PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Caster in a Modern Magepunk society

Spore
2016-08-08, 03:19 PM
Greetings playground,

In a world where casters are persecuted everyone is treated as bad as Warlocks.

So I finally want to play an arcane caster for my first time and what does my DM do? Introduce a high magic world where wizards are highly restricted and anyone casting without permission is a delinquent, to be hunted by the Inquisition. On the other hand, good wizards are needed to maintain the quality of life. Most transportation is made possibly by Eberron style magic spheres. Planes, cars you name it. There is something like the "magic internet" too (to me it is cheesy but I have no say in the matter).

The group so far looks as follows:

J has not decided for a class (or if she wants to play at all) yet. She is a very diverse roleplayer and can likely adapt but will not bend her class choice to fit in better.
U has said in idle chatter that he wants to play a rogue (thief). He is very inventive but has so far opted to play more inelegant classes (Post Apo Biker Thug, Pyromancer, Gladiator Arena Champion, Dwarven Barbarian)
C is utterly confused by the new classes (and the sources being in English) but likes melee characters and I have made him curious about a Bladelock (he loved the Pathfinder Magus for its utility above mundane warriors). He is also terrible at managing large spell lists.
R is very adamant about playing a cleric of Ra (Life and Light domains) and likes pious character concepts.

My primary choices are either Wizard or Warlock. If most of the party plays casters I am at a loss of ideas. What do you think will work best with the current setup and tendencies? Which subclasses and stat arrays look most promising? How would you build up your backstory to avoid harassment of the Inquisition?

Bonus points for the concept actually working without spells, with spells only improving its performance. Obvious supernatural powers count as magic for these purposes (wild shape, invocations or channel divinity).

8wGremlin
2016-08-08, 05:24 PM
What sources do you have available?
Are you using UA modern magic?
What other UA sources are you allowed?
What level, Races etc?

Spore
2016-08-08, 06:12 PM
What sources do you have available?

CRB, DMG and MM currently. If there is some vital info in any extended book I might just show it to him and get it approved.

Are you using UA modern magic?
What other UA sources are you allowed?

Uncertain. Assume everything first party is viable. Do your worst. I think I can manage to adapt a build with the lowest common denominator if any sources are not approved.

What level, Races etc?

Level is unsure but we hinted at level 3. This is low enough to still grow considerably while offering a bit of space, the first feat at 4 while having suffered through most complicated multiclassing shenanigangs.

My race for the casters will probably be Variant Human for the extra feat. (There I will not cherrypick the most OP things but things that help my fluff), Dragonborn would be a cool idea but I feel like my mundane option should be an female Elf for once.

RickAllison
2016-08-08, 06:48 PM
I'll propose two builds that are very different, but both could work well thematically as casters opposing the laws in their own way.

Sorclock, either Sorcerer 3/Warlock 17 or Sorcerer 17/Warlock 3. Either way, you start with Sorc 3 so you can get the glorious Subtle Spell. This is the revolutionary, someone born as an arcane caster who has tired of being treated as a second-class citizen and so seeks out the aid of the warlock patron to rebel. This person would be using the combination of Subtle Metamagic with all their spells to cause mayhem as it doesn't appear to be coming from them. This is the PC who inspires fellow arcane mages to rise up and bring down their oppressors.

The other build rebels much more subtly. A Theurgist (UA: The Faithful, Knowledge domain) of a god/dess of magic, this wizard seeks to preserve free arcane magic by hiding and protecting other mages. Using a combination of obscuring spells, enchantments, and divine guidance, this wizard uses her wits to overcome the authorities. As far as she is concerned, no one should know that she was there, or that the caster she is protecting was present either. If the Theurge tradition is not permitted, this concept also works well with an Enchantment wizard. Hypnotic Gaze: "You don't need to worry about him, another guard will catch him. You would rather be right here, right now, looking at me. Surely I'm more enticing than some convict, no?" Major spells to pick up with this are Nystul's Magic Aura, Modify Memory, Detect Thoughts, and Fog Cloud. Get in, get out.

