PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next JB's Pile O' Brew - PEACH

JBPuffin
2016-08-09, 03:35 PM
I've got a little bit of 5e design under my belt, and in the process I came up with some features I like, but don't have true equivalents in existing stuff and thereby are hard for me to balance. If any of these inspire you, by all means, you're welcome to them - I just need to know if they work.

Also, have a base class! For free!

Flash Step - Base Class
Beginning at 2nd level, you may teleport to any location you can see within 5 feet of you as a bonus action. This distance increases to 10 feet at 7th level, 15 at 12th level, and 20 at 17th level.
I really like this as an alternative to the Monk's Unarmored Movement, as teleporting as several advantages over normal movement. It also inspired Loop Hole to go with it.

Loop Hole - Base Class
Starting at 6th level, whenever you teleport you may spend leave behind a hole in time which lasts for 10 minutes or until you use a bonus action to dismiss it. You can walk into one of these holes and emerge from another as part of your movement as if the two holes were a single open door. Other creatures of your choice who attempt to pass through one of these holes must make a Wisdom save equal to 8+your proficiency modifier+your [Key Stat] modifier. If they fail, they end their move action and have disadvantage on their next ability check or attack roll; if they succeed, they can pass through the hole and emerge from another hole, randomly determined. You regain the use of this ability after a short or long rest.You ever wanted to set up a save point in a tabletop RPG? Since the holes last for up to 10 minutes, you can make a network in prep for an ambush, trap an entrance to stall enemies, and other fun things.

Parallel Self - Base Class
Beginning at 10th level, you can be in two places at once – long enough, at least, to evade a blow that in other timelines caused you no end of trouble. When a creature makes an attack roll against you, you can spend your reaction to interpose a parallel timeline’s version of you between the attacker and yourself. The attack automatically misses you, then the parallel dissipates. You regain the use of this ability after a short or long rest.Dodge! I mean, it's just a nifty feature to have - twice as good as the 5th level Rogue feature, so I put it at 10th.

THE ARITHMATIST, No longer slated for the DM's Guild! (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0jQD4g1XaTTWWpCeE9SUGJWWE0)

I'll post more later. PEACH, and cheers :smallsmile:.

RATHSQUATCH
2016-08-11, 12:39 PM
I've got a little bit of 5e design under my belt, and in the process I came up with some features I like, but don't have true equivalents in existing stuff and thereby are hard for me to balance. If any of these inspire you, by all means, you're welcome to them - I just need to know if they work.

Also, have a base class! For free!

Flash Step - Base Class
Beginning at 2nd level, you may teleport to any location you can see within 5 feet of you as a bonus action. This distance increases to 10 feet at 7th level, 15 at 12th level, and 20 at 17th level.
I really like this as an alternative to the Monk's Unarmored Movement, as teleporting as several advantages over normal movement. It also inspired Loop Hole to go with it.

Loop Hole - Base Class
Starting at 6th level, whenever you teleport you may spend leave behind a hole in time which lasts for 10 minutes or until you use a bonus action to dismiss it. You can walk into one of these holes and emerge from another as part of your movement as if the two holes were a single open door. Other creatures of your choice who attempt to pass through one of these holes must make a Wisdom save equal to 8+your proficiency modifier+your [Key Stat] modifier. If they fail, they end their move action and have disadvantage on their next ability check or attack roll; if they succeed, they can pass through the hole and emerge from another hole, randomly determined. You regain the use of this ability after a short or long rest.You ever wanted to set up a save point in a tabletop RPG? Since the holes last for up to 10 minutes, you can make a network in prep for an ambush, trap an entrance to stall enemies, and other fun things.

Parallel Self - Base Class
Beginning at 10th level, you can be in two places at once – long enough, at least, to evade a blow that in other timelines caused you no end of trouble. When a creature makes an attack roll against you, you can spend your reaction to interpose a parallel timeline’s version of you between the attacker and yourself. The attack automatically misses you, then the parallel dissipates. You regain the use of this ability after a short or long rest.Dodge! I mean, it's just a nifty feature to have - twice as good as the 5th level Rogue feature, so I put it at 10th.

THE ARITHMATIST, No longer slated for the DM's Guild! (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0jQD4g1XaTTWWpCeE9SUGJWWE0)

I'll post more later. PEACH, and cheers :smallsmile:.

I think all of these would be fantastic for a "Time Mage" or some type of Time Domain for a cleric to use. I'm not sure about balance, but the idea of these features is really cool.

JBPuffin
2016-08-14, 10:27 PM
I think all of these would be fantastic for a "Time Mage" or some type of Time Domain for a cleric to use. I'm not sure about balance, but the idea of these features is really cool.

Originally they were meant for a time traveler, but then I got extra-super stuck on the archetypes and ended up making it into an archetype for the Arithmatist (which I have to change since it doesn't use Flash Step and still had Loop Hole on its list b/c copy-paste...)

JBPuffin
2016-08-16, 01:10 PM
Now that I'm going back to try and make this time traveler work, what would work for archetypes? I have ideas, but not ones I feel are good...

marauder340
2016-08-18, 08:08 PM
Time magic is a tricky thing, but hella cool lol

I'm thinking 2 archetypes focusing on Time or Space to get a chronomancer or planeswalker kind of vibe. Space seems like an easier thing to fiddle with, like moving an area to another plane to isolate it not unlike Sanctuary and you could have crazy mobility from shifting between planes or folding space to do a less random teleport.

Time is potentially very Sands of Time-y to avoid stepping on the toes of something as high-level as Time Stop (although they hosed that spell hard this edition).

PapaQuackers
2016-08-18, 10:22 PM
Time and Space are pretty distinct entities and I would keep them separate if I were you.

I think Time Mage is a pretty narrow concept in the format of 5th editions I must have 3 archetype things. You could definitely make something called like "Dimensional Mage" that focused on the applications of Time,Space, and Matter.

marauder340
2016-08-18, 11:07 PM
Good point. Explains why I found the Space idea way easier to come up with stuff for. I second that idea.

JBPuffin
2016-08-19, 11:07 AM
That's a good idea - the core features don't even have to change.