PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a character- thoughts?

Foxhound438
2016-08-07, 11:47 PM
So I've basically figured out what I want to do with my next character if I can use UA material, as shown below...

Kyris- Minotaur Eldritch Knight

starting stats: 16/8/14/16/10/8

Kit: shield, chain mail, javelins for the first two levels, and of course your horns. Pick defense fighting style, as it's the only one that benefits you when you're primarily goring things with your horns.

The gimmick: hold a thing prone while also having a shield, and later on some tricks.

other things that play into this: At level 3 I get cantrips, including create bonfire. free past the action to cast it, and I can hold my enemy in the fire for added damage. At level 4 I pick up shield master, so my turn one can be grab thing->bonus action knock prone. The minotaur's horns by all technical measures gives you advantage to shove them, even with a shield, but if my DM decides it doesn't apply there it's honestly fine. Action surge lets me go bonfire-grab-shove in one turn. Level 5 lets me also get a horn attack in there, and multiple attacks at advantage on subsequent turns is pretty good. Level 7 I can pick up enlarge to grapple huge targets, so very few things escape my gimmick now.

Past that, probably eventually get war caster, max out str and int, and probably grab resilient wis at some point.

There ends up being some overlap on action economy, but I feel that for the most part I can pretty effectively fill out my actions and concentration. Extra points if I can get this character all the way to level 19, and I can use storm sphere to replace bonfire once per day, which is slightly better in many areas.

Any thoughts? spell suggestions?

rudy
2016-08-08, 12:04 AM
I would not dump dex that low (8). True if you're in heavy armor it's not going to affect your AC, but it is going to affect you when you have to use a javelin, or make a reflex save. Not would I dump wisdom to 10, because will saves.

If you're certain you like the idea of the minotaur, I'd go for a flat +2 strength from them, and do:

14 14 14 12 10 8 ==> Str 16 Dex 12 Con 14 Int 14 Wis 10 Cha 8. Or switch Dex and Wis.

Maxing out intelligence is a waste of ASIs with Eldritch Warrior. Remember that it only affects save DCs, nothing else. With Eldritch Warrior limited spell selection, it's easy to find plenty of spells that don't require it. You're much, much, much, much better of spending those ASIs on feats or Strength boosts.

My two cents.

Foxhound438
2016-08-08, 12:13 AM
I would not dump dex that low (8). True if you're in heavy armor it's not going to affect your AC, but it is going to affect you when you have to use a javelin, or make a reflex save. Not would I dump wisdom to 10, because will saves.

If you're certain you like the idea of the minotaur, I'd go for a flat +2 strength from them, and do:

14 14 14 12 10 8 ==> Str 16 Dex 10 Con 14 Int 14 Wis 12 Cha 8. Or switch Dex and Wis.

Maxing out intelligence is a waste of ASIs with Eldritch Warrior. Remember that it only affects save DCs, nothing else. With Eldritch Warrior limited spell selection, it's easy to find plenty of spells that don't require it. You're much, much, much, much better of spending those ASIs on feats or Strength boosts.

My two cents.

I'm not so sure a 5% change in a save chance is so big. Especially when my plan does involve using spells that do require spell attacks or saves, while not all enemies will be going straight for dex saves. Wis saves will be eventually covered by resilient wisdom. The biggest perk of picking a fighter subclass is that I get the extra ASI's to take a couple of build relevant feats and still get my most relevant stats maximized.

Thanks for your input though, it was an interesting idea that I hadn't considered.

edit: also, javelins are "thrown", not "ranged", and thus use strength. moreover I plan to stop using the javelins as soon as I pick up cantrips.

rudy
2016-08-08, 12:25 AM
also, javelins are "thrown", not "ranged", and thus use strength

Oops; my bad. For some reason I was thinking they only used strength for damage.