PDA

View Full Version : Hey, what does that say? (BOOOM)

Icewalker
2007-07-05, 09:03 AM
This is a fun little item I came up with which I may or may not have posted here before...can't remember. Nor can I remember what I called it if I did.

Nonetheless:

I'm not sure about a name actually, but let me describe the effects:

It is a quill, for writing. There are two black streaks running down the side that appear to be slight indents. The end has a small bronze tip.

When you twist the tip, the indents change to purple, twist again and it becomes blue, a third time and it is back to black. Each color does something different:

When set on black, the pen writes normally, and never runs out of ink.
When set on purple, the pen writes in explosive runes. After each casting, the purple lowers down along the sides of the quill. It can cast explosive runes 3 times per day, then the ink refills itself.
The blue color writes in a spell of my own creation, somewhat similar to explosive runes: Feedback runes. This can also be cast three times per day.

[hr]

Feedback Runes
Abjuration [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Sor/Wiz 3, Bard 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One touched object weighting no more than 10 lb.
Duration: Permanent until discharged (D)
Saving Throw: Will (partial)
Spell Resistance: Yes

You write out the enchanting runes upon a book, map, scroll, or similar object. The runes, when read, attack the mind of the reader. If the reader is a spellcaster, then two spells are selected and burned at random as selected from the list below on a d% roll.

Feedback Chart
{table=head]Roll|Spell Level Targeted|Int Damage Dealt (failed save)

1-20|
0|
1d3

21-38|
1|
1d4

39-54|
2|
1d6

55-68|
3|
2d4

69-80|
4|
2d6

81-90|
5|
3d4

91-94|
6|
2d8

95-97|
7|
4d4

98-99|
8|
5d4

100|
9|
4d6[/table]

The chart has the int damage that would be dealt on a failed save. If the spell level rolled is higher than the readers maximum spell level, then take their highest instead. The damage dealt is halved on a successful will save.

If the reader is not a spellcaster, they take 2d4 int damage. This damage is halved on a successful will save.

The target then gets a second Will save, or forgets what the runes said. After read, they disappear off the page.
[hr]

One problem I have with items is I never know how to set prices.

So, what do you think?

keyboardboy101
2007-07-06, 10:55 PM
A couple things.
1) What type of damage does it do to spellcasters? Int damage is seems like it might be better because you say that it burns the spells in the mind (and remember that 18 physical damage to a 17th level wizard is nothing, but 18 int damage can be devastating (probably too powerful for such a low level spell). If you meant physical, I like it.

2) 0 level spells deal 4 damage on a failed save?

3) Can feedback runes be detected or disabled like explosive runes?

4) In terms of the price. By the rules in the DMG, it should be around 31,500 gp, not counting the unlimited ink produced by the pen. To me that seems a little pricy and I'd probably make the cost around 25-27,000. CL: 7

TARINunit9
2007-07-08, 12:20 AM
Here's a good name: Auto-rune scribe quill

Icewalker
2007-07-08, 01:49 AM
It's physical damage. Spell burning deals 4 damage per spell level, except that level 0 spells deal 4 as well.

Feedback runes are supposed to be otherwise identical to Explosive Runes in every way, cept they burn your mind instead of explode.

I suggest checking out the whole Feedback ability, there's a link in my sig. It contains 3 probably completely offbalance weapon enchantments, and a couple spells, currently Feedback Ray (lesser, normal, greater)