8wGremlin
2016-08-08, 07:14 PM
Simple basic one VHuman - Cleric of Life Domain for 1st level, then take sorcerer: shadow/favoured soul.
(https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/02_UA_Underdark_Characters.pdf)
shadow is good if your allowed to take it, makes you a tough son of a bitch.

or

Favoured Soul:
(http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/modifying-classes)

Take Warcaster as your first feat, and then when you are sorcerer take booming blade as your cantrip, as well as a ranged attack, and shield as your 1st level.

with life cleric you get to walk around in heavy armour and use booming blade on for extra damage and also opportunity attacks.

once you start to get metamagic you can twin cast spells, and subtle magic if you want to hide it.

Ok - Here is an unusual one.

Take Gnome: Svirfneblin (deep) - you're a small kid, or a miner from below?

Wizard: Theurge (new Unearthed Arcane) tradition. (http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA%20Non-Divine%20Faithful%20SFG.pdf)

take Life - this will make you appear to be a cleric
You get to take the following as wizard spells using your INT:
@1st Bless, and Cure Light Wounds
@2nd Lesser Restoration, and Spiritual weapon

Take Svirfneblin Magic as your feat at 4th level, so you now have nondetection at will, plus some others

Make sure you have Deception skill maxed.

Basically, you pretend to be a cleric of life, without the strength for wearing armour (str is dump stat) you were not strong enough to mine and thus came to the surface to seek training in a new profession

Spore
2016-08-09, 11:27 AM
I'll propose two builds that are very different, but both could work well thematically as casters opposing the laws in their own way.

Sorclock, either Sorcerer 3/Warlock 17 or Sorcerer 17/Warlock 3. Either way, you start with Sorc 3 so you can get the glorious Subtle Spell. This is the revolutionary, someone born as an arcane caster who has tired of being treated as a second-class citizen and so seeks out the aid of the warlock patron to rebel. This person would be using the combination of Subtle Metamagic with all their spells to cause mayhem as it doesn't appear to be coming from them. This is the PC who inspires fellow arcane mages to rise up and bring down their oppressors.

I get the Sorc 3/Warlock 17 but what does the Sorc 17/Warlock 3 that the Sorcerer 20 doesn't do (besides the fact that this campaign will not last until 20)?

The other build rebels much more subtly. A Theurgist (UA: The Faithful, Knowledge domain) of a god/dess of magic, this wizard seeks to preserve free arcane magic by hiding and protecting other mages. Using a combination of obscuring spells, enchantments, and divine guidance, this wizard uses her wits to overcome the authorities. As far as she is concerned, no one should know that she was there, or that the caster she is protecting was present either. If the Theurge tradition is not permitted, this concept also works well with an Enchantment wizard. Hypnotic Gaze: "You don't need to worry about him, another guard will catch him. You would rather be right here, right now, looking at me. Surely I'm more enticing than some convict, no?" Major spells to pick up with this are Nystul's Magic Aura, Modify Memory, Detect Thoughts, and Fog Cloud. Get in, get out.

Oh, I like this idea. I just hope it doesn't interfere with the actual cleric's choices and playstyle (because for all I know he might be more loyal to the Inquisition).

Simple basic one VHuman - Cleric of Life Domain for 1st level, then take sorcerer: shadow/favoured soul.
(https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/02_UA_Underdark_Characters.pdf)
shadow is good if your allowed to take it, makes you a tough son of a bitch.

Why not pure Shadow Sorcerer then? Divine magic is similarly regulated if not as persecuted. Abuse can still lead to trouble.

or

Favoured Soul:
(http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/modifying-classes)

Take Warcaster as your first feat, and then when you are sorcerer take booming blade as your cantrip, as well as a ranged attack, and shield as your 1st level.

with life cleric you get to walk around in heavy armour and use booming blade on for extra damage and also opportunity attacks.

once you start to get metamagic you can twin cast spells, and subtle magic if you want to hide it.

