PDA

View Full Version : Is There A Way To Rust-Proof Something?

Ninjattack
2016-08-09, 08:36 AM
It finally occurred to me that rust monsters might be a little more than a hazard for my Warforged Barbarian.

Does anyone know if it's possible to rust-proof something in game, or have any ideas on how one might go about that?

Necroticplague
2016-08-09, 08:40 AM
Yes, there are. Unfortunately, none of them help your character, because that's a racial feature, and not an item.

Inevitability
2016-08-09, 08:41 AM
A simple solution, get a bunch of nonmetal throwing weapons and use them from afar if you encounter a rust monster.

Ninjattack
2016-08-09, 09:07 AM
Yes, there are. Unfortunately, none of them help your character, because that's a racial feature, and not an item.

Out of curiosity what is the item-rust proofing method you're suggesting?

Necroticplague
2016-08-09, 09:22 AM
Out of curiosity what is the item-rust proofing method you're suggesting?

I wasn't suggesting any, because the ones I know aren't applicable to your situation. However, two methods of rust-proofing items I know of are the Durable or Blueshine armor enchantments. IIRC, there's also a Dwarvencraft armor template that does so, and the Everbright weapon enchantment.

EDIT: wait, I actually found something that could help you! Gaunlet of Rust specifically protects both the wearer and their equipment from rust effects.

Ninjattack
2016-08-09, 09:24 AM
EDIT: wait, I actually found something that could help you! Gaunlet of Rust specifically protects both the wearer and their equipment from rust effects.

Woah! I just looked that up and it sounds perfect! Thank you so much! :smallsmile:

Flickerdart
2016-08-09, 11:30 AM
Rust monsters pose no danger to your character:

"The creature targets the largest metal object available, striking first at armor, then at shields and smaller items."

You are not an object, so as written, the monster will not attempt to eat you.

DM_reek
2016-08-09, 09:03 PM
It's called blueshine and can be bought. Look in 3.5 magic item compendium pg 9. Good luck and happy adventuring.

druid zook
2016-12-28, 12:45 PM
See also Dungeonscape for Durable armor property. It is only 500gp.

Thurbane
2016-12-28, 06:43 PM

Great call: I'd never noticed that property of the magic item before!

PacMan2247
2016-12-28, 06:48 PM
Rust monsters pose no danger to your character:

"The creature targets the largest metal object available, striking first at armor, then at shields and smaller items."

Bureaucrat 1.0 would be pleased.

John Longarrow
2016-12-28, 06:55 PM
You could also bathe in molten zinc....

Thurbane
2016-12-28, 07:01 PM
Bureaucrat 1.0 would be pleased.

It's an interesting reading, but it would seem to be at odds with the Iron Golem entry: "An iron golem is affected normally by rust attacks, such as that of a rust monster or a rusting grasp spell."

...or, in fact, the Warforged's own entry: "A warforged takes the same damage from a rust monster's touch (Reflex DC 17 half)."

PacMan2247
2016-12-28, 07:24 PM
It's an interesting reading, but it would seem to be at odds with the Iron Golem entry: "An iron golem is affected normally by rust attacks, such as that of a rust monster or a rusting grasp spell."

...or, in fact, the Warforged's own entry: "A warforged takes the same damage from a rust monster's touch (Reflex DC 17 half)."

The rust monster's entry doesn't indicate that it does damage- simply that the metal object touched saves or is destroyed. Since the given save DC is the same, and the notation in the warforged entry doesn't make any sense in the context, I've always disregarded it.

My personal take on the OP's situation is that the composite plating of a warforged is several different plates that are integrated with the body of the creature, rather than connected to one another like you'd see in a suit of full plate, so rusting out one plate wouldn't completely destroy the integrity of the armor, much less of the creature. After a couple of successful rusting attacks, I could see imposing the Unarmored Body feat on the character until such time as repairs are made, but I can't see a single attack doing more than reduce the armor bonus from the composite plating.

Flickerdart
2016-12-29, 08:19 AM

It is not at all at odds with those entries. The entries only mention what happens when a rust monster attacks those creatures, but the rust monster's own entry says that it will not do so immediately, because its priority is to eat metal objects. Once all the objects are gone, it might start snacking on the critters.

Stealth Marmot
2016-12-29, 08:44 AM

This sounds almost like an affirmation or motivational speech.

"You are NOT an object, so the rust monster isn't after you!"