PDA

View Full Version : Creatures naturally sick/in pain?

Xhosant
2016-08-08, 09:03 AM
Ok, let's assume we are evil. Evil enough to use liquid pain for craft xp.

Let us also assume we are are rich and evil enough to use Pain Extractor, a magic item from BoVD that is a hat that is worn by a creature in pain, and after 24 hours gets us a vial of liquid pain.

And, let's assume we are not, in fact, evil enough to inflict the necessary pain. We want something classier, like finding something already sick or in pain and just put the hat on it. For example, an Orthon (baatezu in constant pain) or a Meenlock (tiny aberation from MM2, naturally covered in painful ulcers).

So, what creatures can we use? We want things that naturally hurt or suffer disease, and also have a head. Ease of acquisition and classiness determine the winner! Let's see those ideas!

Telonius
2016-08-08, 01:33 PM
I'd go for newly-engaged couples. Free venue for the wedding, if they're willing to help in some "midwifing research."

Xhosant
2016-08-08, 01:39 PM
Points for originality, but no :smalltongue:

The Viscount
2016-08-08, 01:40 PM
The Fiendwurm (MMII) is in constant pain that is abated only by eating.

The Wrackspawn (MMIV) is in constant pain and can briefly inflict it on others, because it was abducted by cenobites. You can get one with Summon Monster IV.

EDIT: I forgot about the Bladerager Trolls (MMV), which somebody can make by just tinkering with a regular troll.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-08-08, 01:42 PM
Open a midwifery service -- a free hat with every delivery!

Xhosant
2016-08-08, 04:19 PM
Fiendwurms would fit greatly, but their high HD makes them prohibitively expensive to buy or summon, let alone contain :smallfrown:

Wrackspawn is pretty good! Lesser Planar Bind-able, so a step up from Orthon, and being demon rather than devil gives me some extra utility. A high con means good yield, and a low cha easy harvest. Looks like probable winner!

Pointing at the Warbeast template, as it provides a simple source: it can be applied to "any Medium-size or larger animal, beast, or vermin", and with a +1 HD, costs "50 gp/HD for a warbeast of 3 HD or less".

So, if a medium+ animal, beast or vermin with 2 hd or less, a head and a painful existence comes to mind, whoever thought of it gets the cookie!

Bohandas
2016-08-08, 09:20 PM
Lots of undead constantly suffer. Famine spirits come to mind. Does it work with undead?

Âmesang
2016-08-08, 10:57 PM
Is Raistlin Majere available, or did he finally get over that little cough of his? :smalltongue:

Thurbane
2016-08-08, 11:10 PM
The Wrackspawn (MMIV) is in constant pain and can briefly inflict it on others, because it was abducted by cenobites. You can get one with Summon Monster IV.

I've got a whole encounter in my campaign planned around this...

An advanced Wrackspawn posing as a flayed body on a slab of rock, it's skin on the ground is actually a Forsaken shell. The "Cenobites" will be played by Chain Devils and similar fiends.

Ah, the suffering. The sweet, sweet suffering.

Xhosant
2016-08-09, 04:29 AM
Lots of undead constantly suffer. Famine spirits come to mind. Does it work with undead?

Sadly, no. We need a Con!

Is Raistlin Majere available, or did he finally get over that little cough of his? :smalltongue:

He is less than recyclable :P

ShurikVch
2016-08-09, 07:20 AM
Dungeon #136 have Scorned Creature template
Scorned creatures live eternal lives in constant painThey are everliving, don't age (even magically), don't eat or drink (and actually incapable to)
Template can be applied to Animals - one of example creatures is a Horse
We need a Con!Scorned Creature gives +2 Con

Xhosant
2016-08-09, 08:38 AM
Dungeon #136 have Scorned Creature template

I think you won the cookie! Put on a low-hd animal with Warbeast, I can buy them in bulk! Thanks!

Extra Anchovies
2016-08-09, 09:18 AM
Out of curiosity, what context is the Scorned template presented in, if anyone knows?

ExLibrisMortis
2016-08-09, 09:38 AM
Out of curiosity, what context is the Scorned template presented in, if anyone knows?
It's the opposite of the Obah-blessed template. The three thousand obahs are divine spirits, and the templates are granted to especially favoured or hated creatures.

Thurbane
2016-08-09, 10:35 PM
It's the opposite of the Obah-blessed template. The three thousand obahs are divine spirits, and the templates are granted to especially favoured or hated creatures.

Wonder what that poor horse did to deserve its fate. Sounds like someone put their money on the wrong nag, then got all huffy abut it. :smalltongue:

Xhosant
2016-08-10, 03:02 AM
Considering the breeding benefits (no need for food and water, no aging, hardier), probably something their breeders set up :P

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-08-10, 03:34 PM
Wonder what that poor horse did to deserve its fate. Sounds like someone put their money on the wrong nag, then got all huffy abut it. :smalltongue:You know how people still bring up fighter and monk vs wizard, even now that practically everyone should know better by now?

That horse that everyone's beating probably isn't as dead as people think.