PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Tips for a character

Seppo87
2016-08-09, 08:50 PM
This is for a one-shot game, so I'm looking for a few simple but powerful ideas.

The character is an half-orc paladin.
Another player has rolled an Inquisitor.

We agreed that his character would be my character's mentor, and we're going for a
student and master team (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StudentAndMasterTeam) and Red Oni, Blue Oni (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RedOniBlueOni) kind of thing.
(note: the other player doesn't know about tvtropes, the idea came out spontaneously and I checked tvtropes after that - there I found these two articles that, as expected of tvtropes, hit the nail on the head)

I would like, within the short duration of the one-shot, to give a strong impression of the concept, so I was thinking of preparing some small scenes in advance, or at least some standardized character interactions so that I'm not unprepared.

The basic idea is that my character, a hot-headed youngster with a heart of gold and a remarkable attitude, has a relationship with his mentor on two leves:
On the surface he disrespects and badmouths him, looks like he doesn't want to recieve instructions, and need to be kept in check.
Internally he has a high opinion of his mentor, feels gratitude and esteem, wants to protect him, to be reliable and helpful, and to live up to his expectations.
In some sense, one might say that him being a punk is indeed a reinforcement for his mentor's identity, as this allows him (the mentor) to play his role of an educator indefinitely.

Now, how can I express this contrast effectively in the span of a few, short interactions?

I thought of getting inspired by existing stories, the only suitable example I found was Takamura Mamoru with his Coach (and, perhaps, Gimli and Legolas to some extent) but then, I don't have the time to rewatch the whole Hajime no Ippo and I don't know how I can find the relevant scenes, and in any case I can't really explain what's happening to the other players through a flashback - which is what happens in the series iirc.

Practically, this has to be implicit enough so that it doesn't contradict that our characters don't want to show openly their bond, but explicit enough so that the other players "get" what's actually happening.

So I'm asking for a contribution, if you could put on the table some of your expertise and imagination to help me flesh out a concept in a way that works well through examples or tips.

I think concrete tips or scenes ideas would be best.
But I'm open to all kind of suggestions

Geddy2112
2016-08-10, 11:32 AM
These are pretty classic tropes, and really easy to express on the table. Double because you both serve the same deity. Most deities have a dualistic aspect of the warrior/philosopher, so you can both pick and play up these aspects of your deity. I assume you are using standard PF deities? If I knew which one I could offer greater advice.

Play to the strengths of your build-you are both a half orc and a paladin. You might(probably) have a chip on your shoulder from what is almost certainly a rough past. You are probably trying to go against your natural nature to be a thuggish brute. You are charisma based; you heard the calling of your faith and nothing can sway you, your conviction is strong. You also probably don't have the greatest wisdom score, so your probably a bit hasty to act and foolish. You might read the faith a bit literal, doubly any passage about the need for might, using the sword, etc. You are probably looking to prove yourself and the faith, exalting a glory greater than yourself.

Contrast this with your inquisitor mentor. Inquisitors are (generally) much more stoic and they have probably studied the finer aspects of the faith far more than you. They are wisdom based-their conviction is not as overt as yours, but their understanding and being in tune with the faith is dead on. They read the faith with understanding, the text is open to interpretation. Problems must be approached pragmatically, and walking with the faith is not who can be the most pious, but the most in step with the divine. Your mentor needs to prove nothing-maybe they already earned their stripes, but even if they didn't they don't answer to mortals and don't give two flips about what they think.

The long and short of it is that actions speak louder than words. It is a 1 shot, there will be combat so you can use this to really play up the stereotypes. You will probably start every combat by drawing your big weapon of choice, saying something firebrandish, and going to klobbertown. Likewise, your mentor is much more likely to calmly cast a spell, or eloquently pronounce judgement, maybe using a weapon but if so they will fight more carefully. You can tunnel vision into the threat(brownie points for undead, evil outsiders, obviously murderous brigands, etc) and rend them asunder. While your mentor will more subtly be a well placed arrow, or bless spell, what have you.

For any situation, propose more rash or daring actions for problem solving. Let your mentor propose the calm/rational/tactical/pragmatic actions. This would be the best time to backtalk; no need to insult him too much, but you can be critical of his actions and attitude. Likewise, he can retort with how you are a brash and stupid youngin.

Example
You-"We kick in the door and bring the murderers to justice"
Mentor-"It would be wiser to go in quietly, to prevent bloodshed on all sides"
You-"We will send them the justice of (deity X), their light protects even you, old man."
Mentor-"Our planning and reason will send them the justice of (deity X) indeed. We will be in (deity X's) glory one day; I plan to meet them after a long life of service, passing gently in my own bed with a belly full of wine. If you want to meet the divine sooner, then by all means kick in the door, and go in suffering, with your body pierced and slashed apart, having done nothing to glorify (deity X). Their light protects us from the attacks of our enemies, but not our own stupidity"

TheYell
2016-08-10, 02:16 PM
Playing on what Geddy2112 said about actions speak louder than words

Half-orc elbows his way to the head of the chow line, snags a bowl of stew, brings it to the inquisitor.
Inquisitor waits patiently for half orc to return to the end of the line, wait his turn, and come back with his own bowl of stew.
Half-orc begins gobbling stew with his fingers.
Inquisitor calmly offers him a spoon.
Half-orc nods and eats stew with his spoon.
Inquisitor gets second spoon and starts eating his stew.