PDA

View Full Version : Superman's Flight...

Teloric
2007-07-05, 10:00 AM
Easily my favourite power in all of comics, the ability to fly, without wings or obvious propulsion. Has there ever been a pseudo-scientific explanation in the comics as to how, exactly, Superman is able to fly? I would like to know what that was.

For a number of characters, it's fairly obvious - Iron man has his jet boots, Hawkgirl has wings, Storm uses the wind, etc. But Superman seems to simply "will" himself to wherever he wants to go, and I can't see a "comicbook" science reason behind it...

Chaos Perfected
2007-07-05, 10:19 AM
I think the explanation used to be that he can just jump so high that he reaches a point where he just doesn't have to come down. They've probably changed it by now, however.

Green Bean
2007-07-05, 10:39 AM
One theory is that Superman's flight is a limited form of telekinesis, allowing him to fly without leaping. This can also be used as an explanation for how he can pick up things like battleships or mountains without them crumbling under their own weight. There's precedence, too. Kryptonians such a Supergirl and Superboy had telekinetic powers as well.

SteveMB
2007-07-05, 10:47 AM
I think the explanation used to be that he can just jump so high that he reaches a point where he just doesn't have to come down.
In the very beginning, Superman couldn't fly -- he could just jump really high and far (the classic "...able to leap tall buildings in a single bound..." description dates from those days). The first batch of Max Fleischer animated cartoons showed this version, but the animators found it difficult to keep depicting Supes jumping like a giant grasshopper without looking silly. They asked if they could just have him fly, got an OK, and the concept percolated back to the comic book.

(Yes, that's the real-world metaexplanation, not the in-universe explanation. I think the latter keeps changing.)

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-07-05, 11:04 AM
It's probably tied into the one inch invulnerability field thing, where everything within one inch of Superman's skin is nearly as tough as his skin itself. Kryptonian powers all seem to deal with the storing, manipulating, and releasing of solar energy in some form, so maybe the flight's a willfull manipulation of the time/space around him to cause him to propel in any direction conceivable. In short, I agree with the possible limited telekinesis thing, I'm just trying to flavor it a bit more :P

Invisible Queen
2007-07-05, 11:06 AM
Warren Ellis explained it as "refractory gravitation", that's to say, he's able to locally redirect gravity to suit his purposes. A lot of his powers could work that way.

SteveMB
2007-07-05, 11:28 AM
It's probably tied into the one inch invulnerability field thing, where everything within one inch of Superman's skin is nearly as tough as his skin itself.
At least that would solve the "Man Of Steel, Woman Of Kleenex" problem.... :smallsmile:

Yuki Akuma
2007-07-05, 11:35 AM
I like the "gravity manipulation" explanation of his flight, superstrength, invulnerability and so on.

It doesn't explain most of his powers, but it'd be nice if a few of his powers could be condenced into just one or two! He has way too many powers.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-07-05, 11:46 AM
As a constant, they're all due to solar energy manipulation. So there is a sort of glue between all the powers, even if the explanation requires a bit of a stretch sometimes.

Bluelantern
2007-07-05, 12:15 PM
I like the explanation "Tactile telekinesis" that they used for Superboy, not sure if you could apply to superman. =P

Kaelaroth
2007-07-05, 12:32 PM
Yes. You are correct, all of you who mentioned a "field" around him. One of his powers (currently) is to passively project a "super-field" round him, that makes him invulnerable, enhance his strength, and FLY!!! This IS tactile telekinesis. Apparently.

Hushdawg
2007-07-05, 07:43 PM
I like the "gravity manipulation" explanation of his flight, superstrength, invulnerability and so on.

It doesn't explain most of his powers, but it'd be nice if a few of his powers could be condenced into just one or two! He has way too many powers.

Silver-Age Superman - YES

Real (Modern or Golden Age) - NO

Superman's molecular structure is much denser than humans, so in Earth's gravity (being far less than Kryptonian gravity for which his genetics are geared toward) plus the absorption of the specific frequency of radiation from our sun while he was growing up has given him a few powers:
1 - Superstrength is due to the denser molecular structure. The incredibly dense and strong muscles provide the superspeed and super-breath (which has the effect of cooling things off) and, of course, the strength off the charts.
2 - Invincibility - also due to the dense molecular structure
3 - mental powers - partial hypnosis (which is why people don't recognize that Kent and Superman are the same person) and aforementioned telekinesis gravity/manipulation which allows him to fly.
4 - X-ray vision; the tight concentration of X-rays is what allows his heat vision to occur. (Yes, I realize that X-rays don't really work that way)

So really, Superman only has four powers that he uses to create other feats of Superhuman abilities.

It's super, man!

sealemon
2007-07-05, 08:21 PM
I like the explanation "Tactile telekinesis" that they used for Superboy, not sure if you could apply to superman. =P

superboy's Tactile TK is an overclocked version of post Crisis Superman's Tactile TK. It's why he's able to pick up things like battleships and skyscrapers, and they don't fall apart under their own weight. He "holds" them together. He doesn't even conceously think about it. Of course, Supes has been ret-conned over the last few years, so maybe it's something different now.

