PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Custom staff creation

Kane0
2016-08-08, 04:15 PM
My character is researching in order to craft a staff capable of holding wands, scrolls and metamagic rods so i dont need a half dozen arms or a quickdraw strategy to have them on hand when i need them.
Assuming there would be three versions of it (lesser, regular, greater) with the usual 10 charges (spend 1 for each item tou want to use that its holding) what would be a reasonable cost for such an staff?
At the moment the lesser will have 3 slots in it, the regular 6 and the greater 9. Scrolls and wands take up one slot each, metamagic rods two.

Gildedragon
2016-08-08, 05:09 PM
well there's a few ways one can go about this:
1) Wand Bracer for your wands
2) Wand Bracelet for the Metamagic Rods
3) fold in the metamagic rods' effects into one another
4) add a wand chamber to a metamagic rod
5) add 2 wand chambers to a staff (3 if you count the bow part of an elvencraft bow as a separate weapon) + fold in rod effects to it

Kane0
2016-08-08, 05:15 PM
Any way for me to hold more than one metamagic rod without adding more arms or losing the ability to threaten in melee?

Gildedragon
2016-08-08, 09:32 PM
Also: There's the Rod of Many Wands that might fit your idea

As to how to have more than 1 at a time...
on something two handed sized, like a quarterstaff, I personally, would let you have 2

You could also go for having Quick-Draw as a feat (or see if your DM is game at letting them have the weapon augment crystal (return, least) attached to them for that purpose)

Kane0
2016-08-08, 11:01 PM
Sadly they're all 3.5 solutions so far, so getting them into my PF game would require conversion anyways. If I have to go through that trouble I'd rather just invent something that fills my needs exactly. The staff concept would allow me to keep a hand free to cast, a weapon on hand to threaten and make AoOs if need be and elegantly solve my storage issues, allowing me a cake to both have and eat.

So far the DM has okayed the concept at a cost of 10k gp for the lesser, 40k gp for the regular and 90k for the greater. Being PF I can easily recharge them with 3rd/6th/9th level slots when they start running low and put whatever combination of wands, rods and scrolls I need to be used when I like. Plus the character fancies himself a bit of a designer and wants to have a signature item as well as spells to make a name for himself.

Does any of that sound out of place?