PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Rules query for Sun Blade

Daishain
2016-08-08, 12:49 PM
Joining an in progress high level core only campaign with a human sorc/DD gish (essentially he's an arcane paladin of Bahamut with a less rigid code of behavior) who makes his own magic weapons/armor. Regardless, the possibility of making and wielding a Sun Blade caught my attention.

For those not familiar, it is basically a +2 Bastard Sword that hefts like a Short Sword for the purpose of wielding and proficiency requirements. (has other properties as well but those aren't important for the topic)

Now, since it is by default wielded as a light weapon, it doesn't qualify for power attack, a fairly big hit to damage output by comparison to my initial choice of Gsword. But it occurred to me that this changes if the weapon size goes up, and I get to upgrade the base damage dice to boot.

Now, a huge Sun Blade, the largest my character could technically wield by RAW would be 16' long, pure anime style ridiculousness that I want no part of even if my DM was inclined to allow it. The 8' long Large version is still a bit iffy in that regard, but workable if treated as an unusually light and long claymore, especially since its default "sheath" would be a Glove of Storing.

So, the question is, does this work as I think it does? Large sunblade qualifying as a one handed weapon (rather than light) for a medium creature, making it eligible for Power Attack. Wielded as a two handed weapon for aesthetics and the 1.5 multiplier to both Str bonus and PA. Final default damage with PA for my 22 Str character with 9 BAB, 2d8+20.

If it works, it is expensive, but rather effective, and it fits his character fluff to boot.

bahamut920
2016-08-09, 01:48 AM
Regardless, the possibility of making and wielding a Sun Blade caught my attention.
Ah, the Sunblade. I had a bard/rogue/DD back in 3.0 who dual-wielded a sunblade and a minor artifact sword.

So, the question is, does this work as I think it does? Large sunblade qualifying as a one handed weapon (rather than light) for a medium creature, making it eligible for Power Attack. Wielded as a two handed weapon for aesthetics and the 1.5 multiplier to both Str bonus and PA. Final default damage with PA for my 22 Str character with 9 BAB, 2d8+20.

If it works, it is expensive, but rather effective, and it fits his character fluff to boot.
It should, AFAIK. You take a -2 (or was it -4?) penalty to attack rolls when wielding an inapproprately-sized weapon, though, unless you have Powerful Build, strongarm bracers, or are using the enlarge weapon spell to resize your sunblade.

Sayt
2016-08-09, 06:11 AM
Pathfinder allows the use of power attack for light weapons, at no penalty.

That said, the Sun Sword says that it counts as a short sword for "ease of use", not all purposes..

Daishain
2016-08-09, 10:07 AM
Ah, the Sunblade. I had a bard/rogue/DD back in 3.0 who dual-wielded a sunblade and a minor artifact sword.

It should, AFAIK. You take a -2 (or was it -4?) penalty to attack rolls when wielding an inapproprately-sized weapon, though, unless you have Powerful Build, strongarm bracers, or are using the enlarge weapon spell to resize your sunblade.
Core only, so none of those options are available. However, fortunately, its -2 per size difference rather than -4

Well, technically the guy does have enlarge person, so he could relinquish the weapon, grow, and pick it up again, but I'd be more inclined to let the weapon grow with him

Pathfinder allows the use of power attack for light weapons, at no penalty.

That said, the Sun Sword says that it counts as a short sword for "ease of use", not all purposes..
good to know

zyggythorn
2016-08-10, 06:54 AM
Effectively, the Sunblade's hidden enchantment sizes the weapon up about 1 time.
I may or may not have abused this on a Goliath paladin to have a 6d8 GS.

(Sized the base weapon to large, then changed the 'effort' weapon to GS, then sized again with strong arm bracers. Enlarge person and monkey grip were considered)