PDA

View Full Version : Low level Cleric build advice needed

Vyria
2016-08-08, 03:04 PM
So I've got a dormant campaign that may revive and I've got a dragonborn tempest cleric on the verge of level four and I've been obsessing over options.

I've got Str 16 / Dex 11 / Con 14 / Wis 14 / Int 11 / Cha 8
Heavy Armor, Warhammer+Shield

I've been the front line guy and spend a lot of time hitting stuff where I don't feel especially effective a caster or a melee. I intend to multi fighter after cleric 4. I was wondering given that role & progression what I should do with my ASI/feat, and whether I should go for Battlemaster.

We're a big group. We've got a barbarian, monk, casting focused life cleric, sorcerer, and warlock. I'm trying to be the one in melee drawing focus with AoE. My damage send reasonable right now but I feel like I don't offer much other battle utility and my lackluster Dex and okay Con seem light for taking so much focus from multiple attackers.

Putting points into Con or Dex seems like a smart thing if I'm going fighter after. I've also eyed Heavy Armor Master because that damage reduction right now across multiple attackers would be a huge percentage of incoming damage but falls off pretty hard on different situations and as I level. My other option is to beef up my Wis and stay pure cleric and double down on the spellcasting the barbarian and monk come into their own. DM has effectively handwaved the need for Warcaster.

So any input or advice is appreciated. A lot of dumb thinking for a character I'm not even currently playing but it's been gnawing at me. There's also the matter I've become the defacto Face of the party since no one else is willing to take initiative in talking situations but I think that's a matter of encouraging them to step up rather than trying to fix my awful Cha and persuasion scores...

Specter
2016-08-08, 03:11 PM
If you're going to focus on AoE, Battlemaster wouldn't help much. If you're going past Fighter 2, the best seems EK to give you two solid reactions (Shield and Absorb Elements). Much better than Heavy Armor Master. The way I see it, either go Fighter 2 for Action Surge and Defense, or 3 for EK, or go Cleric and pump WIS.

Also, as a Dragonborn shouldn't you pump STR instead of DEX?

jaappleton
2016-08-08, 03:12 PM
Please wait on multiclassing into Fighter until you're Cleric 5. That bets you third level spells, which is HUGE. That's when you get Call Lightning.

Also, utilize your spell Spiritual Weapon. It's essentially a weapon attack every turn as a bonus action. And it's Force damage, which is seldom resisted.

I highly suggest at least waiting until you're Cleric 5 and then revisiting the idea of multiclassing. Until then, for level 4, take the +2 to Wisdom.

Mandragola
2016-08-08, 03:24 PM
I agree on getting level 5 before MCing.

A guy in my group MCd his war priest after level 5, switching to EK. To be honest I didn't think it was a great idea at the time as I thought he'd regret his lack of spell progression. But now he's winning me around to be honest. He now has a very respectable front-ranker, who can keep spirit guardians running and has 2-3 decent attacks each turn with duelist. Shield makes hitting him very difficult.

Spirit guardians is kind of key though. I can see the build starting to drop away at higher levels as it becomes less useful. I think he plans to switch back to cleric now, so in a few levels he'll get to add on another D8 once a turn to his damage, while continuing to improve his spells. It will be interesting to see.

To be honest, as a Tempest cleric I'd stay as a cleric for the long haul. Check out destructive wave - my paladin doesn't get that till virtually end game but tempest clerics get it at level 9, damn them. I'm half tempted to build one myself.

Gignere
2016-08-08, 09:47 PM
Stay cleric and don't bother with the fighter MC. Spirit Guardians + Spirit weapons will keep your damage competitive. If you need more offense you can cast another spell or even just swing, more defense just take the dodge action. Might be worth it to nab either magic initiate or multi into an arcane casting class to get booming blade and shield.

MaxBoguely
2016-08-08, 11:20 PM
I agree with the others that your frustrations would be best solved by sticking with your cleric progression - you'll get your divine strike (lvl 8) before you would get your first extra attack from fighter (lvl 9 overall), plus all the mid-level cleric goodies.

Use Aid to buff your hp if you find you don't have the hp, but with your strength you should be able to wear heavy armor, and with a shield you should have enough AC. If you're worried about dex saves, take resilient: dex, which will give you the +1 modifier as well as proficiency in the saves.