PDA

View Full Version : I want my minecraft back (virus problem)

Durkoala
2016-08-09, 04:26 PM
So, my antivirus has flagged up and quarantined Minecraft launcher as having or being a security risk. I asked a slightly more computer-literate friend, who said that since it's a java-based game, it can be vulnerable. Obviously, I don't want to let an unknown program loose on my computer, but I also want to be able to play Minecraft when I'm tired and stressed. Is there any way to clean or otherwise fix it?

Razade
2016-08-09, 05:07 PM
So, my antivirus has flagged up and quarantined Minecraft launcher as having or being a security risk. I asked a slightly more computer-literate friend, who said that since it's a java-based game, it can be vulnerable. Obviously, I don't want to let an unknown program loose on my computer, but I also want to be able to play Minecraft when I'm tired and stressed. Is there any way to clean or otherwise fix it?

Have you run a virus scan? When it popped up as a security risk what did it tell you? What anti-virus are you running? When was the last time it updated? When was the last time you updated your Java? Give us a screen shot of the message it gives you. Otherwise uninstall Java. Uninstall Minecraft. Run a virus scan. Clean what ever it says it's going to clean. Re-install java. Re-install Minecraft.

Durkoala
2016-08-10, 04:36 PM
I'm using the free version of Avira, which updates every two hours. My java was out of date at the time, but I've updated it to the newest version now. When it first flagged, it was registered as some thing like 'Baladir', but I can't be sure because... it's apparently clean now! I'm guessing it was auto-cleaned or something?

http://i.imgur.com/Rx3Zygm.png

I'm still keeping it in quarantine until I know more. Does anybody have any advice?

veti
2016-08-10, 08:52 PM
I'm still keeping it in quarantine until I know more. Does anybody have any advice?

Caveat: my knowledge of viruses is over 10 years old, so what follows may no longer be at all true.

When a virus infects a file, the usual procedure is for it to 'tag' the file with a unique string of code. This is how viruses know not to reinfect the same file over and over (which would be both a waste of time, and a dead giveaway for detection). Most virus checkers work by keeping a database of known virus "signatures", and checking for the presence of these in your files.

It's possible, although unusual, for the signature string to occur naturally within a file. In that case, the virus checker may return a false positive result.

In the event of that happening with a well known piece of software like Minecraft, I would expect the antivirus vendor to make an update fairly quickly that would double-check the result and know to cancel the report when it detected this particular string in this particular file.

Once again, I don't know if that's what happened. But it fits the facts as you've reported them.

Next time you see a virus report, I suggest noting down the name and searching for it in the Symantec virus database (https://www.symantec.com/security_response/landing/azlisting.jsp). If you find it there, it'll give you all sorts of useful information that will help you decide (a) how likely it is to be a real thing, (b) where it might have come from, and (c) in the worst case, how much damage it might do.

factotum
2016-08-11, 02:23 AM
I'm with veti here--it's entirely probable this was a false positive result, especially since it disappeared on its own after getting a virus definition update. Why didn't you just re-download a fresh copy of the Minecraft launcher when this first happened, out of interest? Since the launcher then downloads all the Java stuff needed for the game itself that seems like the easiest way to ensure you have a clean installation.

Durkoala
2016-08-11, 04:53 PM
It's possible, although unusual, for the signature string to occur naturally within a file. In that case, the virus checker may return a false positive result.

Once again, I don't know if that's what happened. But it fits the facts as you've reported them.

Next time you see a virus report, I suggest noting down the name and searching for it in the Symantec virus database (https://www.symantec.com/security_response/landing/azlisting.jsp). If you find it there, it'll give you all sorts of useful information that will help you decide (a) how likely it is to be a real thing, (b) where it might have come from, and (c) in the worst case, how much damage it might do.
Thanks for this info. I ran through most of the spelling variants I could think of in the database, but no luck in finding it so far. It's a shame I can't remember it...

I'm with veti here--it's entirely probable this was a false positive result, especially since it disappeared on its own after getting a virus definition update. Why didn't you just re-download a fresh copy of the Minecraft launcher when this first happened, out of interest? Since the launcher then downloads all the Java stuff needed for the game itself that seems like the easiest way to ensure you have a clean installation.

Er... because that never... occured to me.:smallsigh::smallredface: