picks up a nearby rock. Aiming carefully, he gives it an overhand throw that should make it impact the first marked step pretty solidly.

Blinkbear
2016-10-13, 09:53 PM
A few seconds after the stone hitting its target, a burst of smoke and fog appears one step above the targeted step. From the fog, a mostly preserved, animated corpse arises, wrapped in bandages, alien jewelry dangling from arms and neck. As the vapor dissipates, you can't shake the impression of having seen screaming faces in the cloud's tendrils. The silence of the ruins is disrupted by a perfusing moaning of the creature. Initially, it faces downwards the stairs.

Everyone who wants to act, roll initiative please.

J-H
2016-10-13, 10:01 PM
Arsun

Arsun steps down and attacks the creature, trying to leave it more vulnerable to his allies.

Init [roll0]
5' step down (2 stairs, 2'?)
Leading the Attack (WR1); if the attack hits, allies get +4 to hit!

Attack [roll1]
Damage [roll2] slashing, magic

Debatra
2016-10-13, 10:23 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

About how high is the ceiling?

Blinkbear
2016-10-13, 10:49 PM
Okay, so from the entry to the stairway it's 20ft; as described earlier, the path (and also the stairs) is just above 5ft wide. Let's make it slightly easier to track and assume that it is 2 squares wide. Otherwise, we'll get claustrophobic. The ceiling is also just about 7ft high, let's also make it 2 squares high -- the distance between stairs and ceiling increases towards the end of the stairs, at around step 10 we have another 5ft square -> 15ft distance between stairs and ceiling, and from the bottom to the ceiling it's 20ft.

Each of you can act before the Mummy acts.

Btw. Arsun hits. So if you either roll lower initiative or decide to delay to some iniative smaller than is, you get the announced bonus.

Ridai
2016-10-14, 09:03 AM
Vanya moves up, clearly having no time for some stinking corpse to block their path, thrusting her blade forward with all her might.
Initiative [roll0]

Move adjacent to the mummy.
Attack with Emerald Razor and Power Attack -5
[roll1] vs Touch AC
[roll2] damage

WarTortoise
2016-10-14, 01:39 PM
Little Blue Fox quickly takes aim, and lets an arrow fly.

Initiative: [roll0]

To hit: [roll1] (+4 if after Arsun, otherwise sticking to the higher init.)
Damage: [roll2]

Debatra
2016-10-14, 11:01 PM
The Elf will stand aside, out of the way of any allies, then use his Talisman of the Disk (at-will Tenser's Floating Disk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/floatingDisk.htm), CL 3). The disk of force will appear directly behind the creature (preferably touching it, though the disk can't push things), in the middle of the corridor.

Blinkbear
2016-10-15, 04:37 AM
Combat round 1, resolution, part 1 / 2.

Without hesitating, you attack. Both blades connect, sputtering flesh into the air that crumbles to dust the moment it hits the floor. In particular Vanya's powerful blow leaves a hole in the bandaged body, cracking a string of pearls that it wore as a, possibly once very stylish, belt. Vanya and Arsun realize that they have more difficulty driving their blades into the body than usual. Little Blue Fox notices that her arrow did hit the enemy, but did not have enough strength to penetrate the monster's skin.

Upon being struck, the mummy turns around to the party of four. You finally get a gaze at that creatures horrible face, patchy, pale skin stretched tightly over it. The deep, dark eye holes seem to stare into the void and right into your very own soul at the same time.

[roll0] if < 16 paralyzed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#paralyzed) for [roll1] rounds with fear
[roll2] if < 16 paralyzed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#paralyzed) for [roll3] rounds with fear
[roll4] if < 16 paralyzed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#paralyzed) for [roll5] rounds with fear
[roll6] if < 16 paralyzed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#paralyzed) for [roll7] rounds with fear

Please check if you have any further bonuses against fear effects and or that I did not know about.

Blinkbear
2016-10-15, 05:03 AM
[roll0](incl. +4 for helpless enemy)
[roll1](incl. +4 for helpless enemy)

Blinkbear
2016-10-15, 05:06 AM
The mummy's slam hits Vanya who stands there like a statue.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Initiative Order:
Little Blue Fox (paralyzed for 4 rounds)
Arsun (paralyzed for 3 rounds)
Vanya (paralyzed for 3 rounds, took 12 damage)
Debatra (paralyzed for 4 rounds)
Mummy (took 31 damage)

It's the party's turn again. If you have any purely mental actions, basically things you don't have to move for, announce it. Otherwise please let me know that you read this.

