PDA

View Full Version : Hidden message in Daigo's name?

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-05, 09:29 AM
I know it's a stretch, but assuming that Daigo is pronounced Die-go(die, as in dead, and go, as in leave) and he said his name, "Daigo" as he was dying, and the death went away...

Do you think his name was a parody of him having a name prolonging his death?

Very clever, Rich.

Spiryt
2007-07-05, 09:50 AM
I'm probably born sceptic, but I think that you can find such word play in almost everything, if you only search hard...

Anyway, death gone away, so it should be death- go, or maybe die - NO, instead of GO.

Elderac
2007-07-05, 09:51 AM
I'm with you on this Mockinbyrd. I made a similar observation in the Comic 472 thread. Even if it wasn't intentional, it is humorous. :smallwink:

Krytha
2007-07-05, 09:59 AM
Or... maybe he thought it was approximately Japanese. People were ja'accuse-ing him of Monkey Island references and he had never heard of the game.

kpenguin
2007-07-05, 10:03 AM
Or... maybe he thought it was approximately Japanese. People were ja'accuse-ing him of Monkey Island references and he had never heard of the game.

Sometimes a cigar is just not a cigar. :smalltongue:

ThorFluff
2007-07-05, 11:15 AM

correction, people was praising and or worshipping him for his unintentional references to monkey island ;)

Tolkien_Freak
2007-07-05, 11:19 AM
It probably wasn't intentional, but interesting observation!

Krytha
2007-07-05, 11:39 AM
correction, people was praising and or worshipping him for his unintentional references to monkey island ;)

....I know.

2007-07-05, 11:41 AM
Usually a cigar is just a cigar. :smalltongue:

Fixed it...

Wiggle
2007-07-05, 11:51 AM
My 2 coppers comes from a previous conversation in the same strip.

ELAN: But the nameless soldiers always DIE!

KAZUMI: GO!

DM's are often challenged to provide a name for all and any NPC's that the PC's encounter - it's a common method of working out whether the NPC is particularly relevant to the plot.

I think Rich (or the metaphysical being that's DMing this game) was thus challenged and made up DAIGO on the spot from DIE-GO in the conversation.

2 CPs please.

Nomadic
2007-07-05, 12:14 PM
Fixed it...

I actually think he did mean:

Sometimes a cigar is just not a cigar.

Kaelaroth
2007-07-05, 12:41 PM
Normally I'd say you're all reading WAY too far between the lines. But considering the OOTS overall wackiness, and Elan's little tidbit - I wouldn't rule anything out.

Admiral_Kelly
2007-07-05, 12:56 PM
Wouldn't his name be pronounced 'dee' as in 'deer''; 'a' as in late; and 'go' as in leave?

Furin_Mirado
2007-07-05, 01:06 PM
Wouldn't his name be pronounced 'dee' as in 'deer''; 'a' as in late; and 'go' as in leave?

If I understand correctly, what you're thinking would be spelled Diego like the spanish name. Daigo is a japanese name and is pronounced DIE-GO as mentioned earlier.

SurlySeraph
2007-07-05, 01:08 PM
My 2 coppers comes from a previous conversation in the same strip.

ELAN: But the nameless soldiers always DIE!

KAZUMI: GO!

DM's are often challenged to provide a name for all and any NPC's that the PC's encounter - it's a common method of working out whether the NPC is particularly relevant to the plot.

I think Rich (or the metaphysical being that's DMing this game) was thus challenged and made up DAIGO on the spot from DIE-GO in the conversation.

2 CPs please.

*reimburses Wiggle for his well-spent 2 cp*

Twilight Jack
2007-07-05, 01:09 PM

Not if it's aping the Japanese romanization. In romanized Japanese, "a" is pronounced 'ah': 'a' as in latte, not late. Combined with the 'i', which is pronounced like a long 'e' in English (as in deer), you've got a sound like the long 'i' in English (as in die).

Hence DIE-go.

Tolkien_Freak
2007-07-05, 01:10 PM
X-SAMPA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-sampa) [dAi.go] or [dA.i.go], not [di."E.go].

How did you get [di."E.go] out of 'Daigo'?

Elderac
2007-07-05, 01:10 PM

If it were spelled Diego, like San Diego, then I would concur. However the dai syllable, in Japanese, is pronouced "die". An example is the Japanese radish - daikon.

I presume, and I realize that is a dangerous thing, the Japanese pronunciation because most Azure City names seem to be oriental in nature.

Although the theory that one poster mentioned with regards to the GM borrowing from the conversation earlier in the strip is entirely plausable. There have been times when stuck for a name, I would glance at a page, find a word and create a name from its letter. :smallsmile:

Balathustrius
2007-07-05, 01:11 PM
I find this supposition highly unlikely, and, if it is in fact the case, it is the lamest joke the Giant has ever made, ever. I would have physically winced if I had noticed this while reading the comic, just as I am wincing now. Egad.

I'm going to always imagine the character's name as being pronounced DAY-go from now on, just to give my brain a rest from this horrible, horrible supposed play on words.

