PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Just how many spells and/or cantrips can the Lore and Valor Bards have, really?

DiceDiceBaby
2016-08-10, 12:02 AM
Hello, Giants!

Quick set of rules questions (or not so quick) to clarify the Bard's Magical Secrets and Additional Magical Secrets.

To summarize, just how many more spells does a Lore Bard have as compared to a Valor Bard?

At 6th level, the Lore Bard has access to Additional Magical Secrets (strange name, if you ask me, since the actual Magical Secrets happen at level 10). Apparently this allows the Lore Bard to have two additional spells known that do not count towards the total number of spells a bard has memorized, and can be 3rd level or lower (or even a cantrip).

At 10th level, both the Lore and Valor Bards get access to Magical Secrets, which allows them to add two spells from any class, 5th level or lower (or even a cantrip) into their spells to select, but apparently these do count towards the spells known.

As I read this, that means that at level 10, the Lore Bard will actually have 16 spells known (4 of which can be from other classes) and the Valor Bard will have 14 spells known (2 of which can be from other classes). Is that right?

Next, suppose we use the Magical Secrets and/or Additional Magical secrets to pick cantrips instead of spells (totally inefficient, I know, but humor me). It is implied that the two spells known (leaping from 12 to 14 spells known on the level 9 to level 10 jump in the Bard class) are supposed to be your picks for Magical Secrets. But suppose that you pick cantrips instead.

The way I see it, the cantrips would count as "spells known", but there's nothing in the wording to clarify this. If we were to interpret it differently, I can see the argument that it would be possible to have 14 spells (all from the Bard spell list) and 6 cantrips (or 8 if you're a Lore Bard) at level 10.

So it's all a bit confusing.

Just how many spells and/or cantrips can the Lore and Valor Bards have, really?

Or am I misreading the options?

A) Both the Lore and Valor Bards end up with 14 spells known each by 10th level, but the Lore Bard expands the list by 4 spells from other classes, while the Valor Bard ends up with only 2 additional spells.

B) The Lore Bard benefits from having 2 more spells known than the Lore Bard (16 to 14, respectively) because the Additional Magical Secrets are precisely that... additional.

C) The Lore Bard and Valor Bard can both have 4 and 2 additional cantrips respectively, but only have 12 and 10 spells known, respectively.

D) The Lore Bard and Valor Bard can both have 4 and 2 additional cantrips respectively, but with 12 spells known each (exclusively from the Bard class).

E) The Lore Bard can have 4 additional cantrips and still equal the Valor Bard with 2 additional cantrips with 14 spells known each (exclusively from the Bard class).

F) Some other confusing permutation I haven't thought of yet.

I'm guessing it's option F, but I'm too tired to think of other permutations.

Any help would be great, thanks!

Specter
2016-08-10, 02:22 PM
Good question

Sir cryosin
2016-08-10, 03:41 PM
What the hell did I read. I think your over thinking it I'm afb right now can't help other then this right now

JeffreyGator
2016-08-10, 03:44 PM
Hello, Giants!

B) The Lore Bard benefits from having 2 more spells known than the NON-Lore Bard (16 to 14, respectively) because the Additional Magical Secrets are precisely that... additional.

So B is the simplest case assuming that the additional secrets are taken as spells and yes the Lore Bard then knows two more spells. I believe this is RAI.

Taking additional cantrips rather than 5th , 7th, or 9th level spells generally hadn't occurred to me but I would think that you make a good argument that cantrips shouldn't count against your spells known and so if you completely forego cherry picking high level spells you could have much greater cantrip flexibility.

Possibly an extra 6 cantrips from any class being cast using cha. But you also pick a cantrip instead of Wish.

rudy
2016-08-10, 03:52 PM
You're trying to make cantrips "free" in this way is clearly not RAI, and I don't even think it's RAW. It says the chosen spells are "included in the number in the Spells Known column". That means the number is adjusted to account for these new spells to make things easier to track. It's not an opportunity to get free stuff, and it's pretty clear it's not meant to be.

That rant being said, I don't think your interpretation is actually problematic for game balance, since you'd be giving up access to higher level spells from other classes.

Tanarii
2016-08-10, 03:56 PM
My interpretation:

Magical Secrets are accounted for in the Known Spells on the Bard class table. If you pick a cantrip, it still counts as a known spell in terms of the table (even though cantrips normally don't count against Known Spells on a class's table).

Additional Magical Secrets are not accounted for in the Known Spells on the Bard class table, they're on top of those spells. If you pick a cantrip, it still doesn't count at a known spell from the table.

What the hell did I read.Haha my head hurt for a second too figuring out what the question was.

Scaleybob
2016-08-10, 08:22 PM
If I'm reading that all correctly, I think the answer is B. The Lore Bard will have 2 more spells known than the Valor Bard, from Additional Magical Secrets. The other Magical Secrets are incorporated in the Bards Spell list.

These 2 spells may be Cantrips, in which case the number of Spells known decreases by the number of Cantrips you choose instead of Lvl1 or higher spells, and the number of Cantrips you know increases by the same number.

You can choose Cantrips whenever you get Magical Secrets.

Some can be useful - Shillelagh casts with CHA as a magical secret, potentially giving a Bard a good melee attack, Eldritch Blast or Fire Bolt are both good damage dealers, and apparently the SCAG Cantrips can be good if you've got an already decent Melee attack. (Or you can just take Fireball, and annoy both the party Wizard, and the GM. :smallsmile:)