Ridai
2016-10-15, 09:43 AM
Resisting the rush of fear, Vanya growls through clenched teeth as she is hit, swinging right back at the walking corpse.

(See rolls here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21304766&postcount=151))

Blinkbear
2016-10-15, 06:09 PM
Said corpse is not able to block the angry giantess' swing. More and more parts from the mummy fall to the floor as the two remaining combatants carry on their dance, but as it is an undead, it does not feel pain, and relentlessly attacks, hitting Vanya with relative ease, slamming her hard into the torso. Luckily, Vanya's body resists the Mummy's rotting curse again.

[roll0]
If hit:
[roll1]
[roll2]

If required (crit):
[roll3]
[roll4]

Initiative Order:
Little Blue Fox (paralyzed for 3 rounds)
Arsun (paralyzed for 2 rounds)
Vanya (took 28 damage)
Debatra (paralyzed for 3 rounds)
Mummy (took 43 damage)

=> Vanya

Ridai
2016-10-15, 06:18 PM
Vanya can already feel another bruise forming and she retaliates promptly, swinging as if she wanted to cleave apart not just the mummy, but also the ground it stands upon.
Having recovered her maneuvers, she uses Emerald Razor with Power Attack -5
[roll0] vs Touch AC
[roll1] damage

Blinkbear
2016-10-15, 07:29 PM
With a powerful blow, Vanya cuts the animated corpse in two. The remains immediately vanish in a crackle of magic. It is silent again. Soon, the others break free of their paralysis.

You can freely act again, no need for initiative.

J-H
2016-10-15, 07:36 PM
Arsun
Arsun turns to Vanya. "Are you okay?"

"That answers the question about the marked steps. Shall we skip them and proceed?"

Debatra
2016-10-15, 10:35 PM
Debatra calls over his Floating Disk, climbs on and sits with Iaerta. He turns to the group and holds up his Talisman. "Would anyone else like a Disk? Handy for not touching the floor."

Ridai
2016-10-16, 09:01 AM
"Sounds handy," Vanya replies, taking the disk taxi down the stairs. Once on the ground again, she waits for the others to get down there and ready themselves (also rolling her shoulders and shaking her limbs for a moment). As for the question how she is, she replies "Some nasty bruises." and she makes use of her healing belt.

Vanya recovers her maneuvers, just in case something jumps them immediately.

She also uses all two healing belt charges to heal [roll0]

WarTortoise
2016-10-16, 09:20 AM
Little Blue Fox also takes the disk and glides down. She stops at the mummy, giving it a once over before heading all the way down.

"Curious creature."

J-H
2016-10-16, 09:52 AM
Arsun easily hops down the stairs, skipping the marked steps.

He auto-passes the jump checks to skip them.

Blinkbear
2016-10-18, 04:31 AM
Luckily, none of the unmarked steps appear to be trapped. Once everyone has found his or her way down the stairs, you can see through the arch into a room with three further exits. All the exits are on the opposite side of the archway that you can see through. There is around 30ft of space between the three archways and some space to the left and right; each of the archways is just over 5ft broad; giving the room a width of nearly 100ft. The distance between the archway you are looking through and the opposite wall (and thus the opposite archways) is only around 30ft. The room itself features flawless, naked stone walls (height of the ceiling ~7-10ft). The floor is equally naked with the exception of a big carving, approximately in the center of the room (~10 ft diameter).

http://orig13.deviantart.net/de5e/f/2013/300/6/e/arcane_rune_tattoo_by_variobium-d6s038z.png

So far, none of you has stepped into the new room, and you are standing crowded together at the foot of the stairs.

Again, please announce if you would like to use any skills or class features. Oh, and it would be a good time to decide a marching order for a 10ft-wide dungeon corridor -- otherwise I assume Vanya and Arsun in the front, Debatra and Foxy in the second row. But maybe you prefer something else.

J-H
2016-10-18, 07:48 AM
Arsun
Arsun walks slowly into the room, walking for any more chalk markings that could denote traps.

That marching order works for me.