Gavin Sage
2007-07-05, 09:40 PM
The most detailed explanation of Supes' powers I believe came out of the John Bryne era with The Man of Steel right after COIE. And that was explained as a form of telekinesis. I think that is the simplest explanation for post-crisis, Supes uses the energy from the sun direct in various ways that manifest as his powers.

Gravity manipulation is a bit to weird and messing with a more fundamental force even in comic book pseudo-science for my tastes. As Supes while powerful is not "weird" powerful.

Logic
2007-07-05, 09:55 PM
In the very beginning, Superman couldn't fly -- he could just jump really high and far (the classic "...able to leap tall buildings in a single bound..." description dates from those days). The first batch of Max Fleischer animated cartoons showed this version, but the animators found it difficult to keep depicting Supes jumping like a giant grasshopper without looking silly. They asked if they could just have him fly, got an OK, and the concept percolated back to the comic book.

(Yes, that's the real-world metaexplanation, not the in-universe explanation. I think the latter keeps changing.)

I was watching a special about Superman on the History channel, and they said they started making Superman fly during the old Superman radio broadcasts.

sealemon
2007-07-05, 10:22 PM
I should add that the TK explanation of his powers was expanded into his other powers as well...his physical invulnerability was augmented by his will power-fueled force field, and his heat vision was a form of pyrokinisis (A recent issue of Superman explained his heat vision as a heat sink: he was releasing his waste heat through his eyes! Guess he'd have to use the ol' heat vision on a regular basis or fry his brain, huh?), and so forth. It was actually a cool concept as it not only gave his powers a plausible theme, but also a non-kriptonite/magic weakness: if he couldn't focus his will on not being hurt, he COULD be hurt by suffeciant force, particularly electricity. There were several examples of him gettign shot in the back by a tank gun, electrical attack, plasma bomb or whatever, and it knocking Supes OUT. conversely, if he just stood still and focused, he couldn't be budged or hurt by anthting, but that was basically ALL he could do. It made him much more interesting. Unfortunatly, he's been sinking further and further to his silly Silver Age levels of power...I expect to see him moving planets with his shoulder any day now.

P.S. His Super Hypnosis power hurts my brain, for all the wrong reasons.

gatitcz
2007-07-05, 10:37 PM
I thought I'd heard Superman's heat vision was him releasing some of that solar energy he stores up. That one made sense. Everything else about his powers is just magic.

Tallis
2007-07-06, 01:06 AM
Easily my favourite power in all of comics, the ability to fly, without wings or obvious propulsion. Has there ever been a pseudo-scientific explanation in the comics as to how, exactly, Superman is able to fly? I would like to know what that was.

For a number of characters, it's fairly obvious - Iron man has his jet boots, Hawkgirl has wings, Storm uses the wind, etc. But Superman seems to simply "will" himself to wherever he wants to go, and I can't see a "comicbook" science reason behind it...

I've heard both the anti-grav and TK explanations, not sure what's current.

FYI Hawkgirl's flight is anti-grav based from Nth metal. The wings are just for added maneuverability. In a recent issue of Birds of Prey she mentioned not needing the wings anymore, so she may have absorbed the power into herself, not sure.

Tallis
2007-07-06, 01:09 AM
One theory is that Superman's flight is a limited form of telekinesis, allowing him to fly without leaping. This can also be used as an explanation for how he can pick up things like battleships or mountains without them crumbling under their own weight. There's precedence, too. Kryptonians such a Supergirl and Superboy had telekinetic powers as well.

Superboy (modern) wasn't actually Kryptonian. He was a clone combining Lex Luthor and (probably)Superman's DNA. At one point it wasn't even clear he had Supe's DNA at all, but I think it was eventually confirmed. At best he's only half Kryptonian and his power's differed from superman's in some ways.

Green Bean
2007-07-06, 01:29 AM
Superboy (modern) wasn't actually Kryptonian. He was a clone combining Lex Luthor and (probably)Superman's DNA. At one point it wasn't even clear he had Supe's DNA at all, but I think it was eventually confirmed. At best he's only half Kryptonian and his power's differed from superman's in some ways.

Granted, but his powers didn't come from Luthor's DNA, unless they've given him superpowers while I wasn't looking. Anything superhuman about him (besides intelligence) would probably be Kryptonian-based.

On a side note, I believe Superboy's tactile telekinesis is a bit more advanced than Superman's (for instance, he didn't actually have to grip the object to lift it, just touch it.

Rare Pink Leech
2007-07-06, 05:39 AM
3 - mental powers - partial hypnosis (which is why people don't recognize that Kent and Superman are the same person) and aforementioned telekinesis gravity/manipulation which allows him to fly.

I thought the partial hypnosis explanation was done away with, on the grounds of being rather silly. Sure, it might work when Clark is in your presence, masking the fact that he's got the physique of a god, but what about when you look at a photograph of him? It's kinda hard not to notice that he's absolutely ripped.

