PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed What options are available for long distance communications in 3.5?

phobiaz
2016-08-08, 01:05 PM
Specifically, I'm playing in a campaign that allows us to create our own businesses, which -depending on level of creativity- can yield large amounts of profit and can greatly impact the world(s) we play in.

I decided to attempt to create an international form of communication (i.e. cell phones), but I'm relatively new to D&D and am trying to figure out the most efficient and profitable way to go about it.

A friend suggested that the best course of action would be finding someone that can cast a permanently heightened, extended width, extended length message spell into the communication device. Any other ideas that we might be overlooking? Thanks in advance for your suggestions. :)

Kaje
2016-08-08, 01:47 PM
Long line of commoners passing notes.

2016-08-08, 01:56 PM
Sending Stones (MIC, IIRC) are gonna be your best bet, probably, although that only allows communication between two specific people; for a more general solution, a custom item allowing you to cast Sending at-will to anybody would cost 81000 or so, although personally I think you could convince your DM to lower the gp cost for a magic item that's essentially a pager.

phobiaz
2016-08-08, 02:20 PM

I can't believe I never considered this! XD Haha.

Sending Stones (MIC, IIRC) are gonna be your best bet, probably, although that only allows communication between two specific people; for a more general solution, a custom item allowing you to cast Sending at-will to anybody would cost 81000 or so, although personally I think you could convince your DM to lower the gp cost for a magic item that's essentially a pager.

Excellent idea! I'll talk to my DM about it. Thanks for the input. :)

Niwrad
2016-08-08, 04:08 PM
Two other useful items that might be useful.

Farspeak amulet (MIC I believe), which functions as a group chat of sorts and allows for conversations between up to five people several times a day.
It's range pretty much extends to anyone on the same plane.

Aspect mirrors (from Complete Scoundrel) are the d&d equivalent of video-calling. Not only do they allow for communication between two mirrors, but they also allow the users to see and hear everything on the other side.

Emperor Tippy
2016-08-08, 05:08 PM
Permanent Telepathic Bonds are the best option. Anywhere on the same plane with no chance of interception and only one (vert short range) method to interrupt.

Troacctid
2016-08-08, 05:18 PM
Whispering Sand lasts for 10 minutes per level and allows long-distance communication conference-call style between a group of people (up to one target per level) as long as each of them is carrying a pound of sand, ash, or dust. Your friendly wizard or druid can cast it a couple times a day to allow everyone to stay in constant contact at the low cost of some 3rd level spell slots (and maybe a lesser metamagic rod of extend spell to give it some extra oomph). Not as permanent as magic items, but it's great if you're on a budget.

Permanent Telepathic Bonds are the best option. Anywhere on the same plane with no chance of interception and only one (vert short range) method to interrupt.
Definitely the most effective method, but also potentially very expensive for large groups, since it's 2500 xp for each two-person pair you wish to bond, unless you have a Dweomerkeeper or some other cheaty way to dodge the xp cost.

Emperor Tippy
2016-08-08, 06:08 PM
Definitely the most effective method, but also potentially very expensive for large groups, since it's 2500 xp for each two-person pair you wish to bond, unless you have a Dweomerkeeper or some other cheaty way to dodge the xp cost.

Just Simulacrum a Solar and it becomes the cheapest method actually.

Even without that, its not actually that expensive if you are willing to accept the risk of a single critical node. You just route all traffic through one individual (I prefer a Rudimentary Intelligence Golem).

phobiaz
2016-08-08, 07:13 PM
Two other useful items that might be useful.

Farspeak amulet (MIC I believe), which functions as a group chat of sorts and allows for conversations between up to five people several times a day.
It's range pretty much extends to anyone on the same plane.

Aspect mirrors (from Complete Scoundrel) are the d&d equivalent of video-calling. Not only do they allow for communication between two mirrors, but they also allow the users to see and hear everything on the other side.

I came across Farspeak amulet earlier. It's a neat item, but is limited to the group. I was looking for something that could could be used to create stationary sophisticated networks throughout the world that would allow major cities and its surrounding towns to contact each other.

Optimally, I'd like for any one person to be able to carry a device that would allow them to contact any other person regardless of their respective locations in the same planes (i.e. a satellite phone). Either way, this system is more for the NPCs of the world, although I'm sure players will make use of it from time to time as well.

I do like the idea of using Aspect Mirrors though for the option of video conference calls. Never knew such a thing existed. Thanks for replying with these suggestions.

MisterKaws
2016-08-08, 07:41 PM

The notes would probably be all burned up when they got to the other side, though. I don't think launching paper through an organic coilgun is a good idea.

Âmesang
2016-08-08, 10:55 PM
Permanent Telepathic Bonds are the best option. Anywhere on the same plane with no chance of interception and only one (very short range) method to interrupt.
For a little bit more you could up it to (Rary's) Interplanar Telepathic Bond to remove that "same plane" restriction. :smallsmile: Planar Handbook, p.104/Spell Compendium, p.125.