Blinkbear
2016-10-18, 07:50 AM
@Arsun: You cannot make out any more chalk markings in this room. The carving on the floor is somehow chilling you, though it could simply be your instinct that carved in arcane runes rarely mean nice things.

Ridai
2016-10-18, 12:40 PM
Vanya gives the more perceptive members of the group some time and room to take a look at the situation. Once the time comes to move on, she votes for the right-hand exit.

(I'm fine with the marching order.)

Debatra
2016-10-19, 02:07 AM
Debatra casts Arcane Sight and has a look about the room. Preferably from a safe distance since the spell's detection range is 120'.

(Taking ten for 26 on Spellcraft checks; 28 dealing with Illusions and 21 dealing with Evocations and Necromancy.)

Blinkbear
2016-10-20, 07:24 PM
You spot no further chalk markings. Debatra's spell let's him detect some magical auras -- in addition to those of the magical effects you are bringing in here.

First of all, the whole place appears to have a desecration effect going on, similar to the spell desecrate.

There are also faint transmutation and abjuration effects all over the place that seem to keep it in shape (protecting it from aging, etc.).

In this room, the most remarkable spot seems to be the carved in arcane symbol (surprise!). The four triangle shaped and the four diamond shaped areas each give of an aura from one of the eight schools of magic. Each of the lines intersecting the two circles gives a separate weak divination aura. You can imagine that they work as triggers.

Debatra
2016-10-20, 08:20 PM
"The room is desecrated, and there seem to be some basic wards to keep the place in working order. Surprise surprise, the big carving has some magic to it; most likely some kind of triggers."

"Hmm... It seems that each of the Eight are represented here." With that, Debatra floats over to the Illusion segment on his Disk for a closer look.

(for anything I can get from the symbols)
K.Arcana: [roll0]
K.History: [roll1]
K.Planes: [roll2]

Blinkbear
2016-10-21, 06:48 PM
Debatra comes closer to the carving. Nothing happens.

If no one objects, I'll railroad you through the corridor on the right hand side.

No question: This thing is an ancient, complex arcane... apparatus, that can definitely do miraculous things. You have heard that those things exist, and you know that the magical facilities the Winter Knights are using were developed on the findings of such ancient "technology". However, you have no idea how this one in particular works. You assume that it could somehow help you to cast spells, to cast them more efficiently, or more effectively. You immediately know which books one could consult on this topic, and you are sure that basically every arcane research facility in the world would be eager to studying this thing. You could even name a few experts on the field. However, you also have no idea how it works, and would need more time study it thoroughly, a process which may prove dangerous if rushed, and even if rushed could take hours.

I hope you're not unhappy with this result. I know that your knowledge check was very high, it's more that this is hidden lore that even researchers don't know about yet (so, it would be kind of strange if you learned about it in school). And also, finding out how this specific thing here works would likely require more studying, as it does not come with a manual. (at least not with an obvious one).

Debatra
2016-10-21, 11:26 PM
No, I definitely get it.

"Now this is quite something. I need a minute or two here. Aramias is top priority of course, but something like this simply needs to be documented."

The Elf excitedly makes a few quick pen sketches of the carvings, noting which parts seem to align with each schools (including cardinal directions, etc) along with anything else he thinks would be useful to take down.

After that is done, he moves along with the others while still making a few notes. He will gladly explain what he knows about these things as they walk to any who ask.

Ridai
2016-10-22, 09:23 AM
Vanya nods. "Maybe it'll help. We ran into our fair share of traps in our career, after all." The giantess waits for Debatra to finish documenting, then heads right with the others.

Blinkbear
2016-10-23, 07:52 AM
Together, you head down the dark corridor. After around 100ft of following the slightly descending path, you find a door to your right. The corridor leads further into the darkness. The door is made of a dark wood, which curiously has not rotten away yet. It has a door knob and a keyhole below it with no light shining through.

Apart from the typical maintenance auras, you can see nothing on the door.

Ridai
2016-10-23, 08:00 AM
Vanya gives the door and handle a poke with her sword.

Blinkbear
2016-10-23, 08:19 AM
The door swings open, giving sight to a room which most likely once had been a study or office of some sort. There are some pieces of furniture, most obvious a huge desk, a comfortable chair behind it. On the left hand side of the door lies a broken wardrobe on the floor. A silver (portable) candelabra stands on the desk with three dark red candles, an obviously valuable chandelier hangs from the ceiling. On each side of the room hangs a picture on the wall, one shows a man, one shows a woman. Each of them are wearing scarlet, hooded robes, and look very happy in their portraits. The back of the room is bare with the exception of a lean, high cupboard. A carpet lies in front of the desk.