SteveMB
2007-07-06, 06:04 AM
I thought the partial hypnosis explanation was done away with, on the grounds of being rather silly. Sure, it might work when Clark is in your presence, masking the fact that he's got the physique of a god, but what about when you look at a photograph of him? It's kinda hard not to notice that he's absolutely ripped.
The opening sequence of the comic where they introduced the "hypnosis" explanation was classic, though. Clark is at the Daily Planet, and all of a sudden a meteor is about to crash into the building. He starts looking for a place to slip away to and change -- and the rest of the staff starts yelling that they don't have time to humor him about that now -- just switch to Superman already and take care of it. Then, he wakes up from the nightmare, and starts thinking about how ridiculous the "glasses" disguise is, really.... :smallsmile:

Thinweazel
2007-07-06, 06:20 AM
I was reading an explenation comic about most of the DC characters powers and the only thing I believe they came up with was that he could fly due to sheer will.

Gavin Sage
2007-07-06, 01:43 PM

Yeah its long long gone, because how it worked on photographs or TV is beyond anyone to figure out. I'm not sure if it was even referred to seriously beyond a story or two.

The current explanation as such is with a smile explain that peope don't think Superman has a secret identity. No mask and what not, he obviously has nothing to hide. Lex Luthor supposedly at one point found out Clark Kent is Superman but couldn't accept the notion that such a god could stand to hide like that and concluded he must be wrong.

Which makes sense enough for the general public until leaving us with those who have close contact with both personas. Lois knows and the two are happily married. So we have what Jimmy Olsen and maybe Perry White.

Though at a basic level it is something of suspension of disbelief. They do a good job in the movies though I think of making Clark Kent distinct.

Grod_The_Giant
2007-07-06, 05:22 PM
have you heard of 'gravitons'? They're tiny subatomic particles that scientists think exist and cause gravity. Anyway, I've seen an explanation involving Superman's body generating 'anti-gravitons'. Or the whole tactical telekinesis thing works as well.

I think the current explanation for the Clark Kent disguise is a combination of good acting skills and muscle control, people thinking things like 'he doesn't wear a mask, he doesn't have a secret identity', and the fact that most people see the costume, not the face.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-07-06, 05:29 PM
Kryptonians have a pretty high degree of control over their bodies as well, far more then we mere humans do. Maybe Superman can actually make his muscles smaller when he's Clark? I mean, Clark never seems to be as ripped as Superman when they show him.

Logic
2007-07-06, 05:40 PM
have you heard of 'gravitons'? They're tiny subatomic particles that scientists think exist and cause gravity. Anyway, I've seen an explanation involving Superman's body generating 'anti-gravitons'. Or the whole tactical telekinesis thing works as well.

I think the current explanation for the Clark Kent disguise is a combination of good acting skills and muscle control, people thinking things like 'he doesn't wear a mask, he doesn't have a secret identity', and the fact that most people see the costume, not the face.

That is only one of the theories to explain gravity, and they can't even prove gravitons exist.

Grod_The_Giant
2007-07-06, 08:53 PM
Kryptonians have a pretty high degree of control over their bodies as well, far more then we mere humans do. Maybe Superman can actually make his muscles smaller when he's Clark? I mean, Clark never seems to be as ripped as Superman when they show him.

well, Clark also always wears loose suits and stuff. I *think* that in a scene I saw where he was at home with Lois, in a sleeveless t-shirt, he looked as muscular as he did in spandex. 'Course, I don't think the artist was drawing him super-ripped as Superman either.

Hushdawg
2007-07-06, 09:34 PM

I agree that it is kinda silly, but AFAIK the explanation was not rescinded per se.
The canon explanation was that Superman fashioned his glasses out of kryptonian glass which augmented his passive hypnotic power and would even project the image to be recorded on film.

I have not seen a more recent reworking of the reason why the simple Clark Kent disguise works. I think the last time this was published was in the late 1970s though, it is possible that the writers at DC just hoped people would forget about it. :smalltongue:

I'll be looking it up though, if I find something more recent then I'll post it here.

Hushdawg
2007-07-06, 09:38 PM
well, Clark also always wears loose suits and stuff. I *think* that in a scene I saw where he was at home with Lois, in a sleeveless t-shirt, he looked as muscular as he did in spandex. 'Course, I don't think the artist was drawing him super-ripped as Superman either.

The thing is, Kryptonians have a much denser molecular structure so Supes wouldn't really have to be ripped in order to have the incredible strength.

Rare Pink Leech
2007-07-07, 08:30 AM

well, Clark also always wears loose suits and stuff.

Yup, as far as I know, everything you listed, plus some slouching and acting like timid Clark, are all the tricks he uses for a disguise. Which, to tell the truth, I can actually believe with only a bit of suspension of disbelief.

Also, I wear glasses, and I've been told by close friends that I look quite a bit different without them (since they're so used to seeing me with glasses), so the glasses disguise is (ever so slightly) more effective than a lot of people seem to think.