Edit: I really can't stress enough how painful I found this.

Twilight Jack
2007-07-05, 01:15 PM
I find this supposition highly unlikely, and, if it is in fact the case, it is the lamest joke the Giant has ever made, ever. I would have physically winced if I had noticed this while reading the comic, just as I am wincing now. Egad.

I'm going to always imagine the character's name as being pronounced DAY-go from now on, just to give my brain a rest from this horrible, horrible supposed play on words.

Yes, but if you do that, then you'll have to deal with the similarity between his name and Day-Glo, which will create an even worse accidental pun once Rich reveals that Daigo's stubble glows under blacklight.

Crazy_Imp
2007-07-05, 01:17 PM
You think he's actually called Go Daigo, famous emperor of the Southern Court in the 900's?

Or am I just reading too much into this?

Krytha
2007-07-05, 01:18 PM
Its not the pronunciation that's in doubt...

Seriously, there's reading into something and then there's searching desperately for meaning in everything. *gasp* Elan's name! It has El which is pronounced Eel! Aquatic creatures await in his near future!

Balathustrius
2007-07-05, 01:19 PM
Yes, but if you do that, then you'll have to deal with the similarity between his name and Day-Glo, which will create an even worse accidental pun once Rich reveals that Daigo's stubble glows under blacklight.

I appreciate your attempt at levity, but I don't think this is a laughing matter.

Twilight Jack
2007-07-05, 01:26 PM
I appreciate your attempt at levity, but I don't think this is a laughing matter.

You're completely correct. I apologize. What, then, do you propose that we do? I would suggest lodging a formal complaint, but I do honestly believe that the pun this name creates is a matter of purest coincidence and that readers are stretching things a bit far in suggesting any deeper meaning, if only a poor attempt at humor.

After all, we have rightly come to expect better from the creator of Trigak.

Tolkien_Freak
2007-07-05, 01:42 PM
The pun is pure coincidence. There's no point in making a big deal about it.

Balathustrius
2007-07-05, 01:43 PM
What, then, do you propose that we do?

I think the answer to this is fairly obvious. Only blood can cleanse this taint.

waffletaco
2007-07-05, 01:56 PM
What if it's a reference to that dude from the street fighter 3 video? He's gonna get hit down to 1 or 2 hit points, then 50 hobglobins come and they all somehow roll many 1s in a row.

Twilight Jack
2007-07-05, 01:59 PM
I think the answer to this is fairly obvious. Only blood can cleanse this taint.

Indeed. I think Roy left some on the flagstones, and if not then we can always count on Miko's.

Or did you mean the blood of the offending party? I don't know . . . I'd kind of like to see the rest of the story first. Maybe once it's finished, then we can pursue holy retribution.

Ted_Stryker
2007-07-05, 03:07 PM
I know it's a stretch, but assuming that Daigo is pronounced Die-go(die, as in dead, and go, as in leave) and he said his name, "Daigo" as he was dying, and the death went away...

Do you think his name was a parody of him having a name prolonging his death?
His name is also an anagram of "I goad". :smallwink:

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2007-07-06, 10:12 PM
Obviously the Giant has left us a secret message that there is going to be a superlative amount of the number five in our heroes' future.

obviously

Rollin
2007-07-06, 10:53 PM
Obviously the Giant has left us a secret message that there is going to be a superlative amount of the number five in our heroes' future.

obviously

Because I happen to get this:

DAI (http://www.saiga-jp.com/cgi-bin/dic.cgi?m=search&sc=0&f=0&j=dai&g=&e=&s=&rt=0&start=1&sid=1183780337_96112) = great, big

GO (http://www.saiga-jp.com/cgi-bin/dic.cgi?m=search&sc=0&f=0&j=GO&g=&e=&s=&rt=0&start=1&sid=1183780337_96112) = five

Twilight Jack
2007-07-06, 11:14 PM

DAI (http://www.saiga-jp.com/cgi-bin/dic.cgi?m=search&sc=0&f=0&j=dai&g=&e=&s=&rt=0&start=1&sid=1183780337_96112) = great, big

GO (http://www.saiga-jp.com/cgi-bin/dic.cgi?m=search&sc=0&f=0&j=GO&g=&e=&s=&rt=0&start=1&sid=1183780337_96112) = five

Either that, or he's going to start a sporting goods chain after he retires from active duty.

Randalor
2007-07-06, 11:53 PM
Maybe he's just really good at fighting games?

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-06, 11:59 PM
Either that, or he's going to start a sporting goods chain after he retires from active duty.

That's the funniest thing I've heard in four and a half minutes!

And seriously, the last 4 1/2 minutes of my life actually have been quite entertaining.

Krytha
2007-07-07, 12:00 AM
It's less of a fighting game than a strategic one. Yes, there's a difference.

Spiky
2007-07-07, 12:31 AM
Ah, thank you folks. This thread has made up for not having a comic to read this week. Great stuff.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2007-07-07, 12:17 PM

:P Takaigo's all around, man.