This just feels not very arcane at all. I primarily wanted an arcane option. ;)

Ok - Here is an unusual one.

Take Gnome: Svirfneblin (deep) [snip]

Uh, I don't want to play a Svirfneblin.

My ideas so far:

Noble Variant Human Diviner Wizard 3, Str 10, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 14, taking Lucky as his first level feat. Taking social and knowledge focussed skill proficiencies.

Cedric is the son of a rich trader affiliated with the Blackhawk Trading Corporation. His father knew that the raw power of the black dragon owning the trading company would protect his adopted son's magical talent and lead to employment for lifetime and a relative security from the inquisition of the Eternal Flame. Cedric is forced to wear a stigma, a mystical device made to log all of his supernatural activities. No one but the inqusition knows that else it knows about you but if you wear it and do not cause trouble you are golden. People will fear you if you show it openly.

It's Cedric's job to maintain a good watch on the trading routes as they are often ambushed in the dangerous wilderness between the city known as megaplexes. This job requires him to travel much as his magical abilities to scry are limited still. Is the stigma holding him back? Are there magical secrets offering a greater understanding of the weave?

Street Urchin Variant Human Dark One Warlock 3 with the Pact of the Blade, Str 10, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 16, taking Magic Initiate: Guidance, Spare the Dying and Bless. Focussing on subterfuge, perception and insight. Maybe survival if I can squeeze it in.

Selana had always the same dream: A woman wreathed in flames calling her name. Living in the slums of the city, surrounded by a high wall and crowded with monsters and a tribal society where the strongest rules her first two centuries of life where focussed on surviving. After loosing her bigger sister to a monster attack, a light enveloped her and saved her, guiding her the way out of the slums. Months of travelling lead her to the spiritual center of the Eternal Flame. She then quickly knew that the calling she heard in her dreams was actually the voice of the Eternal Flame, calling her towards her duty as a Paladin. Full of doubt, she hesitated for months. People with impure hearts die in the trial to become a Paladin. Doubt became fear, realized into nightmares. Nightmares in which a dark voice whispered promises. warnings. guidance.

"Up and coming Paladins are not welcome by the Inquisition. Their pure and righteous hearts save the people from the reign of tyranny they want to invoke in the hearts of man. But fear not, dear child, you need not become one of them. You will become stronger. Able to save your own hide. Able to destroy them all. Able to free yourself from the oppression. I will grant you those powers."

JeffreyGator
2016-08-09, 11:40 AM
If you can get your GM to allow SCAG options....

level 1 arcana cleric
rest shadow monk

gives some magical feel but also a fair amount of non-magical stuff for your world

For magic you have 3 cleric cantrips, 2 wizard cantrips cast using wisdom (firebolt and Green Flame Blade)
and minor illusion pretty limited spells but by level 7 you teleporting for free in darkness.

Joe the Rat
2016-08-09, 12:09 PM
A World where caster's are reviled, yet necessary to the functioning of modern society? Your DM works in IT, doesn't he? I kid. This sounds more like City of Dead Sorcerer.

What's the rigmarole for getting approved by the Red Cloaks Inquisition? Or are they supposed to be the Big Bad of the setting?

War3 on a sorc is for two short-rest-refreshing 2nd level slots (good for low level spells, or burning for sorcery points), agonizing repelling eldritch blast (or something boring like devil's sight and mask of many faces), and you choice of Moar Cantrips, a summonable weapon, or a kick-ass familiar that is 50% likely to grans spell resistance, and probably be invisible.

