PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder How many weapons do you carry?

Iamacup
2016-08-09, 12:04 AM
Hello playground,
What heavy metal are you running around with?

Playing a half orc lvl 3 Bloodrager right now, running around with a ranseur (for reach), sling (for range), short sword (eating knife) and main weapon is a cold iron falchion. Wearing studded leather and a kilt (more for fluff) once i have a few more levels under my belt it will just be the kilt and a bit of burly sweat.

Wondering if i should get a weapon and shield option, maybe a flail and large shield incase i get to need a bit more AC at one time or another. Thoughts?

Regards,

Cup

Der_DWSage
2016-08-09, 12:13 AM
I almost never go for a shield, unless I'm making a character that fights only with a shield. That said, my typical 'Prepared warrior' loadout includes...

The Primary Weapon.
A backup Ranged/Melee weapon, whatever the primary weapon isn't.
A set of three daggers-one Silver, one Cold Iron, one just tucked into a boot in case of dire situations. I explicitly prefer daggers because they're 1)Cheap, even at 1st level, and 2)Capable of being used by anyone, so even if the Wizard needs to grab one to stop the monster from regenerating, he can do so.
40 units or so of ammunition.

But I will say this:Only enchant your primary weapon, unless you enjoy going broke fast. Pick whichever weapon you want to focus on soon, and get that one enchanted. Maybe get your sling (I'd prefer a bow, but I'm assuming you like the fact that it's strength to damage) enchanted once you have more than 10x the cost of it handy.

Iamacup
2016-08-09, 12:37 AM
Hmmm enchant the sling, hadn't thought of that, i thought about a + strength bow, however they break quite easily and they are are pricey!

VenomTongue
2016-08-09, 12:57 AM
I am currently running a level 3 Wild Elf Urban Ranger (D&D 3.5) I am currently carrying a Masterwork Composite Longbow (+2 Str), Mwk Longsword, Mwk Kukri, a Flail, and a silver short sword.
My ranger has a thing about lycanthropes.

Krazzman
2016-08-09, 08:56 AM
My Paladin currently has (due to loot and not being able to sell it mostly and not having the time to enchant it either):
+1 Mithral Falchion (bonded weapon)
+1 Greataxe of Defending
Trident of Warning(+2 Trident + special property)
MW Composite 4 Longbow

I am currently thinking about grabbing a shield too since I have a onehanded weapon already available (and it would be a good way to rise his meager AC quite quickly).

Pugwampy
2016-08-09, 09:33 AM
I think you need another ranged weapon like a composite longbow .

You already have shortsword so I suppose getting a shield for that is a good idea . You could use a nice bashing weapon perhaps swop out your eating knife for a mace to wack dem undead boners .

How easy do weapons break in your game ?

For me my standard Orc Barbarian hero would have a couple two handed melee weapons and two ranged weapons . If I found a really nice magical single weapon only then would I use a shield .

Psyren
2016-08-09, 09:43 AM
All my martial classes tend to have the following:

- Primary weapon (or pair of weapons if dual-wielding.)
- Secondary weapon (Ranged unless playing an archer, in which case ranged is primary and melee become second.)
- Adamantine Dagger (for utility - you can cut through walls - and getting swallowed.)

Generally only the first two get enchantments, and the second one usually stops at +4 or so with no frills.

Any further cash is usually better spent on other slots.

Âmesang
2016-08-09, 11:26 AM
3rd Ed. Human Sorceress 14/Archmage 2 (with Master of Poisons)
+1 oerthblooded dagger sheathed in a silver-plated scabbard with jet cabochons and poisoned with black lotus extract; mainly just for show, or the occasional attack of opportunity.

5th Ed. Dwarf Cleric 9 of Gorm Gulthyn
Silvered warhammer, crossbow with silvered bolts, and a +2 greatsword that nobody else wanted or needed; I mainly focused on hammer and shield since that's what the figurine held, but a magic sword is a magic sword and it does allow for a different form of weapon damages, which leads to…

Pathfinder Human Ranger 3
Masterwork cold iron greatsword, two masterwork silver daggers, darkwood composite longbow (+4 Strength rating), and her fists (Improved Unarmed Strike/Improved Grapple). Figured it's just enough to cover her bases; she also carries a crowbar and a felling/woodcutter's axe (custom-made tool).
FELLING AXE
Aura no aura (non-magical); CL —; Price 6 gp; Weight 6 lb.
DESCRIPTIONThe felling axe is the perfect tool for cutting down trees, chopping firewood, and breaking open wooden doors or chests. If a felling axe is used in combat, treat it as a two-handed improvised weapon that deals slashing damage equal to that of a battleaxe of its size; against the aforementioned objects attacks deal double their normal damage and may ignore the object's hardness.

BWR
2016-08-09, 12:22 PM
Depends on character and setting and situation.

Most of my OA characters have either a daisho or just the wakizashi 99% of the time because they are nobles in a time of peace. Arcane casters usually have two, one melee and one ranged.
Others have 2-3. One ranged, one primary melee and one backup, often a different type to account for damage type DR.

Jormengand
2016-08-09, 06:18 PM
One of my characters is, at fifth level, carrying a sickle, a light mace, a dagger, a light crossbow, a longspear, and an indeterminate number of slings, and she has Vow of Peace so she therefore can't use any as actual weapons against most creatures. One of my characters has carried a small armoury about with him, just in case. But generally, I limit myself to about two or three.

Eldariel
2016-08-09, 06:38 PM
Level 1, generally at least melee, reach and ranged weapon, preferably one bludgeoning, one piercing and one slashing (or at least one way to do all types of damage; sling, bow and sword is an easy combo but having a mace or a flail to go with the guisarme is generally not amiss). Later on, magic melee, magic range and a few masterwork counterparts in extradimensional storage in case one gets wrecked. Aside from builds that actively use multiples of course; that's a different matter.

Gildedragon
2016-08-09, 08:10 PM
Three is my usual number:
An elvencraft longbow
a (feycraft) whip or dagger whip OR a guisarme OR a spiked chain/dragon chain
a sizing morphing +1 riverine or adamantine weapon

This covers most of the damage bases and gives good attack and defense options

TheYell
2016-08-10, 02:03 AM
My monk paladin has a longsword and unarmed strikes. We have a gunslinger and a wizard for ranged stuff. My cohort is going to have a longsword and a composite longbow to get through various types of damage resistance with varied ammo.

- Adamantine Dagger (for utility - you can cut through walls - and getting swallowed.)

wow.