Again, the maintenance auras. Apart from that: The chandelier at the ceiling emits a faint conjuration aura. The two pictures emit moderate illusion auras, and you can identify the spell in use as permanent images. The carpet emits a moderate transmutation aura.

So far, none of you has entered the room.

J-H
2016-10-23, 08:22 AM
Arsun

"No sign of the prince, and what is this? Some old academy?"

Debatra
2016-10-23, 08:24 AM
As they walk, Debatra asks to see the Hammer they found on the plant creature. "Might as well use this spell while it's running."

When they reach the door, he let's everyone know of its non-magical state. (I mean the door)

EDIT: Okay, posts appeared while I was typing.

Debatra
2016-10-23, 08:48 AM
"Hmm... got a bit of magic in there. Please, stay out here for a moment." That said; the Elf floats inside, making sure to not go under the chandelier, and approaches the carpet. Can he tell whether the aura is coming from the carpet itself, or from under it?

Blinkbear
2016-10-23, 08:57 AM
It's the carpet itself.

Debatra
2016-10-23, 09:09 AM
I attempt to use the Monocle on the carpet.

EDIT: As mentioned OOC, this takes a full minute. I imagine others may want to do something in that time?

Blinkbear
2016-10-24, 08:57 AM
As it seems, no one wants to do so. So, here's the result:

The carpet is approximately 7ft x 4ft, is an animated object of large size of the long variety (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/animatedObject.htm). It knows to commands (command word activation) in a very old language you do not understand. Let's just call them "Attack" and "Down" for simplicity. "Attack" makes the carpet attack whatever living, small or larger creature comes into an adjacent square; it fights until the target is dead or the command "Down" is given. It will continue attacking new creatures if they appear. Should it be in Attack mode but currently not fighting, and there are more than one creature in its adjacent fields, then it will pick one randomly. "Down" is to just lay there and don't do anything. Luckily, it seems to currently be in the "Down"-mode. It does not know friend or enemy, it does not distinguish between victims. It does not move from its place on its own. Should combat move it (grapple or the like), it does not return to its previous location, and falls down where combat ends. From the listed animated object abilities, it has the blind ability.

Debatra
2016-10-24, 01:48 PM
I move back a bit, focusing both magical and mundane senses on the floor directly under the chandelier.

Search: [roll0]

Blinkbear
2016-10-26, 06:30 AM
As Debatra approaches the chandelier, it turns "on": The light-emitting flames are, after some careful observation, not real, but similar to the effect of a continual flame spell. Otherwise, there is nothing more to see.

I assume that you have checked everything obvious now, with the following exceptions:
The candelabra on the desk.
The broken wardrobe in the corner.
The closed cupboard.

Oh, and because I did not mention that before, the carpet has a weight of around 15lb.

Debatra
2016-10-26, 10:19 AM
The Elf gives a silent beckoning motion to the others, then moves to look through the wardrobe.

Ridai
2016-10-26, 10:35 AM
Vanya enters the room, eyeing the surroundings, especially the chandelier, before heading over to the desk to take a look at it and its contents (if any).

J-H
2016-10-26, 10:58 AM
Arsun enters the room. "Stay off the carpet, right?"

Debatra
2016-10-26, 12:27 PM
"Actually, it seems that thing is 'turned off'. Everything in here is more or less safe."

Blinkbear
2016-10-27, 06:14 PM
Nothing keeps Vanya and Debatra from doing their respective research. The chandelier on the ceiling still bathes the room in friendly light. The carpet stays peaceful.

The desk is obviously a master's work and heavy. It does not go with today's designs, so you can assume that it is pretty old, though still in a remarkable state. The candelabra seems precious, but more a day-to-day tool then anything else. The room has a drawer, which at close inspection appears to be opened a bit. You can see nothing in there yet. As you carefully open the drawer, you see some simple writing material here, though nothing fancy.

Inspecting the remains of the broken wardrobe, you find that someone has actively destroyed it, most likely due to hitting it repeatedly with a blunt object. As you further study it, you find that on two of its arms you find dried up traces of a reddish brown fluid. Most likely: Blood.