Your best bet for avoiding censure for casting spells is to not appear to be casting spells, and not to look like a spellcaster. Subtle Sorcery is an option. Warlocks don't kit out like most casters, so at casual glance you'll look more ruffian in your leather jacket full of knives. For either, I'd suggest a crystal arcane focus - it's easiest to disguise as jewelry. If you have more modern options, pick one that can pass at casual glance as "magic tech, but not caster focus."

Another option to consider is Bard. If you can establish as a performer (Street performer seems right for an x-punk character), then you have an excuse for carrying that flute/trumpet/quickstand portable mixer around. They also have a fair number of Verbal-only spells. Those tend not to be too flashy (for bystanders), though the enchantments will leave the target aware they've been ensorcelled. You also have Bardic Inspiration (and cutting words for Lore) to fall back on for "Contributing without spellcasting" when the situation arises.

RickAllison
2016-08-09, 12:41 PM
Warlock 3 for the Sorcerer has more to do with the fear of being on the run. A sorcerer who can't get his full rest slowly withers, but the militant warlock can grab a quick rest and be back in action.

TheProfessor85
2016-08-09, 01:40 PM
If they play mostly casters, go ranger, spell-less variant even. When the arcane net fails to find someone, possibly because they went off the grid. Be the one class that can track them in the "real world." Both good at range and melee for fights. You could even be an urban ranger. Heck you could even angle in a hacker tracker thing if you talk to the DM about it.

TheProfessor85
2016-08-09, 01:42 PM
You could also do a good roleplay tinker gnome wizard, who is emulating spell via trinkets and gadgets

Spore
2016-08-09, 02:44 PM
If you can get your GM to allow SCAG options....

level 1 arcana cleric
rest shadow monk

gives some magical feel but also a fair amount of non-magical stuff for your world

For magic you have 3 cleric cantrips, 2 wizard cantrips cast using wisdom (firebolt and Green Flame Blade)
and minor illusion pretty limited spells but by level 7 you teleporting for free in darkness.

Monks are indeed a viable option although the DM considers elemental punches and similar magic as well.

A World where caster's are reviled, yet necessary to the functioning of modern society? Your DM works in IT, doesn't he? I kid. This sounds more like City of Dead Sorcerer.

Well,he is an electrician. Maybe it's a thing about people not respecting his work. ;)

What's the rigmarole for getting approved by the Red Cloaks Inquisition? Or are they supposed to be the Big Bad of the setting?

The usual things. You are automatically approved if you wear your stigma. (Or STIGMAROLE? okay, okay...) However if you do something bad (or it looks like it) they have any right to execute you on the spot. In the setting's past (according to the backstory of our Pathfinder's Magus) they burned down a whole town because there was something about black magic. With the elders, the kids, everyone.

War3 on a sorc is for two short-rest-refreshing 2nd level slots (good for low level spells, or burning for sorcery points), agonizing repelling eldritch blast (or something boring like devil's sight and mask of many faces), and you choice of Moar Cantrips, a summonable weapon, or a kick-ass familiar that is 50% likely to grans spell resistance, and probably be invisible.

So basically strengthening the foundation (low level spells, options to attack without magic) instead of climbing towards ultimate power (high spell levels). I get it now.

Your best bet for avoiding censure for casting spells is to not appear to be casting spells, and not to look like a spellcaster. Subtle Sorcery is an option. Warlocks don't kit out like most casters, so at casual glance you'll look more ruffian in your leather jacket full of knives. For either, I'd suggest a crystal arcane focus - it's easiest to disguise as jewelry. If you have more modern options, pick one that can pass at casual glance as "magic tech, but not caster focus."

Yes, but only if I do not wear a tracker device already.

Another option to consider is Bard. If you can establish as a performer (Street performer seems right for an x-punk character), then you have an excuse for carrying that flute/trumpet/quickstand portable mixer around. They also have a fair number of Verbal-only spells. Those tend not to be too flashy (for bystanders), though the enchantments will leave the target aware they've been ensorcelled. You also have Bardic Inspiration (and cutting words for Lore) to fall back on for "Contributing without spellcasting" when the situation arises.

