PDA

View Full Version : [Homebrew] D&D 5e Cantrip - Wind Slashing Sword (Longsword with DEX)

DragonSorcererX
2016-08-08, 08:28 PM
I've come with the idea for this cantrip after doing some thinking, here are some of the reasons for why I made it:
- High Elves are experts in longswords.
- High Elves receive a free cantrip at first level.
- Rapiers aren't half as cool as longswords.
- Dex characters need a d8 weapon with more style.
- The katana needs to be even more overrated.

The cantrip:

Wind Slashing Blade
Transmutation cantrip

Casting Time: 1 bonus action.
Range: Touch.
Components: V,S,M (one or two longswords).
Duration: Special.

The metal of one or two longswords you are holding is imbued with arcane power making the sword more balanced and light. Until the spell ends you can use your Dexterity instead of Strength for the attack and damage rolls of melee attacks using that weapon while wielding it with only one hand. The spell ends if the longswords have been more than 100 feet away from you for at least 24 hours, if you die, or if you cast it again, you can also use a bonus action to end the spell.

What do you guys think?

Cybren
2016-08-08, 08:32 PM
The wording seems a bit off, as it calls out one or two longswords you are holding, but as a V,S,M spell only people with warcaster could do it on two, and since it lasts forever, it doesn't actually add much to be able to do both at once. Speaking of lasting forever- why? Shillelagh is the most similar cantrip, and it lasts 1 minute. I'd also probably let them use dex when using it with two hands. It doesn't have the finesse property, so it's not like it allows any unforeseen synergies.

DragonSorcererX
2016-08-08, 08:34 PM
The wording seems a bit off, as it calls out one or two longswords you are holding, but as a V,S,M spell only people with warcaster could do it on two, and since it lasts forever, it doesn't actually add much to be able to do both at once. Speaking of lasting forever- why? Shillelagh is the most similar cantrip, and it lasts 1 minute. I'd also probably let them use dex when using it with two hands. It doesn't have the finesse property, so it's not like it allows any unforeseen synergies.

The longswords are the material components.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-08, 08:46 PM
Strength and Dexterity go hand in hand. I think any weapon should be usable via dex (see jackie chan)

If you use dex the weapon can't be considered heavy. However it can't be a thrown weapon unless it is light. Or something like that.

DragonSorcererX
2016-08-08, 08:51 PM
Strength and Dexterity go hand in hand. I think any weapon should be usable via dex (see jackie chan)

If you use dex the weapon can't be considered heavy. However it can't be a thrown weapon unless it is light. Or something like that.

I think that Jackie Chan has Tavern Brawler and can use any Improvised Weapon (that can be anything) as a Monk Weapon.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-08, 09:01 PM
I think that Jackie Chan has Tavern Brawler and can use any Improvised Weapon (that can be anything) as a Monk Weapon.

Doesn't account for using heavy weapons as finesse, the base rules allow me to make Jackie Chan. If your base rules doesn't accommodate for Jackie Chan then there is no help for the system. :smalltongue:

DragonSorcererX
2016-08-08, 09:03 PM
Doesn't account for using heavy weapons as finesse, the base rules allow me to make Jackie Chan. If your base rules doesn't accommodate for Jackie Chan then there is no help for the system. :smalltongue:

Jackie Chan is part of his own Monk Archetype called Jackie Chan...

R.Shackleford
2016-08-08, 09:06 PM
Jackie Chan is part of his own Monk Archetype called Jackie Chan...

Nah, Jackie Chan is his own class, 5e doesn't have a Jackie Chan class.

The monk is not made well enough to be Jackie Chan.

Wayback_Wind
2016-08-08, 09:27 PM
My advice would be to simply copy Shillelagh's effect and duration conditions, specifying Dexterity as the attack modifier instead of your spellcasting ability.

gkathellar
2016-08-10, 05:44 AM

Really, fast-twitch muscle is fast-twitch muscle. The distinction between strength and dexterity is gamist and weird, since you need plenty of both to use any weapon (or bare hands) effectively. If you're worried about this kind of thing, it's probably more realistic to just merge the two.

Actually, I had an old set of 3.5 alternate ability scores for just that purpose - I think I could refit them. I'll get on that.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-10, 07:07 AM
Really, fast-twitch muscle is fast-twitch muscle. The distinction between strength and dexterity is gamist and weird, since you need plenty of both to use any weapon (or bare hands) effectively. If you're worried about this kind of thing, it's probably more realistic to just merge the two.

Actually, I had an old set of 3.5 alternate ability scores for just that purpose - I think I could refit them. I'll get on that.

Call a gymnast, someone that would be chalk full of Dexterity in D&D, that they don't have high strength and he or she would snap you like a twig.

I like the Fortitude (Con), Reflex (Str/Dex), and Will (int/wis/cha) break down of ability score saves.

Though for ability scores I could see Constitution, Charisma, Physical, and Mental.