PDA

View Full Version : Is there a psionic equivilent to potions?

digiman619
2016-08-09, 12:59 PM
Quick question: I know that psionics has a bunch of item creation feats to separate them from magic despite have equivalences; i.e., Djories do practically the same job wands do, except for power rather than spells, and the same goes for power stones and scrolls, as well as psicrowns and staves. My question is: Is there a potion equivalent? If not, what would be the best way to make one?

Blueiji
2016-08-09, 01:03 PM
I've never really read them over thoroughly, but I think Psionic Tattoos (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/psionicTattoos.htm) are what you're looking for.

dascarletm
2016-08-09, 01:05 PM
Dorjes are what you are looking for.

My mistake :smallredface:

Zaq
2016-08-09, 01:10 PM

Not quite. Blueiji was right: tattoos are the potion-equivalent. Dorjes are the wand-equivalent. (Tattoos can be used by anyone and can only go up to 3rd level, while Dorjes have charges and require special knowledge.)

Tattoos are obviously less user-friendly than potions simply because you have to put them on your body rather than just carrying them, but they're what you're looking for.

If you want to go crazy with tattoos, this article (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20031225a) has some intriguing possibilities.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-08-09, 01:10 PM
Dorjes, like wands, require that you have the power on your power list. Potions don't.

The soul crystal power can create something similar to a potion, in the sense that it doesn't require the user to know any powers or make any checks. It's a seventh-level power, though, so it's not exactly potion-level accessible.

digiman619
2016-08-09, 01:12 PM
I've never really read them over thoroughly, but I think Psionic Tattoos (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/psionicTattoos.htm) are what you're looking for.

Except I can't pass the fighter my tattoo of body adjustment like I could a potion of cure light wounds. a psionic tattoo is more like a spell (or rather power) storing item that can't be lost until it's used.

Zaq
2016-08-09, 01:17 PM
It's still as close as you're gonna get. All the other power-trigger/power-completion items (dorjes, power stones, psicrowns) require special knowledge that your Fighter probably isn't going to have. Tattoos are the only ones that don't require special knowledge, so they're the equivalent to potions.

Also, you can move a tattoo from your body to a willing or unconscious character's body as a standard action. XPH pg. 170.

Psyren
2016-08-09, 01:26 PM
Except I can't pass the fighter my tattoo of body adjustment like I could a potion of cure light wounds. a psionic tattoo is more like a spell (or rather power) storing item that can't be lost until it's used.

You generally can't pass them your dorje either. Psionics is designed to be a bit more selfish than magic; that's just how it works. It's one reason I've gravitated just a bit more towards Psychic Magic in recent months.

dascarletm
2016-08-09, 03:25 PM
Not quite. Blueiji was right: tattoos are the potion-equivalent. Dorjes are the wand-equivalent.

Ah right. Serves me right for jumping in without re-reading:smalltongue:

ATalsen
2016-08-09, 05:02 PM
Except I can't pass the fighter my tattoo of body adjustment like I could a potion of cure light wounds.

Yes, you can transfer psionic tattoos:

"A psionic tattoo inscribed on a wearer is potentially more mobile than a mundane tattoo. As a standard action, the wearer can will the tattoo to move to a different part of his body or onto the skin of any willing (or unconscious) living creature he touches."

EDIT: Ah, I see Zaq already noted this!

Feint's End
2016-08-10, 12:58 AM
You generally can't pass them your dorje either. Psionics is designed to be a bit more selfish than magic; that's just how it works. It's one reason I've gravitated just a bit more towards Psychic Magic in recent months.

In Ultimate Psionics there is the option for crawling tattoos though which allows you to "pass them on" to another creature (willing or unwilling). AFAIK nothing is stopping you from making all your tattoos crawling for more flexibility.

Psyren
2016-08-10, 01:06 AM
In Ultimate Psionics there is the option for crawling tattoos though which allows you to "pass them on" to another creature (willing or unwilling). AFAIK nothing is stopping you from making all your tattoos crawling for more flexibility.

Yep, DSP solved (or at least mitigated) several of the issues with 3.5 psionics. I was just pointing out how they were originally designed.