I am still a tad bit bitter about Bards. Another DM stopped his campaign one session after introducing my new bard PC. I couldn't push myself to play one right now. Also while bards ARE flexible the class lacks the focus I want from it.

Warlock 3 for the Sorcerer has more to do with the fear of being on the run. A sorcerer who can't get his full rest slowly withers, but the militant warlock can grab a quick rest and be back in action.

Thank you for clarifying. This is still my first 5e character.

If they play mostly casters, go ranger, spell-less variant even. When the arcane net fails to find someone, possibly because they went off the grid. Be the one class that can track them in the "real world." Both good at range and melee for fights. You could even be an urban ranger. Heck you could even angle in a hacker tracker thing if you talk to the DM about it.

Eyup. I am still deciding on either a Inquisition employed mage slayer or a warrior scout that tries to protect her wilderness village from inquisitory influence.

You could also do a good roleplay tinker gnome wizard, who is emulating spell via trinkets and gadgets

That is not possible. Magic POWERS trinkets and gadgets. You still cast magic to power magic trinkets and gadgets with spheres powered by elementals. If you were to play an unmagical crafter like a blacksmith or a tinkerer I think you would need to work out a set of rules as I don't know of any. Even Artificers are Wizard kits, using magic.

8wGremlin
2016-08-09, 09:40 PM
Your opening post states:

casters are persecuted everyone is treated as bad as Warlocks
Wizards are highly restricted and anyone casting without permission is a delinquent, to be hunted by the Inquisition
Good wizards are needed to maintain the quality of life
Most transportation is made possibly by Eberron style magic spheres. Planes, cars you name it
There is something like the "magic internet" too.

And you ask:
How would you build up your backstory to avoid harassment of the Inquisition?

Why not write up a Guild Sanctioned Wizard, Be part of the Inquisition, an undercover agent, an arcane gifted 'good' wizard. one that protects and serves.

You could multiclass if you wished, taking levels of rogue or fighter.

Play a divination mage focusing on rooting out arcane corruption.
Have a badge and a writ of office.

Take either: Urban Bounty Hunter (SCAG) or City Watch: Investigator (SCAG)
Take Divination for your School
For your Feat take anything that you feel is appropriate.

Spore
2016-08-09, 10:36 PM
Why not write up a Guild Sanctioned Wizard, Be part of the Inquisition, an undercover agent, an arcane gifted 'good' wizard. one that protects and serves.

That is the main jist. the group will decide if they want to be rebels or inquisition agents.

RickAllison
2016-08-09, 11:07 PM
That is the main jist. the group will decide if they want to be rebels or inquisition agents.

Or inquisition agents who are really rebels. Or rebels who are really inquisition agents.

Actually it would be immensely entertaining for the DM to organize it with every player secretly so each is an inquisition agent trying to catch rebel mages, but each just happened to meet up while oblivious to one another. Of course at this point, they might as well be playing Paranoia :smallbiggrin:

Spore
2016-08-22, 10:59 PM
Big update:

1) We are not rebellous but we have decided to join the good fight against the magical oppressors. It has been made obvious that the DM wants any bigger faction to try and control the vital ressource that is magic casters. Corporations, crime lords, "rebel leaders", everyone!

2) We have a Barbarian, Thief Rogue, Vengeance Paladin and Cleric (most likely Life or Light Domain) right now. I myself am toying with a Monk or Ki Warrior Barbarian. As well as Fey or Fiend Warlock or Abjuration Wizard or Sorcerer. Needless to be said I am utterly confused.

3) Warlock/Paladin combos get shut down hard by the DM. As are Sorc/Warlock or any class combos that require the chosen one be a chosen one twice.

4) We start in the slums of the city, with the need to cooperate for a reason. The Paladin leads the militia and the rogue sells stolen IDs while the cleric is a dubious one with good motives.