PDA

View Full Version : No racial skill bonuses

Garfunion
2016-08-09, 03:51 PM
Would it break the game if I removed the skill bonuses from the racial traits. Players would then choose a background which would fill in the missing bonus skills.

Just because you are a half-elf doesn't make you automatically better at Diplomacy/Insight. Your racial stats do that for you.

MwaO
2016-08-09, 04:49 PM
Would it break the game if I removed the skill bonuses from the racial traits. Players would then choose a background which would fill in the missing bonus skills.

Just because you are a half-elf doesn't make you automatically better at Diplomacy/Insight. Your racial stats do that for you.

The tricky part are the races that don't necessarily get skill bonuses, but rather a bonus skill, such as Human.

Also, it just means Half-Elves are a little better at Diplomacy/Insight on average. Doesn't mean that's the only route to go to be a Diplomat...

It won't break anything, but I think having racial skills adds something to the game by forcing choices rather than being open-ended bonus.

Garfunion
2016-08-09, 04:59 PM
I used the half-elf as an example, but I understand what you are saying. Which is why your background choices will replace the skill bonuses your racial traits provided.

Imagine an Eladrin baby growing up in a kind human settlement with no other Eladrin around. This Eladrin would not be exposed to all the arcane or history that a normal Eladrin would be exposed to while growing up.

I'm also trying to understand why a race would have a particular skill bonuses.

MwaO
2016-08-09, 05:20 PM
I used the half-elf as an example, but I understand what you are saying. Which is why your background choices will replace the skill bonuses your racial traits provided.

Imagine an Eladrin baby growing up in a kind human settlement with no other Eladrin around. This Eladrin would not be exposed to all the arcane or history that a normal Eladrin would be exposed to while growing up.

Then they're not trained in Arcana or History. They're still naturally good at it compared to the humans in that settlement. They're Fey, literally creatures of magic of a sort.

If I were going to make the change, I'd say you could give up your +2/2 for a +2 in a skill of your choice - then there's a benefit/penalty instead of pure benefit.

Mando Knight
2016-08-15, 05:30 AM
This Eladrin would not be exposed to all the arcane or history that a normal Eladrin would be exposed to while growing up.

I'm also trying to understand why a race would have a particular skill bonuses.

Because they're physically and/or mentally predisposed to that skill. All else held equal, an Eladrin's mind is more capable of understanding and recalling certain kinds of esoteric details, making them better at Arcana and History than a similar Human would be. Similarly, Dwarves naturally have more stamina and an affinity for understanding underground architecture and life, giving them a bonus to Dungeoneering and Endurance.

Kurald Galain
2016-08-15, 08:26 AM
Would it break the game if I removed the skill bonuses from the racial traits.

No, but it would make the races more homogenous and the game less diverse.