Ridai
2016-10-30, 01:59 PM
"Nothing here," Vanya lets the others know and heads over to check the cupboard.

Blinkbear
2016-11-01, 02:42 AM
The door of the cupboard is closed, and obviously held shut by some latch. A strong pull by the giantess, however, reveals the inside of it. There are three shelves inside, their distance increasing from top to bottom. The cupboard appears to be empty, although a feint light is emitted from its rear panel. A quick further inspection reveals a palm-sized disk which emits a feint, slowly pulsing light with the radius of a burning match. The hovers parallel to the rear panel in the air. Debatra cannot see any magical aura diffusing of it.

Ridai
2016-11-04, 07:57 AM
Vanya just grabs the disk to see what happens.

I'm not sure if people are waiting for something...

Blinkbear
2016-11-04, 08:27 AM
As Vanya grabs the item, it can be easily hauled towards her. However, she can feel that her armor suddenly feels slightly less comfortable. The armor crystal has become dull, and the lightness of her boots is gone as well.

Ridai
2016-11-04, 02:39 PM
Vanya drops the item onto a shelf to see if her items work again.

Blinkbear
2016-11-04, 06:48 PM
They do.

The antimagic field covers roughly a 5ft times 10ft cuboid. It can be thrown but only has a range increment of 10ft. It stays in one place until moved by some force (other than gravity).

Ridai
2016-11-06, 03:46 PM
It might come in handy... but Vanya isn't willing to carry something with her that makes her slower and weaker while they are deep in unknown territory. Unless anyone has something against it, she heads back to the crossing with the others and heads north.

J-H
2016-11-06, 03:51 PM
Arsun

"An anti-magic field? Interesting." Arsun removes the 50' of rope from his pack, and begins to tie it around the floating disk.

"Who wants to tow this around behind him or her? Maybe one of our spellcasters? I'd hate to charge into battle dragging this."

Take 10, shouldn't be an issue.

Debatra
2016-11-06, 06:11 PM
Debatra just grins at Arsun. "Yes, make the wizard carry around something that negates all magic. I see no issues with this plan." That said, he proceeds to follow Vanya.

J-H
2016-11-06, 08:27 PM
"Not right behind you. Twenty or thirty feet back, on a leash."

Blinkbear
2016-11-19, 03:17 PM
After about two hours (who can measure the time in here anyway?), you finally reach a place that looks important and also shows traces of a recent incident, possibly even with the prince:

The room behind the elegant archway gives you an ominous vibe with its nearly 10ft high stone walls, cluttered with ornamental carvings, its regular octagon base, and the big stone pedestal on its opposite wall. If you'd have to guess, you would assume that the stone block with a width of 10ft, height of 4ft and depth of 4ft is an altar. However, you cannot be sure as it lacks writings or figurines of faith or similar hints. Instead, shards of broken glass are scattered in front of it, and in midst of it, a dark gray, metal amulet. The amulet appears to be a fist sized spherical pendant on a long metal chain, similar to the head of the morning star, though missing the spikes. The floor of the room is naked as in the rest of the explored dungeon, and does not bear any carvings or other ornaments. Each side of the octagon is around 20ft wide. The archway you are looking through seems to be the only entry to or exit from the room. At its right hand side, on chest height, a palm sized and just a few inches deep basin/bowl of stone protrudes the wall.

Your way here was weary, but we shall not speak about it any further, in particular not about the incident with the trap door.

Your vision boosters are most likely gone, but I assumed that you have a light source by now.

J-H
2016-11-20, 10:15 AM
Arsun

"This looks ominous. Magical, I assume?" He stops at the door and waits for someone to confirm.

Debatra
2016-11-21, 09:26 AM
"Most likely, yes." Even so, Debatra pulls out his monocle and starts scanning the room with Detect Magic.

A few Spellcraft checks: [roll0] +16

Blinkbear
2016-11-21, 09:38 AM
The inner archway itself shows a lingering abjuration aura, the bowl emits necromancy, from inside it comes a conjuration aura, the shards show traces of a now-gone very strong abjuration spell, and the amulet shows a very strong aura of necromancy.

(Lingering = there was an abjuration spell, but it's gone now)

Debatra
2016-11-21, 10:36 AM
"Yeah, thought as much. So who wants to touch the Necromancy amulet that most definitely won't devour your soul?"