PDA

View Full Version : Readied Spells: How do you handle them?

RickAllison
2016-08-08, 01:42 PM
For reference:

When you ready a spell, you cast it as normal but
hold its energy, which you release with your reaction
when the trigger occurs. To be readied, a spell must
have a casting time o f 1 action, and holding onto the
spell’s magic requires concentration (explained in
chapter 10). If your concentration is broken, the spell
dissipates without taking effect. For example, if you are
concentrating on the web spell and ready magic missile,
your web spell ends, and if you take damage before
you release magic missile with your reaction, your
concentration might be broken.

So readied spells according to the PHB take concentration and, if concentration is broken, result in losing the spell. Additoinally, the PHB errata gives us this nice tidbit:

You have until the start
of your next turn to use a readied action.

So the spell is also lost if it isn't used. This thread is to discuss if anyone uses (or is thinking about using) alternate house-rules to make it more useful. Here is mine:

"You can take an action to pull a readied spell back into you. The energy used for the spell is returned to its place of origin."

So this way casters can have a spell prepared without risking wasting the slot unless concentration is broken, but it isn't practical to have the spell prepared constantly and there is still a cost.

Thoughts or other house-rules?

Giant2005
2016-08-08, 01:47 PM
I like the way it is. It is a handicap to help balance out the fact that spellcasters can ready an entire spell action, whereas martial characters can only ready part of their attack action.
You shouldn't soften the penalty for spellcasters without also softening the penalty for martial characters.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-08, 01:53 PM
I like the way it is. It is a handicap to help balance out the fact that spellcasters can ready an entire spell action, whereas martial characters can only ready part of their attack action.
You shouldn't soften the penalty for spellcasters without also softening the penalty for martial characters.

And boom goes the dynamite.

This.

Plus spells are wicked powerful compared to one attack.

Joe the Rat
2016-08-08, 02:09 PM
The die spell is cast. It would be fair to let them reaction-trigger it before their next turn.
If you don't want to let them give it up, let them carry the spell preparation - possibly as an Action - through their turn.
If you find that too nice (are we a heartless bunch of DMs or what?) then you could require a Concentration check to carry it through the turn.

Kryx
2016-08-08, 04:06 PM
If anything I'd let them hold it for up to a minute, but that would be pushing it a bit.

Agreed with Giant. Don't remove the limitation without also removing it for martial. Though I'd recommend not doing it for either.

RickAllison
2016-08-08, 04:23 PM
If anything I'd let them hold it for up to a minute, but that would be pushing it a bit.

Agreed with Giant. Don't remove the limitation without also removing it for martial. Though I'd recommend not doing it for either.

My original idea was just going to let casters devote their actions to continue holding it, but I thought that would be the strong option of the two. Based on feedback, I guess leaving the caster holding his ball of fire is the less powerful option.

Saeviomage
2016-08-09, 01:24 AM
I just let people ready their entire turn instead of applying ridiculous limits to it, and therefore have no need to specifically limit spellcasters. It prevents hit and run tactics from being too overwhelming.

Kryx
2016-08-09, 05:11 AM
Ya, I allow delay as 3.X with the expectation that it isn't used to extend spell durations or any hacky.

That solves this problem imo.