PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Ravenloft Guardian of Sorrow

hikite
2016-08-08, 07:41 PM
Any recommendations for The Guardian of Sorrow from Ravenloft for a 3.5 campaign?

hikite
2016-08-20, 05:36 PM
I decided on this for the Guardian of Sorrow

Guardian of Sorrow
Shadow that does will damage on a successful hit. It has Epic/50 DR until pulsing heart is destroyed. Heart has a wall of force allowing access from the stairs, but not from flight or projectiles. The top 20' below the wall of force is filled with an anti-magic area. Heart has AC 10 10HP.

my group is level 11, and are using all the books.

The shadow will use Telekenesis to hurl halberds at party; and the steps will spin, rotate, raise, lower. This is to help bring out the living tower and poltergeist personality in this area.

This is much harder than written in IE module

I am trying for the equivalent of a CR 12 fight.

Thurbane
2016-08-20, 09:58 PM
I'm not very familiar with Ravenloft 3.X stuff - what book etc. is Guardian of Sorrow from?

...or are you trying to recreate the monster from the 1E module in your game?

If it's the latter, the monster sounds like an amalgam of Animated Object (SRD), Blade Spirit (Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil) and maybe with a little Poltergeist (Tome of Horrors Revised) thrown in?

I believe it's supposed to be a living tower that attacks the party with animated halberds, while the tower moves and convulses to create difficult terrain and other effects?

I just checked the 3.5 hardcover version of the adventure, it it completely changes the encounter at K20 from the original.

hikite
2016-08-21, 06:08 AM
trying to recreate the 1E monster

You are correct, about the living tower description. That makes me realize that I chose incorrectly for that encounter.

Thanks I would hate to have taken out that personality of the castle.